Profile for Coltar > Reviews

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa [DVD]
Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steve Coogan

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuinly the best film I've seen this year., 28 Nov. 2013
Absolutely fantastic film about. Coogan creates an interesting, exciting and dynamic plotline and, with the help of writer Armando Iannucci and a host of familiar cast members, successfully brings Alan to the big screen without sacrificing his essence. Like the individual episodes of Alan Partridge, I will watch this again and again and, similarly, use quotes from it again and again. Lovely stuff.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent on and off the bike., 12 Nov. 2013
Bought these shoes to do the coast to coast in England via the mountain bike route. I'm so glad I did. The weather held out well, but the terrain in which we had to hike-a-bike was terrible. For instance, I walked over Black Sail Pass in this pair and they were absolutely brilliant - they didn't slip once. In these situations the boots never lost any grip and maintained excellent ankle support. Similarly, I had no troubles with the boots on the bike either. My only qualm is that they aren't waterproof, but you do get excellent breathability instead and, anyway, this can be remedied by a pair of Sealskinz waterproof socks. Or, alternatively, you can get the next Shimano boot up which I think is waterproof. Regardless, this is an excellent boot. The sizing was fine for me, too.

Dark Ages: The Case for a Science of Human Behavior (Bradford Books)
Dark Ages: The Case for a Science of Human Behavior (Bradford Books)
by Lee Mcintyre

1.0 out of 5 stars Promises a lot but delivers very, very, little., 10 April 2011
I desperately wanted this book to provide a way forward; to show how social science might one day be able to accurately predict human behaviour. After finishing this book in 4 days however, I can confidently say that I have never felt so disappointed after reading a book. Let me explain...

The author starts by slating contemporary social science in all its forms, arguing that it should be more like the natural sciences in every conceivable way. Of course, this would be fantastic if it were possible, but at no point whatsoever does he provide any evidence as to how this would be achieved. Instead, he relies on abstract notions of how this can be done such as 'sociologists should be less politically biased', or 'social scientists need to be more empirically minded'.

The contradictions in this book are laughable, with arguments against current interpretivist sociology frequent but entirely unfounded and unsubstantial. Indeed, after providing a 'critique', the author then turns his hand to 'solutions' which include the following (this is no joke):

- 'We must watch out for resistance to knowledge' (in this paragraph he actually means 'resistance to anyone questioning positivist methodologies');

-'We must draw strength from the analogy with natural science' (at one point he argues that there exist no good reasons why society cannot be studied in the same way as natural science. The complexities of society, with its hidden number of unpredictable, historically-informed and culturally driven influences, are simply batted away in 6 pages of unbelievably simplistic 'counter-arguments');

I don't think I even need to provide an explanation beneath the next two - the vague simplicity is almost insulting:

-'We must pursue a methodology of inquiry that will help us learn from our data';

-'We must never lose sight of our ultimate goal: to discover the causal factors behind human action'.

Having such high hopes for this book I am bitterly disappointed. After finishing it, the best way I can describe it would be as basic, reductory, short, vague, uninformed and a complete waste of money.

If you want to better understand social behaviour have a read of Criminal Identities and Consumer Culture. It provides a far more digestible and comprehensive explanation to societal issues, covering the complex intersection of economics, politics, sociology and psychology. It completely overshadows this dreadful excuse for an academic text.

The Vertigo of Late Modernity
The Vertigo of Late Modernity
by Jock Young

5.0 out of 5 stars A benchmark in sociological literature, 9 Feb. 2011
Simply put, this is one of the most important pieces of theoretical literature available for the social sciences today. It explains everything with a depth and clarity that other books frequently find wanting.

A critical key text for any undergraduate or postgraduate humanities student.