Profile for SlasherFreak > Reviews

Ghostbusters/Ghostbusters 2 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Ghostbusters/Ghostbusters 2 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Bill Murray

1.0 out of 5 stars Who Am I Gonna Call?, 15 Sept. 2014
Ghostbusters was an instant classic when I first saw it in cinemas in 1984 and remains so to this day. Ghostbusters 2 didn't quite hit the same mark but was still great, nonetheless. But Ghostbusters TWELVE? REALLY?!! What the hell happened to Ghostbusters 3 to 11? Were these 'straight to video' flops which disappeared into the afterlife or have I been asleep for the last 25 years? Much as I love the Ghostbusters franchise I don't think I'll be buying this Blu-Ray until I've caught up on the other nine movies I've somehow missed but I can't find them on Amazon anywhere. Help anyone?
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 6, 2016 9:58 PM BST

Doctor Who - The Enemy of the World [DVD]
Doctor Who - The Enemy of the World [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patrick Troughton

1.0 out of 5 stars Doctor Poo!, 21 Nov. 2013
I first watched Doctor Who in 2010 as I was curious to see what all the fuss was about and, truth be told, I loved it and am now totally addicted. David Tennant was great although, in my opinion, Matt Smith was simply awesome and I was therefore gutted to learn that he would be leaving the show to be replaced by a new Doctor. I couldn't wait to get my hands on this DVD so I downloaded the episodes from iTunes when they were first released last month. What a disappointment! It looks like the current austerity measures have finally hit the BBC as the sets are appalling and the special effects are an absolute joke. I believe this story is set sometime in the 1960s and I'm guessing was filmed in black and white in a failed attempt to add 'atmosphere' to what is actually a very weak and poorly scripted story. As for this new doctor (Patrick Capaldi), despite the hype and national media coverage when he was revealed recently, I'm afraid he's just not the right man for the job (perhaps we've all been spoiled by Mr Smith?). Let's hope that the Doctor's next regeneration is not too far away or this show will be forgotten in no time (no pun intended, sorry!) and will be over before it's begun. Not good!
Comment Comments (15) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2015 7:48 PM BST

Now That's What I Call Music! 86
Now That's What I Call Music! 86
Offered by Global_Deals

1.0 out of 5 stars Now That's What I Call......Crap., 21 Nov. 2013
I grew up in the 80's and, for my money, this was simply the greatest decade ever for pop music. Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Samantha Fox, Rene and Ronato.... love 'em all. 1986 is the year which brings back the greatest memories for me - my first car, THAT holiday in Tenby and my beloved Coventry City winning the FA Cup! I bought this album hoping to again relive those happy days but what? No Kylie? No Wet Wet Wet? No Deacon Blue? How the hell can they get away with calling this 'Now That's What I Call Music 86' when I would say that well over half of these tracks are not even from that decade, let alone the year. To be honest, I don't even remember most of these artists so it's clearly a collection of wannabe one hit wonders thrown together at the last minute for the usual Christmas cash in. Absolute rubbish. If you, too, were a child of the 80's you'd be better off digging out your old twelve inches and listening to some real talent! Avoid.
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2013 11:58 PM GMT

Avengers Assemble [DVD]
Avengers Assemble [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Downey Jr.
Offered by DVD Overstocks

1.0 out of 5 stars Marvel-ously disappointing!, 5 July 2012
This review is from: Avengers Assemble [DVD] (DVD)
Let's be honest - who doesn't love the Avengers? I for one can't get enough of Honor Blackman as the gorgeous Emma Peel and I've almost worn out my DVD box set! Things took a turn for the worse in 1998 when the dreadful big-screen version of this classic show hit cinema screens, a movie I still can't bring myself to watch again even after all these years. I had high hopes for this latest reboot but left the cinema completely confused. What's with all the outrageous costumes and ridiculous powers that these 're-imagined' character now have? Was this really necessary? And where the hell was Cathy Gale? Whilst I accept that a 60's cult classic may require some updating to appeal to the younger audience of today, they really have gone too far this time. Bring back Joanna Lumley's kinky boots - this new offering is simply dire.
Comment Comments (30) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2013 12:21 AM GMT

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo [Blu-ray]
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Noomi Rapace

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad language!, 6 Jan. 2012
Read the book last year and it's now one of my all time favourites. I raved about it so much that my cousin bought me the Blu Ray for Christmas. However, I was extremely disappointed to find that this film was made in a different language (French I think?) so is unwatchable (in my opinion, anyway). Why on earth would they make it in a foreign language when the book is in English? Stupid.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2013 4:22 PM BST

Kinect Disneyland Adventures (Xbox 360)
Kinect Disneyland Adventures (Xbox 360)
Offered by Netro Enterprise

1.0 out of 5 stars Disney Bland Adventures!, 6 Jan. 2012
Thought this would be a great game which would allow the kids to let off steam and get a bit of exercise with the Kinect. Oh dear, how wrong I was. However, to be fair, it certainly does deliver a true Disney experience.

