Profile for Cinema > Reviews

Knight's Templar [DVD]
Dvd ~ Paul Sampson
Offered by Springwood Media

1.0 out of 5 stars Very AMATEUR production., 27 July 2016
This review is from: Knight's Templar [DVD] (DVD)
There are not many films that I actually regret purchasing, and I am fortunate to be able to count them on one hand. However, this film must be the worst of those few. David Carradine must really have been down on his luck to have accepted a part in such an amateur production as this. The acting is so robotic, it could easily be mistaken for a fourth grade school event, and one actually expects to hear someone shouting prompts from the sidelines. The plot is supposed to be a group or reincarnated Nights Templar... in modern day America. I have never been so bored. The irony of all this, is that the case artwork is the best part of the film. I'm being very generous rating this with 'ONE' star. Luckily, this garbage only cost me £0.01 + postage. I'll certainly keep this handy to entertain unwanted visitors. We live and learn.

In Search of Lawrence of Arabia [DVD]
In Search of Lawrence of Arabia [DVD]

4.0 out of 5 stars One of history's secrets., 27 Oct. 2013
In life, we all have to make our own dicisions. I read all of the previous reviews about this dvd, but had to make up my own mind as to why a couple were so bad, before purchasing a copy for my collection.

Captain: T.E. Lawrence has always been a sort of hero of mine... in a similar way that he has been to Michael Asher. I asked around a few friends and found one who had a copy of the dvd in question: In Search of Lawrence Of Arabia. The content description upon the rear of the dvd case is quite specific. From the writings of T.E.Lawrence in his book - 'Seven Pillars of Wisdon'... Michael Asher sets out to trace a journey described by T.E.Lawrence.... taking the mode that Lawrence describes he took... by Camel. The dvd provides many references from the book as Michael Asher and party progress the journey. Several questions are raised as it becomes apparent that details about the original journey from the book may not be entirely correct. What must be remembered here, is that certain modern day international bounderies did not exist during the course of the original journey, so the dvd includes many of the pitfalls encountered by the modern day traveller... in this case---> Michael Asher.

I found the dvd quite interesting, for rather than trying to imagine the landscape of the journey... its now there in reality, so it is placed into a form of perspective. I feel that this dvd did not stray in any way from what it set out to achieve. History alone knows as to why the various differences are present between what T.E.Lawrence wrote about in his book: 'Seven Pillars of Wisdom', and the entries for the same journey in his personal diary which is held by the British Museum.

A question I am now asking myself, is: What were the previous reviewers of this dvd.. expecting to get from it? It certainly produced what it describes. This is a most welcome companion to: Lawrence of Arabia (1962) + Lawrence of Arabia - The man behind the legend (2008).

Battle Of Blood Island [DVD]
Battle Of Blood Island [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard Devon
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars A class of its own!, 19 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Battle Of Blood Island [DVD] (DVD)
Before I bought this film, I looked at the storyline.. which I do with every film I'm interested in. The plot read as one that would be interesting. However, when viewing the actual film.... oh my word... what a let down! The total budget for this film must have been around the £10 mark. This can't actually be classed as an entertaining film in any respect. Its worse than a compilation of cutting room floor tag ons. Boring.... thats a vast understatement. I remember doing this sort of acting in the school playground. The acting... I've seen better from 2nd graders in the school yard. I can honestly say that this is THE WORST WW.2 film I have ever seen. In fact, its so bad, I could not bring myself to sit through the whole boring episode. Five minutes, thats all I could handle. The initial beach landing/fighting sequence is so pathetic and drawn out, even the participants look bored with it. Automatic fire from BOLT ACTION rifles.. wrong weapons for the countries involved.. UTTER GARBAGE. At one point, I fully expect some of Japanese erm... actors... to start thier own sound effects = ratatat.. ratatat.. brrrrrrrrrp, brrrrrrrrrp, blam, blam. How on earth this has been given a four or five star rating... is mind boggling! In honesty... SAVE YOUR MONEY!