Profile for Owen Robinson > Reviews

Content by Owen Robinson

Owen Robinson "joawmeens" (Ohio)

Page: 1 | 2
The Social Magus (Tales of MI7 Book 5)
The Social Magus (Tales of MI7 Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely check out this "Magus"tic book! @badwordplay, 4 Aug. 2015
Sometimes I am in the mood for a huge series, whether it be a book or TV series, where it is crucial that you start from the very beginning, and follow the larger storyline throughout the entire thing. Other times, I enjoy a series that doesn’t really have an overarching narrative to speak of, that I can jump into and off of whenever I feel like. The Social Magus is the latter.

The fifth book in the series sends Agent John Mordred to investigate an up and coming new party in British politics. Seemingly popping up out of nowhere, this new party has gained the attention and support of the youthful apathetic contingent of the voting public, and gained the attention and derision of the governmental establishment. Mordred is tasked with investigating where this party came from, and who is behind it. He quickly finds that there is more going on than he originally thought, and things even get personal, when he finds that his sister is inexplicably in the middle of all of it. Can he save his sister, and get to the bottom of the case? I mean, he is an MI7 Agent after all, I would hope he could…

This is the first book in the series that I have read, and from what I have gathered, they all have different lead characters, and can all be read independently from one another. I thought that the backdrop of British politics, and the inner workings of all of it, made for a very interesting and suspenseful read. The author was able to convey the intricate ideas very well, and I found that I was able to understand what was going on, despite not knowing anything about British politics.

If you’re looking for a new political thriller to sink your teeth into, I would highly suggest checking out J J Ward’s many novels.

Guy Erma and the Son of Empire
Guy Erma and the Son of Empire

5.0 out of 5 stars You bett "Erma" ke sure to read this! @badwordplay, 8 Jan. 2015
When I saw the term “space opera” to refer to this book, the first thing I thought of was “FLASH!!!! AAAAHHHHH!!! Savior of the Universe!!”, which as we all know, is the worst Queen song ever written. However, I am a sci-fi fan, and I do enjoy dipping my toe into new YA series, so I checked it out.

The story centers around Guy Erma, a 13 year old boy who has had a lifelong dream of joining the Dome Elite, which are kind of like "Space Marines". He teams up with an unlikely ally: Prince Teodor, who has recently been kidnapped. They must work together if they want to survive. It is a story of action, danger, blade fighting, cyborgs, shape shifting aliens, and Gorons, which are, in the easiest way I can describe them, RACING CATS!

I have to say that YA novels can be hit or miss sometimes. For every “Harry Potter” or “The Hunger Games”, you get “One That Isn’t Good, That I Don’t Know The Name Of…”. But I am happy to say that I really enjoyed this book. It has a lot of setting up to do, considering this is the first book in a series, but that’s obviously to be expected. The sci-fi elements seemed grounded in the story, and very natural. There was a definite lack of actual opera, though, which was disappointing…

This book is a great YA novel: It’s fun, exciting, and a blast from start to finish. I highly recommend it, and will definitely be on the lookout for more adventures of Guy Erma in the future!

Coercion
Coercion

5.0 out of 5 stars Take my "Coercion" to heart, and read this book! @badwordplay, 29 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Coercion (Kindle Edition)
With everything that has been going on in the world today, especially involving Russia, I have been very interested in learning more about the USSR. So when I stumbled across this thriller by Tim Tignor, it made my purchase of this book a no brainer.

Alex Ferris is ex-CIA, who leaves the agency to become an international private investigator. Which hasn't been working out that well, and hasn't exactly been paying the bills. One day, he received a phone call from his twin brother, asking for his help, who very quickly ends up dead by an apparent "suicide". While investigating in San Francisco, he uncovers a plot being run by a group in the Soviet Union, that is trying to steal US intellectual properties, in order to use them to create new patents, and bring huge amounts of wealth into Russia.

While Putin himself is not in this book, we do have a fairly good replacement: Vasily Karpov. He is an interesting character, and the most compelling part of the book, in my opinion. He was an ambitious and cut-throat KGB officer, that only wanted what was best for Mother Russia. I enjoyed Karpov so much, that him by himself would have been enough for me! But there is still a fantastic thriller here, and I highly recommend you checking it out.

