Profile for MalCo > Reviews

I Let You Go
I Let You Go
by Clare Mackintosh

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly average., 15 Aug. 2015
This review is from: I Let You Go (Paperback)
I thought this was awful, and just yet another book of its type. It was so disappointing that I had completely forgotten the story-line and had to go and remind myself. There is a sticker on the front which says 'compelling with an astonishing twist', change that to read 'average with a bit of a twist'. It is readable (that is why I have generously given it 2 stars), just forgettable as soon as you have read the last page, as I have proved. If you like dull, unoriginal stuff like 'Gone Girl' you will like this. This is designed to be chosen by book clubs, in which case we must all try harder.

The Churchill Factor: How One Man Made History
The Churchill Factor: How One Man Made History
by Boris Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars ... books on WC and this is one of the best. Boris brings his own personality into it which ..., 15 Aug. 2015
I have reads many books on WC and this is one of the best. Boris brings his own personality into it which adds to the experience. And he tries (and succeeds mainly) to investigate both sides of the evidence for and against WC as a great character in history. It's easy and very enjoyable to read, I recommend it unconditionally.

The Goldfinch
The Goldfinch
by Donna Tartt

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the books of recent years., 27 July 2015
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Paperback)
A real 'tour de force'. Although that is rather a clichéd description it sums it up well. It is a weight tome, in terms of length, in terms of the scope of the tale and in the issues explored. This is a 'page-turner'. Not many books in any one year will have this impact on the reader.

Suite Francaise
Suite Francaise
by Irène Némirovsky

3.0 out of 5 stars A mix of good and average., 27 July 2015
This review is from: Suite Francaise (Paperback)
A book of mixed quality. A great idea, but the writing is not great and the story never grabs you, it is not a page-turner. But the final third explores a grand dilemma, and one I have not seen explored before.

Mrs. Hemingway
Mrs. Hemingway
by Naomi Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars Original, enjoyable and instructive., 27 July 2015
This review is from: Mrs. Hemingway (Paperback)
Inventive and informative. This is a good book that is successful in combining fact and fiction, to paint a more detailed picture of a great (but not necessarily likeable) character from history.

A Colder War (Thomas Kell Spy Thriller, Book 2)
A Colder War (Thomas Kell Spy Thriller, Book 2)
by Charles Cumming

1.0 out of 5 stars Not another one!, 27 July 2015
Formulaic rubbish! One of many similar books. I can't understand the British appetite for so much unbelievable tosh.

One pack of 20 Zensect Bouchard Moth Proofer Balls with a New & improved formula and a Lavender Fragrance. These moth proofer balls protect all fabrics for up to 3 months and leave no stains. Efficient & safe for all the family including and efficiency indicator to let you know when to change.
Offered by SHINE_UMBRELLA

Philips 40 Watt E14/SES Oven Lamp Light Bulb
Philips 40 Watt E14/SES Oven Lamp Light Bulb
Offered by LightingandMobileAccessoriesUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 Jan. 2015
Cheap, effective and efficient. Nothing more needed!

I'm Your Man: The Life of Leonard Cohen
I'm Your Man: The Life of Leonard Cohen
by Sylvie Simmons

5.0 out of 5 stars An enigmatic man is explained by a book of great clarity, 10 May 2014
I love Leonard Cohen and I loved this book. I wish it had been twice as long. He is a strange and unusual man, who has lived a strange and unusual life. If, like me, you have ever listened to his music and wondered what sort of person can make music and lyrics like he does then this book explains it all perfectly.
I thought it would be much heavier going but congratulations to the author for making it a light read of a potentially heavy subject.
My daughter, who is half my age, is just starting it. I am betting that a younger, non-fan will enjoy it almost as much.
I must go now, I need to book a visit to Hydra.

Rabbit Redux (Penguin Modern Classics)
Rabbit Redux (Penguin Modern Classics)
by John Updike

5.0 out of 5 stars Classy and classic, 26 July 2013
The Rabbit series is famed, and at first you wonder why. But having read one, and now two, each one is quite memorable and they somehow tell you everything you need to know about middle America. It is not a cheery read, but then life is not particular cheery and it is reflective of that. Perhaps it is an accurate reflection of our gloomy selves, or the bits of us that are consigned to self-destruction. Don't let that negative description put you of, definitely worth reading - there are few better!

Page: 1 | 2