Profile for xanonz > Reviews

Content by xanonz

xanonz

This Is the Six (Deluxe Edition)
This Is the Six (Deluxe Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheffield really does produce some of the best bands., 7 April 2014
This is the Six is a phenomenal album. It has every ingredient to go down well with me; killer melodies, haunting group chants, goosebump raising lyrics, emotional overtones and this particular deluxe edition has a great set of alternative and acoustic versions to appeal to my softer side. "Seven Hills" and "Our Courage, Our Cancer" are two of the best songs I've ever heard and realistically there is no weak song on this album with even the instrumental track doing just the right job of blending in but also justifying its place on the record. While She Sleeps have really created their own brand of Chilling (in the best way) , Northern Metalcore. This album is incredibly emotional and the whole tone of the album is brought together by the actual guitar tone combined with melodic and sombre introductions which often give way to well placed group chanting which help to set one of the best defined and most impressive atmospheres I've ever come across on a record. The out of this world atmosphere combined with Loz's passion and lyrics, really take you on a ride and give a great sense of intimacy with the songs. This is then brought home even more (something I initially had thought impossible), by the delicate addition of "Death Toll" and a series of acoustic and alternative versions in this deluxe version. They help to give a greater meaning to the songs and also show a nice level of musicality to provide such good re-workings of initially very good and complete songs. Overall this album must surely go down as one of the best metalcore records of the last 5 years, alongside other unique yet brilliant albums such as Lost Forever/Lost Together, The Poison and As Daylight Dies, this album sits right up there.

Issues
Issues

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Album that delivers on a promising EP, 7 April 2014
This review is from: Issues (Audio CD)
Don't let the 4 star rating mislead, I do highly recommend this album and love listening to it, however for reasons I'll explain this album doesn't quite hit 5 stars for me. Firstly it's just nice to hear something that's a bit different and is taking metal down a sightly alternative path to many other bands out there. The mixture of electronics and rap music with metal has been happening for a while now and some bands have really found a great formula for delivering some great fusion metal (Skindred, Crossfaith and TRC to name a few), but even then Issues have done well to introduce elements of R&B to metal. Tyler Carters beautifully pitched voice works well in contrast with Michael Bohns rasping screams that are pleasingly legible and not too murky to understand. The album has some seriously catchy hooks and some great samples. It's also nicely varied with hard hitters like sad ghost and borderline Club tunes like Late (don't worry this track's still plenty metal enough). However whilst this a great listen overall and a particular earworm of mine at the moment, it doesn't quite hit 5 stars for me. Certain lyrics such as "Jager got you faded, societies got you jaded" kinda kill the vibe for me a bit and show some of the more boring and less impressive parts of R&B culture seeping into their writing. Overall the lyrics aren't anything inspirational, although they are catchy and on the whole good enough to get me singing along. Also the album lacks a big riff or a killer breakdown, their all good but none really stand-out and the lack of musicality also means I can't realistically give this 5. Finally it's worth noting that I feel like the album starts to drop off towards the end after such a good opening 7 or so tracks the last 4-5 don't hold my attention as well. Still it' important to note that these are more minor Issues (don't hate me) and that overall the album is a triumph and delivered on the promise shown by their EP of a year and a half or so ago.

Sick
Sick

5.0 out of 5 stars Caleb Shomo is Back, 7 April 2014
This review is from: Sick (MP3 Download)
Beartooth could very well be one of my favourite bands of the next 5 years if they keep the form they show on this EP up. Caleb Shomo returns bringing his excellent abilities as a vocalist, writer and producer to the fore once more. Despite it being early days I'd already say that despite my love for This is War by Attack Attack!, this EP already shows more promise and more development of Caleb's prodigious talent. A musical stlye of raw bass, catchy riffs and some seriously good breakdowns, twinned with Calebs vocal range ability to convey emotion with the lyrics he sings produces one of the most intimate EP's I've heard in a long time, which is also one of the most polished and professional sounding EP's that I've heard a band produce off the bat. This EP is definitely worth it for £2 and I implore you to support this band during their developmental stages, it won't be a decision that you regret.

Lost Forever, Lost Together
Lost Forever, Lost Together

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply exceptional, 7 April 2014
This a truly awesome album, an accolade I would only dedicate to a handful of other albums. The album utilises a combination of power and technique to deliver a career high for these guys. It's a heavy yet delicate album, stopping it from disintegrating into noise and making it a musical triumph, as well as a furious metal album full of anthems. which touches on some big issues and has a great message for my mind. Carter once more shows why he is one of the best Metalcore vocalists out there and some of the riff's are frankly mesmerising. I've been a huge fan from Hollow Crown, The Here and Now and Daybreaker and this album simply tops the lot. I was lucky enough to see them live 2 days after the album was officially released and I can honestly say it was the best live show I've been to. (I've seen KSE and trivium earlier in the year and even they couldn't compare to the show delivered by these guys). Architects are both immense in the studio and on stage and you'd have to be mad not to buy this masterpiece of an album.

The Hollow
The Hollow

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most intoxicating albums I've ever heard, 20 Sept. 2012
This review is from: The Hollow (Audio CD)
An absolutely incredible album, which vocally delivers with a perfectly balanced mixture of powerful screams and unerring cleans. Easily one of the best metal albums i've ever listened to. A combination of great melodies and brutal breakdowns also serve to make this one of the most intoxicating albums i've heard. Can't recommend it enough, its just incredible

The Vietnam War: Revised 2nd Edition (Seminar Studies In History)
The Vietnam War: Revised 2nd Edition (Seminar Studies In History)
by Mitchell K. Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic, 20 Sept. 2012
I bought this product to help me with an English EPQ qualification, which requires a great amount of understanding of your chosen topic and a wide range of sources. This book does exactly that, the historical account is of a suitable level of detail containing many key historical points without going off topic or getting chronologically confused as some other history books are prone to doing. It also has a good source and official document section in the back which is just as helpful. Good value for such a useful book.

Under The Gun
Under The Gun
Offered by Books-and-Sounds

4.0 out of 5 stars good but not as good as their last album (in my opinion), 29 April 2012
This review is from: Under The Gun (Audio CD)
Product was delivered in good timing, in good condition. This album whilst it, it is really good, it isn't a patch on a house of rats in my opinion but I do adore that album so that's not too big a thing.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and totally addictive, 17 Jan. 2012
I have only had this album since yesterday and I am currently listening to it for the 5th time.
Breaking musics worthless boundaries since 2003, really suites the style of this album.It has a very salient meaning very applicable to the modern day and the music is plain awesome, best album I have bought in a long time, any shikari fans or anyone who likes something a little bit different this is your answer.

iGadgitz Genuine Leather Case Cover for Sony Walkman NWZ-S765 Series Video MP3 Player - Black
Offered by iGadgitz

5.0 out of 5 stars delivery and quality, ery good, 29 Dec. 2011
Very good quality product, very sturdy and therefore ideal for a clumsy person like me who is prone to dropping my MP3, good price for a blistering delivery time. Can't really say anymore