Profile for josie82 > Reviews

Content by josie82

josie82 (Fife, Scotland, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Elba A4 Extra Wide 10 Part Pressboard Divider
Elba A4 Extra Wide 10 Part Pressboard Divider

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any folder, 13 Aug. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Extra wide dividers are a must for anyone who likes to keep their documents in a folder but also likes to keep their documents in plastic wallets. With these dividers, even if you use plastic poly pocket wallets, you will still be able to see and read the tabs.

The dividers are made of sturdy material that are neither too thick nor too thin. They’re bright and easy to spot even in a packed folder.

These particular dividers are a set of 10 with 2 of each colour in a set. At a little over £3 for a set, this seems like a good price - and comparable to other sets I’ve seen - for keeping yourself organised. I would recommend them and will buy a few more sets for other folders. 5 stars.

Silentnight Ultrabounce Pillow - 4 Pack, White, Pack of 4
Silentnight Ultrabounce Pillow - 4 Pack, White, Pack of 4

5.0 out of 5 stars Super soft pillows, 23 July 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The unique selling point of these pillows is that they are very soft and very bouncy and they definitely live up to expectations.

The pillows themselves are quite substantial so there’s a lot of pillow there - not a thin pillow by any standards. I sleep on my front and side and found them perfect in their consistency and height as to not give me a sore neck while sleeping.

The best part about these pillows is how soft they are, not just for lying on but soft to the touch, too. They are silky smooth and an absolute joy to run your hand over. A standard pillow case fits them well without any excess fabric left at the side.

As they are so bouncy, they are easy to fit int he washing machine and so easy to wash. I found that after a wash they came out exactly the same look and feel as they went in.

These are nice, supportive pillows that are well made and perfect for me. If you’re looking for a soft, bouncy pillow then I would recommend these to you. 5 stars.

Leifheit Chip Cutter
Leifheit Chip Cutter

5.0 out of 5 stars The best chipper I’ve ever had, 16 July 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love homemade chips (and healthy veggie sticks too, I suppose!) and while it’s not a huge hassle to cut chips by hand, it can take a long time and getting each chip a uniform size is a bit hit or miss.

I’ve had and used chippers previously but none of them have really worked 100% or stood the test of time. I was very sceptical about whether this one would be any better but I am very happy to say I was wrong.

Firstly, the product is very easy to set up. You insert the blade that you want - to make either 10mm chips or 12mm chips and you’re ready to go.

The potato (or other veggie) goes into the slot and down into the chamber. Then, you simply press the handle which forces the vegetable onto the blade. From the front of the chipper comes perfectly cut chips. I’ve used both large and small potatoes in the chipper and it handles them equally well. You don’t need much pressure on the handle, either, so there’s no worry the whole thing is going to buckle. There are also non-slip coating on the bottom of the chipper to keep it steady on your unit.

Because the potato goes down and round the chamber, the chips come out with a slight curve to them. It’s probably not intentional but it’s a fun detail!

Once you’re done, the blade comes out and can be washed by hand or the whole thing pops in the dishwasher for even easier cleaning.

This is a really great piece of kit for the kitchen and a time-saver if you’re making your own chips or crudités. At a little over £20 at the time of writing, this is also great value for a really decent chipper. 5 stars.

Leifheit Pegasus Tower 190 Clothes Airer 81435
Leifheit Pegasus Tower 190 Clothes Airer 81435

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful and efficient airer, 16 July 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very large clothes airer, as evidenced by the size of the box when it arrives at your door.

There are some instructions, which are best left aside as you try to figure out what swings and clips where to get things into a simple A-frame shape. After you’ve done it, it makes so much more sense and easily goes up and down depending on whether you’re using your airer or storing it away.

I was impressed by the compact size of the airer compared to how much washing it holds. The bottom footprint is just 66cm x 61cm and with the flat shelves, I found it pushed back into corners without any problems. There are three shelves with 11 lines across each meaning there is a lot of space for your clothes. The blurb says there’s enough space for 2 full loads of washing. At its full height extended, it’s 150cm high.

This is a very useful airer that maximises the space available. It would be perfect for someone with a small space or if you just want to have that extra drying space if it decides to rain. The only reason that I didn’t give this 5 stars is because it didn’t fold down into a more storable size. While the base shrinks down to just 9cm, the height of the unit goes up to 163cm when not in use. So, unless you’re storing it under a bed, it really has to have the space up behind a door to keep it out of the way.

Still a useful, efficient airer and good value for what you get. Recommended.

Bourjois 1 Seconde Mascara, Ultra Black
Bourjois 1 Seconde Mascara, Ultra Black
Offered by catherinesss3

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mascara - a definite winner, 8 July 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Mascaras are a bit hit or miss for me - I either love them or hate them. This definitely falls into the love category.