Rather than dive straight on to the famous 'rides' and 'attractions', the game requires you to stand motionless in your lounge for an average of TWO hours per mini-game so as to provide players with the feeling of a 'virtual' queue. When you've actually reached the front of the queue, the game randomly informs you that the ride has just been closed for maintenance and will be shut for the rest of the day. In addition to this, your character is constantly jostled by obnoxious fat Yanks and it takes forever to get round. My kids played for nine hours on Christmas Day and only managed to get on TWO rides (would have been three but my youngest was about an inch and a half too short to go on - the Kinect sensor actually measures your height!). My eldest was also sick after the Thunder Mountain mini-game as the Kinect requires you to spin round on the spot as fast as you can whilst leaning forward with your forehead on a broom to recreate the dizzy feeling.

I eventually got so annoyed with this game that I swore at the TV - and was immediately asked to leave the Park by two virtual security men.

Might try the Disneyland Paris Adventures next as it's a bit cheaper although I've heard that the Kinect voice commands don't respond to English (even though you know that it can damn-well hear you AND understand you) and will only ever talk to you in French. And the food's crap.

Merde!
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2012 2:05 PM GMT

Star Wars: The Complete Saga [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
Star Wars: The Complete Saga [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Harrison Ford

1.0 out of 5 stars What a Yoda Rubbish!!, 6 Jan. 2012
These are probably my favourite movies of all time and when I heard they were coming out on Blu-Ray I decided to upgrade my DVD player and TV just so that I could watch them in stunning HD. However, a word of warning to all you Star Wars fans - I have two major criticisms with this box set:

1) The picture quality is SO good that it really stands out that Yoda is just a puppet in Episodes I-III and it looks so fake that it spoiled my enjoyment of these movies. Even the puppet used in the the first film looks better on Blu-Ray and that's now 25 years old.

2) Despite the adverts which I've seen on the Internet over Christmas, Phantom Menace is NOT in 3D. Really annoyed that they can get away with saying this, especially after spending so much money on an extra pair of 3-D glasses.

My advice? The first three are better on DVD because the picture isn't so good so I recommend that you buy the complete Blu-Ray box set, keep the discs of the original films (IV-VI) and sell the others (but include your old DVDs of Episodes IV-VI to help you sell them).

Hope this helps.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2012 9:11 AM GMT

Fantastic Four - Rise Of The Silver Surfer [Blu-ray] [2007]
Fantastic Four - Rise Of The Silver Surfer [Blu-ray] [2007]
Dvd ~ Ioan Gruffudd

1.0 out of 5 stars 'Pants'-tastic Four, 26 Dec. 2011
Watched this movie and didn't have a clue what was going on! This is probably because it was the first 'Fantastic' movie I've watched so I don't know the back story or how these characters got their super powers. I expect this film would be a lot more enjoyable if you've seen Fantastic, Fantastic 2 and Fantastic 3 before watching number 4. I've looked on Amazon to see if they do a box set of the previous three movies but couldn't seem to find it. Does anyone know where I can get this from? Please help.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 12, 2013 6:32 PM BST

The King's Speech [DVD]
The King's Speech [DVD]
Dvd ~ Colin Firth
Offered by MediaMerchants

1.0 out of 5 stars What were they thin-King?, 24 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The King's Speech [DVD] (DVD)
Heard this was a good film which had won several awards so decided to give it a go. However, this turned out to be a very expensive decision. Four new DVD players later I've realised that my player wasn't faulty and the disc wasn't sticking or skipping. Might try The Queen instead as at least you can understand what she's saying and the subtitles will probably f-f-f-f-f-f-f-fit on the screen properly. Bit of a let-down really.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 17, 2012 9:30 PM BST

It's a Wonderful Life: 65th Anniversary Edition (includes free poster and artcards) [Blu-ray] [1946]
Dvd ~ James Stewart

1.0 out of 5 stars It's A Wonderful Rip-Off!!, 24 Dec. 2011
Everyone raves about this being one of the best films ever made so decided to watch it for the first time yesterday. However, the part where George Bailey sees what his home town would be like if he hadn't been born (mostly owned by Mr Potter with bars, casinos, clubs etc) seemed strangely familiar. I then realised that this is a complete rip-off of Back To The Future Part II where Marty returns to the alternate 1985 to find the town is very different (mostly owned by Biff Tannen with bars, casinos, clubs etc - see what I mean?). Can't see why It's A Wonderful Life is considered as a classic when there's nothing here that we didn't see 22 years ago in the second instalment of a REAL classic trilogy. Plagarism at its worst. Avoid.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 10, 2014 12:38 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3