Profile for MertleL > Reviews

MODERN HOUSE SIGN PLAQUE DOOR NUMBER STREET GLASS EFFECT ACRYLIC ALUMINIUM NAME
MODERN HOUSE SIGN PLAQUE DOOR NUMBER STREET GLASS EFFECT ACRYLIC ALUMINIUM NAME
Offered by House Plaques

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful!, 28 Mar. 2017
Item was received quickly. It looks modern and is excellent value for the price. We did have an issue with a blob on one of the numbers but the seller quickly issued a replacement.

ToddlerCalm: A guide for calmer toddlers and happier parents
ToddlerCalm: A guide for calmer toddlers and happier parents
by Sarah Ockwell-Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars but this guide offers a good overall approach for gentle parenting that I myself aim ..., 25 Feb. 2017
This book offers an emphatic guide to parenting toddlers, and an detailed understanding of what is 'normal' toddler behaviour. The overall approach is to model and treat our children with respect and kindness and it gives lots of examples about how to achieve this when dealing with a range of behaviours from tantrums to picky eating. It is not about quick fixes but putting the work in for the long term.

The book is not advocating allowing our children to do as they please, on the contrary it emphasises the importance of having consistent and clear boundaries, just delivering these in a gentler, respectful way. This kind of approach is obviously going to take time and patience, so I think common sense is needed that it is unrealistic that a parent is going to always be able to sit through every tantrum offering understanding etc, but this guide offers a good overall approach for gentle parenting that I myself aim for most of the time.

Personalised Wheelie Bin Stickers House Number Street Name
Personalised Wheelie Bin Stickers House Number Street Name
Offered by Walls of Wisdom

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 26 Jan. 2017
Arrived quickly, easy to apply and look good.

The Girl on the Train
The Girl on the Train
by Paula Hawkins

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying, easy read, 26 Jan. 2017
This review is from: The Girl on the Train (Paperback)
Rachel is the lead narrator, with a lot of issues and layers to her personality. An unlikely protagonist, who has lost everything. Underneath her unwise choices is a desire to do good and be noticed. She is more than who she has become. Her unreliability and lack of self control is key to the suspense and drama that follow. By the end of the book, she paves her way as a strong rather than pitiful character. The two other narrators equally have their own inner demons, and are not so dissimilar in their troubles and motivations. Anna is the least likeable.

I was gripped at first and read the book very quickly. I worked out who the villain was. The novel kept it's pace until about two thirds in, when I found the story got repetitive and Rachel's visit to the therapist seemed a rather contrived and pointless way to keep the suspense and get from a to b.

Nevertheless, it is still a really good read. The end plot twist, though not surprising, is satisfying.

Fisher-Price Dance and Move BeatBo - Multi-Coloured
Fisher-Price Dance and Move BeatBo - Multi-Coloured

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 24 Jan. 2017
I was disappointed with this as expected it to play more songs. My 15 month old, who loves to dance and move, isn't interested

Little Tikes Perfect Fit -in- Trike (Teal)
Little Tikes Perfect Fit -in- Trike (Teal)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 24 Jan. 2017
Initially found the trike frustrating to put together. It's not complex, but some of the parts needed a lot of force to fit them together and didn't line up well. I had to get someone with more strength to help me. The canopy is wonky, due to fitting poorly, and doesn't feel very secure. Once fully assembled, the trike looks good and is easy to steer on the flat and rides well on grass. My 15 month old enjoys it so happy with the purchase at the reduced price.

Smith's Mini Mat - One-Piece Silicone Placemat + Plate (Lime) + FREE Smith's Caterpillar Silicone Spoon (RRP: £3.99) Perfect for High Chair + Traveling
Offered by Smith's Merchandise

5.0 out of 5 stars Really useful, 11 Dec. 2016
Great mat. If given a bowl or plate, my toddler would just throw them onto the floor so meals are less messy with the mat. My toddler can join in with mealtimes at the table too. The mat is also really useful to take when eating out to ensure there is a clean surface for putting food on.

The New Contented Little Baby Book: The Secret to Calm and Confident Parenting
The New Contented Little Baby Book: The Secret to Calm and Confident Parenting
by Gina Ford

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful book., 15 Aug. 2016
This book was passed onto me and I quickly decided that Gina's militant approach wasn't for me. Gina does not respect the individual needs of babies and thinks that they should be trained to eat and sleep exactly to her schedule. As someone who has extensive experience working with children, I was quite frankly appalled by her controlling routines and timetabling of a baby, rather than encouraging a parent to actually understand their baby for themselves. Her advice on breastfeeding is very ill advised and could lead to unsuccessful breastfeeding. For example, she advocates timed feeds and pumping, both of which can interfere with the delicate supply and demand system that breastfeeding depends on to work. I disliked this book that much that I actually binned it rather than donating it so that there would be one fewer copy in circulation!

Boobin' All Day Boobin' All Night: A Gentle Approach To Sleep For Breastfeeding Families

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read for breastfeeding families, 4 Aug. 2016
I wish I'd had this book with my first baby when I was feeling pressured that she should've been sleeping better, eating more solids and was 'too attached' to me. It really knocked my confidence as a mother. This is a great book based on research and Meg's own experiences as a mother and lactation consultant. I like that it isn't too long (ideal for tired, busy parents!) and the tone of the book is supportive rather than directive. Unlike many baby/child books, it treats the parents with respect, giving them ideas rather than telling them what to do. I think it is also realistic about the pressures of sleep deprivation and offers useful, practical advice for night weaning after 18 months old. Would recommend.

Disney Princess Little Kingdom Magiclip 7-Doll Giftset
Disney Princess Little Kingdom Magiclip 7-Doll Giftset

3.0 out of 5 stars Expensive and poor quality, 16 July 2016
Bought these for our daughters fourth birthday as she had liked playing with a friend's set. It is easy to take the dresses off and on and our daughter has enjoyed playing with them but they are pretty flimsy, not what you would expect given how pricey they are. Within the first hour, our daughter had snapped the strap on one of the dresses. I am not expecting them to last long, which is a shame because the idea is good.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3