Profile for MrsB > Reviews

Content by MrsB

MrsB

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Assertiveness for Earth Angels: How to Be Loving Instead of "Too Nice"
Assertiveness for Earth Angels: How to Be Loving Instead of "Too Nice"
by Doreen Virtue

3.0 out of 5 stars A balanced opinion, 21 Jan. 2015
If you look at the breakdown of the reviews you will notice, as I did, there are a high number of 5 star reviews (many of which are only one line) and a collection of 1 stars which seem to be written by people who have not read the book but dislike the author. What I'm aiming to do in this review is strike a happy medium and give an unbiased opinion. I am a sceptic when it comes to unproven 'spiritual' matters, but at the same time I was interested in this book and why it evokes such extreme reactions – I was also in need of some guidance on assertiveness.

Firstly, the author does assert as fact that people with sensitive, gentle personality traits who find it difficult to be assertive are this way because we were sent from heaven where we lived a life of loving bliss, basically we're in shock from the harsh realities of earth life. This is stated as fact with no evidence to back it up, if this bothers you then it won't be the book for you as there is plenty more of that type to follow. Personally I gave a wry smile and carried on reading, because much as I doubt that theory her description of the 'earth angel' personality was so like me I felt the advice geared to this personality type would be worth reading. If you are familiar with the more widely accepted Myers-Briggs personality test (influenced by Jung) I identify as ISFJ and wonder how many of us 'earth angels' also do.

It is a comfort to read that one is not alone in hating conflict and violence, being naïve, thinking the best of others, people pleasing and finding it hard to be assertive. Virtue writes in a compassionate empathetic way about these traits which are seen as positive by her (although sadly not by today's modern competitive values) but makes no bones about the dark side of this – why we must learn to communicate honestly, and how we can do this with compassion and love, otherwise we are not being truthful. Assertiveness is described as stating your truth, which is a very helpful description to me, as like she describes I have previously confused it with aggression. The tips for communication are useful, and I have found that I can put them into practice, and so far so good.

One part of the book I did not enjoy was a section on how to deal with various personality types, it is very broad brushed, too much so to be helpful. It's also judgemental, categorising people by their negative traits. Personally I believe it is far more complex than that, and that none of us is any one thing, that we should reserve judgement which ironically she herself says earlier in the book, but along with telling us we are angels sent to earth this categorisation is written as fact with nothing to back it up.

For advice on assertiveness and communication I'd give this book a 5 in terms of how it helped me understand myself better and deal better with conflict. For stating as fact several unproven theories, I'd mark it as a 1. Overall I feel a 3 reflects best how I feel about this book.

Pilates For Life [DVD]
Pilates For Life [DVD]
Dvd ~ Darcy Bussell

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd bought 'Pliates for Life' first, 22 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Pilates For Life [DVD] (DVD)
I have another pilates dvd (the cheaper 10 minute Kimberly one also sold on here), but a friend recommended this one and I much prefer it out of the two, it's more thorough and professional and I like Darcey's presentation style.

Firstly there is a segment where Darcey outlines the principles of pilates which is vital to understand if you have the right position during the moves. She also has a very important 'warm up' segment, tempting to skip when you are in a hurry but some of the later stretches are quite intense so you really need to be warmed through - she does this bit on a beautiful beach somewhere so there is the lapping of the tide and mellow classical piano background music, I find it very soothing and relaxing.

The workouts are done in a dance studio again with mellow classical piano background music, and the style is slow controlled movements, I much prefer this to the faster style of my cheaper dvd, it seems more appropriate for pilates. They are available as a shortened 20 minute 'mini programme', good if you are in a hurry, and the longer programme which is divided into 10 minute sections targeting different areas, you can dip in and out and make up your own routine to suit. As you would imagine with her ballet training Darcey is incredibly supple and strong and most of the poses I come no where near where she is, her hamstring stretch is amazing as she has her foot somewhere near her face - good for you if you can, but if you're like me then it's something to aim for. We un-supple folks are the ones who get the most benefit from pilates.

The workouts are challenging, some very much so, but the style and Darcey's natural elegance and poise give a relaxing ambiance, I wish I'd got this dvd straight away instead of going for the cheaper one, IMO this is definitely superior and worth the extra money.

FS6 Compression Foot Sleeve | Releives Plantar Fasciitus | Eases Heel Pain | Aids Recovery |Medium ( White )
Offered by Footcare UK Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Not cheap but worth it, 22 Sept. 2014
Really helps relieve my aching arch which I bought them for, felt very tight when I put it on but after a while I forgot I was wearing it. My husband has an arthritic ankle due to a bad break there and has worn cheaper supports, he was aghast at the price of these but after trying them he is amazed at the difference it's made - he says the support is exactly in the right place. They are not cheap but it seems in this case you get what you pay for.

Garmin Forerunner 10 GPS Running Watch - Green/Grey
Garmin Forerunner 10 GPS Running Watch - Green/Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, 26 Mar. 2014
This is my first GPS watch, so I can't compare with others, but I have previously been using a free phone app to track my runs which was a bit of a faff as it was held in my pocket and the screen was pin locked. Finally got this Forerunner10 and have used it for 3 runs now - love it! It takes around a minute to get a gps signal, this is fine for me as I do a warm up walk. Haven't had a problem with it dropping the signal or mapping me incorrectly, best thing is I can check my pace as I go which should help me plan my runs. Definitely a good piece of kit which suits my needs.

