Profile for Shipp > Reviews

Content by Shipp

Shipp (Ticehurst, United Kingdom)

Torke: Book of Proverbs
Torke: Book of Proverbs
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling and moving, 1 May 2010
This review is from: Torke: Book of Proverbs (Audio CD)
I heard a couple of movements of the Book of Proverbs on Radio 3 last week and just had to buy the CD. This is moving and uplifting music with many subtleties to savour. I would agree with the above reviewer in that the diction of the choir is a little muddy at times but they sing with great feeling and together with a fine performance from the orchestra (and the Argo Band on the Four Proverbs) they produce utterly thrilling music. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply essential, 22 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Displaced (Audio CD)
This is a wonderful album, and really deserving of the BBC Jazz Album award this year. Just buy it.

Not Buying It: My Year Without Shopping
Not Buying It: My Year Without Shopping
by Judith Levine

2.0 out of 5 stars If the going gets tough, go skiing, 20 Jun. 2007
I have to agree with those reviewers who were disappointed by this. I, too, skipped a lot of the political stuff to get back to her lifestyle, but didn't get much out of it. As an avid anti-consumerist myself, I found it difficult to empathize with her and her partners' situation. They had a comfortable city home as well as a place in the country where they could play at the simple life, once the agony about having the right sort of sock abated. She may well make her mascara last a long time, but I got the feeling that taking your own sandwich rather than buying one was a big deal for her!

Without Warning
Without Warning
by Carol Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 18 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Without Warning (Paperback)
I have to agree with the other reviewers who felt this wasn't very good. It was repetitive and there was little tension. I didn't believe in the characters and didn't really care about any of them. The sub-plots were rather dreary.