Profile for PAULINE LEEEVANS > Reviews

Content by PAULINE LEEEVANS

PAULINE LEEEVANS "Pauline Lee-Evans" (Norfolk, England)

Ralph Glasser Omnibus: 'Growing Up in the Gorbals', 'Gorbals Boy at Oxford', 'Gorbals Voices, Siren Songs'
by Ralph Glasser

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent insight into social history, 15 April 2010
I have just read this book and frankly would love to read more from Mr. Glasser, but sadly he is dead and the majority of his books are out of print. There seems to be a enormous cavern between the views of the two previous reviewers. I can only say that the book is excellent just for the social and economic history displayed in its pages. The author was an intellectual, so I think can be forgiven for using words containig several syllables (good excuse for renewing your acquaintance with the dictonary!). The journey of a Jewish boy whose parents moved from persecution in Eastern Europe to England and on to Glasgow, but who through sheer hard work gained an education for himself whilst working in a sweat shop in Glasgow. Won an essay competition resulting in an offer of a place at Oxford. The book provides an insight into communism as it was in the 1930s, the Spanish Civil War, becoming a man, being driven by a thirst for knowledge and rewarded by an Oxford Scholorship which opened up the world of knowledge, politics, power and money. Well worth a read.

Whose Turn for the Stairs?
Whose Turn for the Stairs?
by Robert Douglas

5.0 out of 5 stars Another compelling, moving and ejoyable book from Mr. Douglas, 26 Mar. 2010
I am someone who tends to go off on tangents when it comes to books, and the tangent I am on at the moment is Glasgow. Music wise Glasgow has given me the incomparable Paul Buchanan (the Blue Nile) and Craig Armstrong and I am now finding that the many talents of the 'Weedjie's' also includes some excellent writers. I started out by reading 'No Mean City' which despite the time lapse since it was written is still a very enjoyable book today - although it took me a while to work out the Glasgow slang for Style - Paraffin Oil! I enjoyed it so much that I started to look for other books about Glasgow to read and came across 'The Night Song of the Last Tram'. Loved it and immediately ordered the other two books in Mr. Douglas's autobiographical trilogy. I quickly devoured these and moved on the to the novel 'Whose Turn Is It For The Stairs?'. I have laughed, cried and been thoroughly transported by all four books. I suppose to get the full effect you need to have been around when people in terraced houses 'donkey' stoned the steps (Salfordian by birth), black leaded the grates, hung washing on the rack in the kitchen and on a cold winter's night was a grateful recipient of dad's army greatcoat on top of the bed ... I'm not really that old - honest!

Robert Douglas is an outstanding story teller, every character and single end comes to life in your imagination. I now feel I should visit Glasgow, although the tenements have gone there seems to be a wealth of interesting things to see and do. Now that my imagination has been captured, I hope Mr. Douglas will hurry up with the next novel - I can nae wait!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2012 12:03 PM GMT