Profile for Mertlew > Reviews

Mertlew "mertlew" (London)

The Gentle Sleep Book: For calm babies, toddlers and pre-schoolers
The Gentle Sleep Book: For calm babies, toddlers and pre-schoolers

5.0 out of 5 stars Would recommend, 19 July 2015
As someone who believes in gentle methods for encouraging sleep (and parenting in general) I liked this book. I found it informative with regards to understanding normal sleep for young children and it offered a refreshing alternative to the vast very prescriptive and harsher sleep guides out there. I read this as a parent of a toddler with the worst of sleep deprivation behind me as my child does generally sleep through all night nowadays. As someone who has never been comfortable with sleep training, I found it reassured me in the approach I had already taken with my child but still offered some useful advice that I could take going forward.

Master Class 23cm Non-Stick Round Deep Cake Pan With Loose Base
Master Class 23cm Non-Stick Round Deep Cake Pan With Loose Base

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 19 July 2015
The tin arrived promptly and I have used it twice for sponge cakes. I just greased the tin and the cake came out easily both times without needing lining with baking paper.

FMM Uppercase Funky Alphabet & Number Tappit Set
FMM Uppercase Funky Alphabet & Number Tappit Set

3.0 out of 5 stars Like the letter shapes but requires practice!, 19 July 2015
I found it tricky to get the letters out of the cutters. I followed the instructions and rocked the cutter as described to make the letter shape, but some part of the icing always got stuck and had to be prized out or I had to cut around the letter to get a clean edge. They were lovely letter shapes but practice will be needed to get a really neat finish.

New Angelsounds Baby Fetal Doppler Angel Sound Heart Monitor Detector With FREE CDs + GEL + RECORDING CABLE + BATTERY + NOTE CARD
Offered by Electronic Sale Online

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked but needs to be used with caution, 17 April 2015
I bought this from 15 weeks pregnant. It arrived promptly and the device is simple to operate. The instructions with regards to finding the baby's heartbeat are not detailed or clear enough. I couldn't find a heartbeat (except for my own) which panicked me and caused unnecessary worrying. I sought help from a health professional and it turned out that I had been placing the monitor too high up for my gestation. I was shown how to use it correctly and was then able to find the heartbeat but I found the sound quality to be poor and it is difficult to pick out the heartbeat amongst all the other noises. This kind of monitoring should maybe be left to professionals.

VTech Baby Sleepy Bear Sweet Dreams
VTech Baby Sleepy Bear Sweet Dreams
Offered by Thinkprice

1.0 out of 5 stars Great product if you can get one that works!, 20 May 2013
Bought two of these. Both stopped working within a week which was a real shame as really liked the product and my baby seemed to love it. Easy to fit and use, nice music and sounds. Remote control a really good feature. If you can find a model that works then I expect you'll be pleased with it.

BabyCalm: A Guide for Calmer Babies and Happier Parents
BabyCalm: A Guide for Calmer Babies and Happier Parents
by Sarah Ockwell-Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!, 15 Dec. 2012
I didn't think to buy any books before having my baby but once she arrived, I was given a parenting book and found that even though it didn't sit right with me, I ended up trying the routines and practises it suggested just because I thought I should.

I decided to just do things my way but often felt guilty that I was doing things that so many experts banded as 'mistakes' or 'bad habits' such as feeding to sleep.

This book however, completely resonated with how I wanted to parent. It gives common sense ideas and suggestions and supports parents in using their instincts and having the confidence to make their own decisions about what is best for their child. I would really recommend this book.