Firstly, the bottle/tube is very much in the Bourjois style with a quirky, feminine style and a fun kick at the tip. It’s also a glossy black colour, almost silvery in some lights. Overall a nice looking product for your make-up bag.

The first thing I noticed about this mascara is that it requires more effort than other mascaras to get the wand from the bottle. This means there is no excess product on the wand when you pull it out and that means no clumps!

The wand itself is slightly unusual, reminding me of a medieval torture device of all things! It’s got bristles and little balls on it all the way round. The wand also bends ever so slightly when you put pressure on it. This allows you to move the brush to your eyelashes but still doesn’t give you unsightly clumps.

The mascara goes on well - you only need one coat and your lashes look full and black. It also doesn’t irritate my sensitive eyes which is always a bonus. It’s waterproof but as my eyes are quite watery, there were a couple of smudges under my eyes after a long day. Nothing like other waterproof mascaras so I’m assuming this is on me rather than the mascara.

Another great thing about this mascara is that it comes off with soap and water without a good scrubbing - another great thing.

And the price is great for what you get - £7.99 at the time of writing. I’ll definitely be getting this again when my current one runs out. Great product. 5 stars.

Tempting Kate (Mills & Boon Blaze)
Tempting Kate (Mills & Boon Blaze)

5.0 out of 5 stars A really enjoyable story, 29 Jun. 2017
This is the follow on story from Jennifer Snow’s last book, and another in the Wild Wedding Nights series, Her Holiday Fling. You don’t have to have read that one to enjoy this one, although it does help you understand Kate’s own disastrous almost-wedding.

This is a fairly simple story. Boy and girl meet and sparks fly. Then more sparks, this time in irritation, when they realise how they are connected. Then, what should just be angry or emotionless sex turns into something a little more complicated. Because of this, and because of the smooth writing style, it’s a quick read that very enjoyable.

I liked Kate - she’s got a vulnerability but at her heart she’s a confident, no-nonsense woman who goes out and gets exactly what she wants. I didn’t identify with her but I did like her. I loved Scott from the first moment that the reader likened him to Henry Cavil - swoon! Seriously though, he was a fun, at times grumpy, cheeky, stubborn man who was the perfect foil for Kate. I enjoyed them together, too - their chemistry just smouldering enough to make the love scenes give you that flip in your tummy.

The storyline of the 'secret' that Liz is keeping was an interesting one. I wasn’t sure how I felt about it and wasn’t sure if I should be angry, jealous, annoyed…I guess I was feeling exactly the same was that Kate was supposed to be feeling so the author did a great job with that one.

If I had one complaint about this book it’s that I always want an epilogue. Show me the couple a month, year, 5 years into their relationship. It adds so much but is left out so often. But other than that, this was a really enjoyable book that’s a light and quick read. 5 stars.

Belkin Sports Strap for 42mm Apple Watch Series 1 & 2 (Sweat Resistant Material, Air Flow Wave Design, Dual Lock Clasp) - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent watch strap, 29 Jun. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have mostly been wearing a metal link strap on my Apple Watch which is neither practical nor very comfortable when working out, or even just taking a quick walk. This seemed like a reasonable price for an alternative strap for using with my watch.

Firstly, the packaging is attractive and good quality. You can see the product without opening the box so you can immediately see if it’s what you’re after or not.

The band comes in two parts with a wide range of adjustment depending on your wrist size.

Each part of the strap slides easily on to your watch especially compared to "normal" watch straps. It makes it easy to change straps to match the use - exercise, going out, casual etc.

Once fitted to the watch, the strap is a bit fiddly to close because of the two clasps - more so than the basic Apple Watch strap. These two clasps are there to ensure the strap stays closed during exercise and they do a good job. It does become easier to put the strap on and close the clasps after a few days of wearing it - probably half due to the easing of the material and half due to the fact you get the hang of it!

Another plus of this strap is that if it becomes dirty during use then it can be easily cleaned as it’s washable. A good thing if you’re getting sweaty using this during exercise!

The strap is light weight and comfortable to wear and designed with ridges on the inside to allow for cooling airflow when working out.

As I mentioned, the band has a dual locking buckle and there has never been any question of the strap becoming loose during use.

The price of the strap is comparable with most other basic straps (£49 at the time of writing). It also comes in a range of colours depending on your preferences.

Overall I liked this strap. It compares in price to others on the market, it looks nice on my wrist and it does the job it’s supposed to do. 4 stars.

The Most Dangerous Duke in London (Decadent Dukes Society)
The Most Dangerous Duke in London (Decadent Dukes Society)

3.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to love it, 25 Jun. 2017
This is the first book in a new trilogy by Madeline Hunter which focuses on three Dukes, dubbed ‘The Decadent Dukes’.