The Weird Problem of Good
The Weird Problem of Good

4.0 out of 5 stars Despite it's "Problems", it is still a very "Good" book! @badwordplay, 2 Dec. 2014
This story centers around 3 people, and their relationships with each other. Nasreen Sanim was to be married to Prem Sharma, when she realizes that this arranged marriage was not what she wanted with her life, and she called it off. Nasreen, obviously upset, meets Ursula Petuelengova (and yes, I had to refer back to the summary to spell all three names…), a gypsy widow that was disowned by her family because they disapproved of her husband. It deals with the different traditions of different cultures, and the ever important struggle between keeping with those traditions, and moving forward and evolving in today’s society.

This is a fairly short read, but at the same time, the story kind of languished, and doesn’t seem to know where it wants to go. When the plot and story is moving along, and it knows what to say, it is very compelling and interesting, and well worth the read. The reason that I had to take one star away is the parts in-between that slow down the reading experience for me. It seemed like the author had ideas for all of these scenes, and he fleshed them out very well, but then realized that those scenes needed to be connected together into one cohesive story. I don’t want to be too hard on it, because it is a very good read, but it lacked the cohesiveness that ties everything together effectively.

Overall, it is a very interesting read, that takes a realistic look at relationships and tradition.

The Kramski Case (Tales of MI7 Book 1)
The Kramski Case (Tales of MI7 Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars You will want to "Kramski" this book all at once, but you will need to take your time! @badwordpla, 2 Dec. 2014
I became interested in this book at first because of the “ripped from the headlines” feel to it, concerning Vladimir Putin. It’s always fun to watch those episodes of Law and Order that are both vaguely and 100 totally based on current events, and the new Seth Rogen - James Franco movie “The Interview” might actually be pushing that idea a little too far… It is a subset of historical fiction (of which I am a big fan of already) that isn’t explored as much, but it is fun to check it out.

The story is way too complex to summarize in a short paragraph, but the main focus is MI7, a branch of the British Military Intelligence that has been shut down (at least that’s what they WANT you to think!), investigating the killings of paparazzi around the globe. There are agents from the US, the UK and Russia, that come together and work together.

Honestly, I can’t even go any farther into the plot. It is so multi-layered and complex, I don’t really even know where to begin. But I can say that it is highly complex, and definitely not a throwaway fluff novel that you read on a rainy day. It is definitely a page turner, and it will demand your attention from start to finish. The characters from the different agencies are complex and interesting, and are worth the read in itself. If you are a fan of International espionage novels, this is a fantastic read.

The Devil's Bridge
The Devil's Bridge

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll have a "Devil" of a time with this book! @badwordplay, 7 Nov. 2014
I am a pretty big fan of historical fiction, especially when set around World War II. So when I read that this centers around both World War I AND World War II, I was definitely interested. Add in there was a supernatural element to it, and I am definitely on board!

Foxy was a captain in the British Army, met Louise, a nurse in World War I, and the two instantly fell in love. While serving his country, Foxy is saved by a dark force, that forces Foxy to do it's bidding, in exchange for his returning home. What's the catch, you ask, because there's always a catch? If he does not follow orders from the evil presence, Louise will be killed, but if he follows orders, he will be condemned to hell for all eternity! This is the story of Foxy trying to keep everything balanced, and everyone safe, while trying to figure out a way to get out of his contract.

Apart from all of the supernatural stuff, this seems like a very authentic war story, and love story. The author must have researched both wars fairly thoroughly, or he is at least a good enough writer that I believed it to be authentic! The many struggles that Foxy is put through make you really feel for the character, and really root for him to be triumphant in his quest. The blending of historical fiction, romance, and supernatural is very well done as well, ending up with a very satisfying read.

If any or all of the components interest you at all, you should check this out. Like I said, it might seem like a strange amalgam of genres, but it is a very enjoyable read.