The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems (By Teaching You How to Ask the Right Questions): Sleeping, feeding and behaviour - beyond the basics through infancy and toddlerdom
by Melinda Blau

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 15 Nov. 2012
A friend really recommended this so I thought I'd give it a go. There is some useful advice in here but I found the tone of the book to be very patronising (she refers to the reader as 'luv' all the way through). I tried the E.A.S.Y. (Eat, Activity, Sleep, You) approach but my breastfed baby fell into such a deep sleep after feeding that waking her for her 'activity time' and then spending ages getting her to sleep again (by using the books 'shush pat' technique) seemed ridiculous and a waste of our time and energy. I quickly wondered why, when I was so sleep deprived, I was spending up to an hour getting my baby to sleep when I could have the job done in minutes by simply feeding her. The books is also contradictory. For instance, the author advises against using 'props' such as rocking or cuddling a baby to sleep, but instead promotes that all babies should be swaddled and 'shush patted' to sleep. Surely any sleep method that is continually used will develop a sleep association or 'prop'? There is no room for individuality or giving parents any choice of strategies. For example, if your baby resists swaddling or a dummy, the parent should just persist until the baby accepts it, there is no alternative.

I quickly abandoned the book and decided to just respond to my babies needs and trust my own instincts about when she was ready for a routine to be developed. I did all the 'terrible' things that the booked warns against (labelled as accidental parenting) such as feeding my baby to sleep. As it happens, I have never had any problems with some of the matters that the book is concerned with such as crying or getting my baby to sleep. Like any parenting approach, what works is very individual and this book just wasn't for me.

Mum E Pillow - Pregnancy Support Pillow - Free White Removeable Cover Free Fast Delivery

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 27 April 2012
I found this pillow great for supporting my legs and liked the way that the shape wrapped around you. It also seemed to stop me from rolling onto my back. However, I found it just too hard to sleep on comfortably and got a sore neck from it. One arm ended up being squashed as in order to position yourself correctly, you have to put your arm underneath the pillow. Also, I don't know how you would manage to get your bump onto the middle as the pillow is so deep. I used it for about a fortnight and then returned to just using a standard pillow underneath my bump. It is probably a personal choice, but this pillow wasn't for me.

Samsung S5830i Galaxy Ace Onyx Black
Samsung S5830i Galaxy Ace Onyx Black
Offered by elevenfirst

2.0 out of 5 stars Good phone but problems, 1 Aug. 2011
I chose this as my first smartphone because it is cheaper than the iphone but appeared to have similar functionality. The phone is very intuitive to use. It is light and looks smart. The screen quality is fine though the camera is pretty basic - I have found it difficult to get pictures that aren't blurred. The touchscreen is very responsive though the screen saver comes on very quickly if the phone is inactive which is frustrating. You can adjust the time out but not by much. I have found the wi-fi to be really good - it connects immediately. The phone comes with lots of apps and functions and I would overall be very happy with the phone if it weren't for the fact that it turns itself off randomly.

I am actually using my second handset after returning the first because it was switching itself off so much (several times a day). I either had to hold the on button down for a long time or take the battery out to turn it on again. The replacement phone that I have still does this occasionally. Someone I know has also experienced the same problem with the Galaxy Ace so this is clearly a defect and one that is extremely annoying and not acceptable in my opinion given that the phone, although cheaper than others on the market, is still on the higher end of what I would pay. For this reason, I would be wary of recommending it.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2014 8:18 AM BST

He's Just Not That Into You: The No-Excuses Truth to Understanding Guys
He's Just Not That Into You: The No-Excuses Truth to Understanding Guys
by Greg Behrendt

2.0 out of 5 stars Not to be taken too seriously..., 3 July 2005
Yes, I agree that many women allow themselves to be ruled by their emotions and to make excuses for bad behaviour from men. However, I don't agree with the whole 'one-strike-and-your-out' approach of this book.
According to this book, if he puts a single foot wrong - he's not that into you and you should get rid. As someone who has spent far too many years with her head in romantic novels, this book encourages the whole fairy tale romance - that Prince Charming will just appear and will know and want to please your every need. It doesn't work like that. Relationships take work and effort from both sides.
Men, just as much as women do, come with life experiences and emotional 'baggage' if you like and sometimes need encouraging. If he's not confident enough to ask you out, then he's 'not that into you'. Maybe he is too shy to ask you out but does this really mean that he is also not capable of being a loving boyfriend?
Have a laugh at reading but treat with caution...