Running Like a Girl
Running Like a Girl
by Alexandra Heminsley

5.0 out of 5 stars Feelgood read for runners and non-runners alike, 18 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Running Like a Girl (Paperback)
I had heard good things about this book and so when the reprint came out I got it straight away, two days later I'm finished reading and can only say every good thing said about it is justified.

The first two thirds of the book are very much the author's personal story of a thirty-something who didn't think she could run into someone who has now done 5 marathons plus many other events all over the world. It's a very honest, entertaining and at times emotional account and the enthusiastic style is rather like listening to a good friend. I've been running a couple of years now and found myself nodding in recognition at several of her experiences and thoughts, and although she has run much further than me I was left thinking with renewed enthusiasm about the half marathon I've always wanted to do.

The final third of the book is largely a general advice section, which I found useful and would be particularly helpful for anyone staring out, everything from injury to charity fundraising is tackled here . There are no specific training schedules - this book is not a prescriptive technical guide in that way, there are plenty of those out there, but if you are after a feelgood read then look no further.

Under Armour Authentic Women's Mid-Length Tight Shorts black (1) Size:S
Under Armour Authentic Women's Mid-Length Tight Shorts black (1) Size:S

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal base-layer, 8 Dec. 2013
I got these to wear while running mostly to help with a muscular problem, the theory being they will support the muscles; I don't know whether I'm imagining it or not but it does seem to have helped. They are quite skimpy (I would not personally wear them alone, although the black is not see-thru as another reviewer writes about the white pair!), I use them as a base-layer under my running tights and the insulation has been welcome these cold days, worth it for that alone.

The sizing chart given above proved accurate for me, I checked my waist & hips with a tape measure and ordered 'small' which fits perfectly - I'm normally between a size 8-10, if that helps anyone.

Dyson DC07 light steel wand catch
Dyson DC07 light steel wand catch
Offered by Find A Spare Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Amazon, better service than Dyson, 2 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Dyson DC07 light steel wand catch
We bought this when the original part failed after 10 years, two tiny plastic lugs which were vital for retaining the part snapped. Dyson were not particularly helpful when we enquired telling us they did not sell this part individually and that the only way we could buy it through them was to buy the entire wand unit at a cost of almost £30!

Thankfully we were able to buy this part alone via Amazon for little more than a fiver (including postage), our DC07 is now working perfectly.

Victorian Pansies Bookmark - Cross Stitch Kit
Victorian Pansies Bookmark - Cross Stitch Kit
Offered by Amberskies Gifts

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely bookmark & great customer service!, 12 April 2013
I have made several cross-stitch bookmarks from this manufacturer, Textile Heritage, before and have always found them to be excellent quality. Everything needed is in the kit, fabrics, tassel, threads and needle; the instructions are very clear and as long as I take care the result is always as pictured.

This particular bookmark is to be a birthday gift for a friend and I thought I had misplaced some of the threads so emailed the company to ask the DMC reference number for the colour so I could buy more; they emailed back straight away with the number and even offered to send enough to finish the job. It's not often I have experienced such impressive service, another point worth noting is that these kits are made in Scotland - a real success story!

Yaktrax Pro Traction Winter Traction Device
Yaktrax Pro Traction Winter Traction Device
Price: £6.90 - £43.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Yaktrax - s'no problem, 20 Jan. 2013
I got the small size as I'm a UK size 4 and have found them just right. They take some stretching to get on the first few times but after that they are easier, best to do when seated for stability & when wearing the shoe as you'll have more leverage. Once on they stay in place no problem, the pro version has a velcro strap for extra security but I think they'd be fine without.

On packed snow & ice they work brilliantly but on soft snow & slush it gathers in the treads. Great for walking or even running in icy conditions, just be sure to remove on hard indoor flooring as they will slide!

Sony RDP-NWD300B Wired Active
Sony RDP-NWD300B Wired Active

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather expensive for what it is, 28 Dec. 2011
Anyone who has a Sony Walkman mp3 player will be familiar with how difficult it is to find a compatible docking station, let alone a reasonable quality one. For our NWZE454B there was only a choice of this Sony one or a much cheaper non-branded one (which had mixed reviews) - we plumped for this one in the hope that as a Sony product it would have good sound and be worth the extra money.

We're mostly happy with it, it's very neat and simple to operate with a tiny remote - although the control options are limited to fast forward/rewind, forward/backward skip track, play/pause and stop. There are no equaliser or bass settings available (we have to set that on the player itself) and albums/folders also have to be selected manually on the player - you can't dip in and out via remote or the docking station, which is a shame.

The sound quality is reasonable, not poor but neither anything to get excited about. Given the price of the unit (ninety quid) we feel it was a bit expensive for what it is, but if you have a Sony Walkman mp3 player and would like a docking station/speaker there is very little choice at the moment (ipods win hands down on this).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3