1066: What Fates Impose
1066: What Fates Impose

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't want to "Impose", but you should check this out! @badwordplay, 5 Nov. 2014
Historical fiction can be a tricky thing for me. Usually, I tend to stick to historical fiction, where I actually have a vague understanding of the actual history involved, and go from there. I came across this book, and had absolutely no idea about the time period in question, England in 1066. Heck, I didn't even know years went back that far…. Anyway, I checked this out, based on the high user ratings, and the intrigue of a crown in turmoil.

King Edward was ruling England in 1066, when he vows not to produce an heir. Now, as Americans, we are used to our next leader to be chosen the old fashioned way: To be bought wholesale by powerful companies, special interest groups, and lobbyists. (Political humor!). But with no direct heir for the throne, the future of the monarchy is blown wide open, with all of Edward’s far-flung relatives coming out of the woodwork, like he just won the lottery. The story centers around the ensuing turmoil, and everything that happens around that, with a focus on Harold Godwinson, the person who everyone thinks can bring peace to the region once again.

Honestly, I was much more fascinated by the “historical-“ half of this “historical-fiction” novel. The character development of Harold was interesting, but what really kept me reading was the meticulously researched era of English history. The events were a fascinating time of chaos and turmoil, and strife for a country, that honestly hasn't seen anything like it since. It is a very interesting read, that has caused me to look into the time period on my own, to learn more!

Best Self Confident You: How to Build Your Self-Confidence and Self-Esteem (Health Improvement Guides Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Be "Confident" in your purchase! @badwordplay, 11 April 2014
I think that everyone out there could stand to have more self confidence than they already have. If you have as much as you can possibly have… I don’t know, you might be a sociopath or something. But every non-delusional person out there does need a shot in the self-esteem arm every once in awhile.

This book prepares you for the journey to self-confidence, and then dives into ways you can build your self confidence, and how to overcome your own fears, such as social anxiety. There’s a lot of helpful information in those sections, but the most helpful part was the 30-day plan. It has simple, yet highly effective, things to do every day, to make yourself feel a little better about…. Yourself, every day.

I am only a few days in so far, and I already feel a difference. I feel better, I’m not as hard on myself for little things that happen, and I have been able to quickly let those things go, when they do get to me. I think this guide would be very helpful for anyone needing a confidence boost, and that needs a little help to get one.

The Cut-Out
The Cut-Out

5.0 out of 5 stars "Cut" it "Out", and read this book! @badwordplay, 7 April 2014
This review is from: The Cut-Out (Kindle Edition)
Princess Di’s death is one of those moments in history, where everyone remembers where they were when they found out. I was at a country music concert… and I was 10. The whole thing fascinated everyone, and spawned what might very well be the most conspiracy theories for any 1 single event, or at least up there on the list.

This book centers around a journalist that was tipped off about a “high profile assassination” by a former Green Beret. That assassination was Princess Diana’s “accidental” death. This book lays out the story that we were told, and all of the inconsistencies in that story, and everything else that has been proven, or speculated upon.

This was a really fascinating read. As someone that is still fascinated by this story (as I’m sure everyone is, to some extent), it really felt like there was a hint of realism, even if the everything wasn’t 100% true. This story is said to be “based on true events”, but it’s listed under fiction, so maybe it is based on true events the same way that Law & Order is, as well. But judging from the fact that the author has 2 other books devoted to Princess Diana, it might be a safe bet to say that he knows what he’s talking about. I recommend checking this out!

How Vitamins and Minerals Improve Your Health: Why dietary vitamins and minerals are essential

5.0 out of 5 stars A "Miner-all" around great health guide! @badwordplay, 7 April 2014
I’ve been on a bit of a health kick lately. A lot of the things that I have read talk a lot about how important getting your vitamins is, but they don’t necessarily tell you why they are important.

This book goes through each of the important vitamins and minerals, and explains what they do, and why they are important for daily life. It even gives you a list of foods that each vitamin or mineral can be found in.

It’s a really good resource for all of your nutritional vitamin and mineral questions. It’s set up very simply, with a selectable table of contents, so you can go to exactly what you are curious about. A quick and easy guide, that is very helpful and informative!

Page: 1 | 2