Profile for Mertlew > Reviews

Disney Princess Little Kingdom Magiclip 7-Doll Giftset
Disney Princess Little Kingdom Magiclip 7-Doll Giftset
Offered by FALCON DIRECT

3.0 out of 5 stars Expensive and poor quality, 16 July 2016
Bought these for our daughters fourth birthday as she had liked playing with a friend's set. It is easy to take the dresses off and on and our daughter has enjoyed playing with them but they are pretty flimsy, not what you would expect given how pricey they are. Within the first hour, our daughter had snapped the strap on one of the dresses. I am not expecting them to last long, which is a shame because the idea is good.

Mamaway Baby Ring Sling | Carrier | Birth to 3 Yr Breastfeeding | Can hold baby iin different positions | Tested to Hold 50kg for 24 Hrs | Baby Shower Gift| One Size Fits All |Lilac
Offered by Mamaway

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, quality sling that is quick and easy to use., 12 July 2016
I purchased this for my nine month old baby, who has been carried inward facing, in a wrap sling. He now prefers to be held more on my hip and tends to protest at being inward facing because he likes to look around. I found that it was difficult to tie my wrap sling into the hip carry so wanted something less fiddly. I am very pleased with the Mamaway sling. It is very quick and simple to tie baby into position and I have found it great for popping baby in and out whenever he needs holding. He can look around easily and I can have my hands free. When he is tired, he falls asleep on my chest. The sling is comfy and I love the look and quality of the fabric. Initially, I found that my neck ached after a while but having had more practice with tying the sling, I don't have this problem and have been able to comfortably wear baby for long periods. I would certainly recommend this product.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2016 11:04 AM BST

Chicco Next to Me - Dove Grey
Chicco Next to Me - Dove Grey
Offered by Golfgear4less & Babythingz

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for us, 20 Nov. 2015
We borrowed this product from a friend for our newborn. It was easy to put together and in theory, a good idea but in practice not great for us. Five weeks into using it and our newborn still won't be put down in it but will sleep on other, softer surfaces. I can only assume that this is because the mattress is so hard. It must be quite a stark difference for baby from being cosy in our arms to being put down onto this very hard surface. It's also not that practical for breastfeeding. You cannot slide the baby between beds and still have to sit up to pick up and return baby. Not great when you're feeding so frequently. The ability to raise or lower each side independently is a good feature.

The Gentle Sleep Book: For calm babies, toddlers and pre-schoolers
The Gentle Sleep Book: For calm babies, toddlers and pre-schoolers

5.0 out of 5 stars Would recommend, 19 July 2015
As someone who believes in gentle methods for encouraging sleep (and parenting in general) I liked this book. I found it informative with regards to understanding normal sleep for young children and it offered a refreshing alternative to the vast very prescriptive and harsher sleep guides out there. I read this as a parent of a toddler with the worst of sleep deprivation behind me as my child does generally sleep through all night nowadays. As someone who has never been comfortable with sleep training, I found it reassured me in the approach I had already taken with my child but still offered some useful advice that I could take going forward.

Master Class Non-Stick Deep Round Cake Tin With Loose Base, 23 cm
Master Class Non-Stick Deep Round Cake Tin With Loose Base, 23 cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 19 July 2015
The tin arrived promptly and I have used it twice for sponge cakes. I just greased the tin and the cake came out easily both times without needing lining with baking paper.

FMM Uppercase Funky Alphabet & Number Tappit Set
FMM Uppercase Funky Alphabet & Number Tappit Set
Offered by The Vanilla Valley

3.0 out of 5 stars Like the letter shapes but requires practice!, 19 July 2015
I found it tricky to get the letters out of the cutters. I followed the instructions and rocked the cutter as described to make the letter shape, but some part of the icing always got stuck and had to be prized out or I had to cut around the letter to get a clean edge. They were lovely letter shapes but practice will be needed to get a really neat finish.

New Angelsounds Baby Fetal Doppler Angel Sound Heart Monitor Detector With FREE CDs + GEL + RECORDING CABLE + BATTERY + NOTE CARD
Offered by Electronic Sale Online

3.0 out of 5 stars Worked but needs to be used with caution, 17 April 2015
I bought this from 15 weeks pregnant. It arrived promptly and the device is simple to operate. The instructions with regards to finding the baby's heartbeat are not detailed or clear enough. I couldn't find a heartbeat (except for my own) which panicked me and caused unnecessary worrying. I sought help from a health professional and it turned out that I had been placing the monitor too high up for my gestation. I was shown how to use it correctly and was then able to find the heartbeat but I found the sound quality to be poor and it is difficult to pick out the heartbeat amongst all the other noises. This kind of monitoring should maybe be left to professionals.

VTech Baby Sleepy Bear Sweet Dreams
VTech Baby Sleepy Bear Sweet Dreams
Offered by SKYWISH

1.0 out of 5 stars Great product if you can get one that works!, 20 May 2013
Bought two of these. Both stopped working within a week which was a real shame as really liked the product and my baby seemed to love it. Easy to fit and use, nice music and sounds. Remote control a really good feature. If you can find a model that works then I expect you'll be pleased with it.

BabyCalm: A Guide for Calmer Babies and Happier Parents
BabyCalm: A Guide for Calmer Babies and Happier Parents
by Sarah Ockwell-Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!, 15 Dec. 2012
I didn't think to buy any books before having my baby but once she arrived, I was given a parenting book and found that even though it didn't sit right with me, I ended up trying the routines and practises it suggested just because I thought I should.

I decided to just do things my way but often felt guilty that I was doing things that so many experts banded as 'mistakes' or 'bad habits' such as feeding to sleep.

This book however, completely resonated with how I wanted to parent. It gives common sense ideas and suggestions and supports parents in using their instincts and having the confidence to make their own decisions about what is best for their child. I would really recommend this book.

The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems (By Teaching You How to Ask the Right Questions): Sleeping, feeding and behaviour - beyond the basics through infancy and toddlerdom
by Melinda Blau

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 15 Nov. 2012
A friend really recommended this so I thought I'd give it a go. There is some useful advice in here but I found the tone of the book to be very patronising (she refers to the reader as 'luv' all the way through). I tried the E.A.S.Y. (Eat, Activity, Sleep, You) approach but my breastfed baby fell into such a deep sleep after feeding that waking her for her 'activity time' and then spending ages getting her to sleep again (by using the books 'shush pat' technique) seemed ridiculous and a waste of our time and energy. I quickly wondered why, when I was so sleep deprived, I was spending up to an hour getting my baby to sleep when I could have the job done in minutes by simply feeding her. The books is also contradictory. For instance, the author advises against using 'props' such as rocking or cuddling a baby to sleep, but instead promotes that all babies should be swaddled and 'shush patted' to sleep. Surely any sleep method that is continually used will develop a sleep association or 'prop'? There is no room for individuality or giving parents any choice of strategies. For example, if your baby resists swaddling or a dummy, the parent should just persist until the baby accepts it, there is no alternative.

I quickly abandoned the book and decided to just respond to my babies needs and trust my own instincts about when she was ready for a routine to be developed. I did all the 'terrible' things that the booked warns against (labelled as accidental parenting) such as feeding my baby to sleep. As it happens, I have never had any problems with some of the matters that the book is concerned with such as crying or getting my baby to sleep. Like any parenting approach, what works is very individual and this book just wasn't for me.

Page: 1 | 2