Profile for hardeman > Reviews

Content by hardeman

hardeman

Film Is Not Dead: A Digital Photographer's Guide to Shooting Film (Voices That Matter)
by Jonathan Canlas

3.0 out of 5 stars Still consulted on a regular basis., 24 Jun. 2015
The book succeeds in creating enthousiasm for shooting film and gives some quite useful tips.
On the hardware side it sound a bit like a promo for the Contax 645 (which happens to be the author's favorite camera).
The popular writing style is not quite for me but I can imagine it appealing to a younger audience.
All in all a book that I do not regret to have bought. I revisit the sections about measuring light and exposure compensation by film type regularly. Also the characteristics by film type.

Sally Mann: Immediate Family
Sally Mann: Immediate Family
by Reynolds Price

5.0 out of 5 stars One word: Brilliant, 6 Jan. 2014
Of all of my photo books this has to be the one than made most of an impact.
I love the juxtaposed feeling of family security and the vague anxiety that there most be something lurking in the woods.
I love the display of innocence whilst not leaving out the rough edges (cuts and bruises etc).
An absolute masterpiece.

The Last Resort
The Last Resort
by Martin Parr

5.0 out of 5 stars If I could only take one such picture in my lifetime, 6 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Last Resort (Hardcover)
I'm a fan of Martin Parr (in as far as I think to understand how he rolls) and his work. I had The Last Resort on my wish list for a while and included it in a year end photo book shopping spree.
Although I had seen most of the pictures beforehand I just had to have this classic myself.

Torre David
Torre David
by Alfredo Brillembourg

4.0 out of 5 stars Fashinating story and great photography, 6 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Torre David (Hardcover)
I bought the book for it's photography (fellow countyman Iwan Baan) but was pleasantly surprized by the coverage and analysis of how the community originated and developed. Homegrown infrastructure and all.

Bruce Davidson: Outside Inside
Bruce Davidson: Outside Inside
by Bruce Davidson

2.0 out of 5 stars Books are great but arrived damaged due to lousy packaging, 6 Jan. 2014
I'm having trouble rating this because it's like my camera's light meter: Are a very positive and a very negative experience appropriately summarizedas as 18% grey?

The books are great, so 4 to 5 stars there.

The 3 volumes are placed in a fabric clad hardbox, which in turn is contained in a dedicated shoebox carton. The seller had wrapped around a single layer of the thinnest ondulated cardboard which gave no protection against the treatment the 8.5 KG package could be expected to receive in transport. As a result I now have one of the 3 books damaged and the box as well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 3, 2015 8:57 PM GMT