Everyone in London society is on edge with the brooding Duke of Stratton’s return from France. His reputation for duelling has preceded him, and it is whispered he is bent on revenge for his father’s fall. Stratton is indeed resolved to ferret out the person/people who benefited, and learn the reasons his father was targeted. When he meets Clara Cheswick, the lovely, rebellious daughter of his most likely suspect, desire complicates his goals.

Clara may be the woman Stratton wants, but she’s far more interested in publishing her women’s journal than in being seduced—especially by a man rumoured to be dead-set on vengeance. Though, with her nose for a story, Clara wonders if he is sincere in his desire for justice—or in his incredibly unnerving insistence that they will one day wed. If her weak-kneed response to his kiss is any indication, falling for the duke clearly comes with costs, and perhaps dangers she does not anticipate.

I have heard excellent things about Madeline Hunter, her books and her writing, so I was looking forward to this book and the start of a new series. Add to that, I’m a sucker for a dark, brooding gent, so as far as I could see, this book couldn’t fail.

And it didn’t fail - it just sadly didn’t nearly live up to my expectations.

I liked Adam although, as other reviewers have pointed out, he was a wee bit overbearing and pompous at times. I don’t mind that in a hero, especially one that’s a duke since I suppose that it’s very likely all duke’s had this personality trait! While I found Clara much harder to like - she was just too needlessly argumentative and shrewish at times for my liking - I did enjoy the way she stood up to, and interacted with Adam.

While there were some interesting asides to the main love story in the book - such as Clara’s publication of a Lady’s Journal - I didn’t feel these added much to the story and since to the very last page they didn’t involve Adam or the overarching mystery, I did wonder what the point of it all really was. Not offensive, just a tad pointless.

There were a few other characters in the book. I liked both Langford and Brentworth - the heroes of the remaining books in the trilogy. We had a few of Clara’s friends and family who we didn’t get much detail of. And then there was Clara’s grandmother. She was a typical old harridan but it was hard to feel the dislike I felt we should feel for her and her machinations, when the main characters were so easy to forgive her.

The main reason for my not giving this book a higher rating was simply that I didn’t feel there was any chemistry between the characters. There was no descriptions that showed how the pair felt for each other - we were just told they felt that way. But it wasn’t just the chemistry that I felt was lacking - I just felt there wasn’t the richness and depth that I’ve come to expect from historical romance. There also wasn't the heat and sensuality that I prefer in a novel, but that didn’t affect my rating as that’s just my personal preference and not a criticism of the book, as such.

Having said all that, other reviewers have obviously really enjoyed the book so I would still give it a go, especially if you’re a fan of Madeline Hunter’s. But it’s only 3 stars from me, I’m afraid.

I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

essie Gel Couture Nail Polish, 360 Spiked with Style 13.5 ml
essie Gel Couture Nail Polish, 360 Spiked with Style 13.5 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous colour - good nail varnish, 19 Jun. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I chose colour 360, Spiked with Style essie Gel Couture nail varnish which is a deep, dark blood red colour.

The nail varnish comes in an interesting, twisted style bottle which does look nice and still gives you grip to twist off the lid and hold as you paint your nails.

The varnish itself goes on nice and smoothly. It does have that nice gel feel to it (which is as good a likeness of gel varnish as you could probably get without going to a nail technician or salon) and is very smooth when on. I needed three coats to get an even, consistent finish but luckily the coats dried fairly quickly in between coats.

The nail varnish lasted a good three or four days without chipping or needing a top-up coat which I found to be a really good length of time. Unfortunately for me, I hadn’t prepped my nails with a clear undercoat before using this polish and as a result the nail varnish did stain my nails.

Overall this was a great colour, a good nail varnish that looks good on and one that I would recommend and will happily use again. 4 stars.

Hallmark Dad Father's Day Card 'Two Things' - Medium
Hallmark Dad Father's Day Card 'Two Things' - Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute card, brilliant price, 16 Jun. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really nice card for Father’s Day and despite being a Hallmark card, still comes in at a really nice price (£1.85 at the time of writing this review).

The front of the card is a bright blue and the words ‘Dad' and ‘Father’s Day’ are slightly debossed and have a slight foil finish in red.

The card stock is nice and thick - good quality. Inside the pattern continues with a red inside on the left and white on the right. The card isn’t that shiny stuff that makes it hard to write on, either, which is always a good thing. The back page of the card is a nice yellow colour.

The whole card reads: “Dad, it’s Father’s Day and that means 2 things: 1 - you’re the boss! and 2…you should probably make the most of it ‘cos it ain’t gonna last!

Overall a cute card with a nice price tag and something I’m sure any Dad would be happy to receive on Father’s Day. 5 stars.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20