Profile for MrsB > Reviews

Content by MrsB

MrsB

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
ASVP Shop® Vintage British Union Jack Textile Flag Cloth Fabric Bunting Retro Banner UK
Offered by ASVP Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely bunting, 24 Jun. 2016
Really nice quality fabric bunting, a little faded in colour which I like as it looks more like an original than a modern day copy.

Ladies Flat Black Slip-On Comfy Work Shoes Dolly Ballet School Pumps Sizes 3-8
Ladies Flat Black Slip-On Comfy Work Shoes Dolly Ballet School Pumps Sizes 3-8
Offered by HeelzSoHigh

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfy & pretty shoe, 15 April 2016
Bought these in size 4, my usual size, fit just right and very comfy - love them.

Vianla Women's 1950s V Neck Vintage Cut Out Casual Party Cocktail Dresses Purple S
Offered by VIANLA

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy, 15 April 2016
Lovely cute dress, nice fitted bodice, good weight cotton material - nice style to suit many different occasions.

I bought the purple in a size 8 which was labelled as S inside the dress, some people have mentioned the sizing being off but I found it spot on. As a petite (5'3") woman I am used to necklines plunging too low but this sweetheart neckline was just right.

Ladies Ankle Grazers Stretch Crops Womens Slim Cropped Summer Trousers Skinny Cotton Pants
Offered by Chicwhisper

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart crops, 14 April 2016
I'm usually a size 8, very occasionally a 6 (depending on the manufacturer/style), and so I ordered this in an 8 x-short - very happy, fits perfectly. The item is nicely finished, smart tailored style (no pockets as another reviewer notes), very flattering cut and according the delivery note is M & S. Absolute bargain at the price paid, have ordered another pair.

Brooks Ravenna 6, Women's Running Shoes, Red (Pinkglo/Electricbluelemonade/Dressblues), 5.5 UK (38 1/2 EU)
Offered by dotsport

4.0 out of 5 stars My third pair of Ravennas, 20 Aug. 2015
My third pair of Ravennas, have stuck with them after being recommended them following gait analysis last year. If you're a mild over pronator these are designed to give some extra support but not the full support of a more rigid shoe. I was advised to go a size up, as your feet swell when running, this has proved the best fit.

I've run distances up to and including half marathon in them, never had any problems, no blisters, pinching or rubbing spots.

Only criticisms I will make is the colour is a bit bling, would have preferred something more subdued. Also the tongue on this version 6 is very padded, unnecessarily so in my opinion - this means there's not much to play with in the lace length by the time they've stretched over all that padding, preferred the less padded previous version. But overall will buy again as they are a good hardwearing decently made shoe.

Keep Calm and Love Otters - Double Sided Large Keyring Gift/Present/Souvenir
Keep Calm and Love Otters - Double Sided Large Keyring Gift/Present/Souvenir
Offered by Baked Bean Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Otters, 20 Aug. 2015
Bought as gift, recipient declared it cute, nice quality keyring.

Rieker 74563 02, Womens Biker Boots, Black (Schwarz), 4 UK (37 EU)
Rieker 74563 02, Womens Biker Boots, Black (Schwarz), 4 UK (37 EU)
Offered by Bells Shoes

5.0 out of 5 stars These boots are made for walking (and that's just what they'll do), 19 May 2015
I bought these because they looked so similar to a much loved, much worn pair of Rieker ankle boots I've had over 3 year years which have only now finally fell to bits.

I wasn't disappointed, they fit perfectly and are pretty much the same as my last pair except for a slightly different flange design around the top. They are extremely comfortable with a fine faux fur lining, and rubberised flexible soles. I was able to wear them straight away without a breaking in period, no rubbing spots, just very comfortable. I walk quite a bit and need my foot ware to be practical and sturdy, as with my other Rieker boots these are up to the job.

Only criticism I can make is that the flange finishing around the ankle is a little rough, not a big deal for me as my jeans sit over this generally, but it could have been finished a little more nicely. Still happy with the boots though so 5 stars from me.

PS - to add after reading another review these boots are a narrow fit which suits me as I have narrow feet but as another reviewer wrote if you have wider feet they may not suit.

Assertiveness for Earth Angels: How to Be Loving Instead of "Too Nice"
Assertiveness for Earth Angels: How to Be Loving Instead of "Too Nice"
by Doreen Virtue

3.0 out of 5 stars A balanced opinion, 21 Jan. 2015
If you look at the breakdown of the reviews you will notice, as I did, there are a high number of 5 star reviews (many of which are only one line) and a collection of 1 stars which seem to be written by people who have not read the book but dislike the author. What I'm aiming to do in this review is strike a happy medium and give an unbiased opinion. I am a sceptic when it comes to unproven 'spiritual' matters, but at the same time I was interested in this book and why it evokes such extreme reactions – I was also in need of some guidance on assertiveness.

Firstly, the author does assert as fact that people with sensitive, gentle personality traits who find it difficult to be assertive are this way because we were sent from heaven where we lived a life of loving bliss, basically we're in shock from the harsh realities of earth life. This is stated as fact with no evidence to back it up, if this bothers you then it won't be the book for you as there is plenty more of that type to follow. Personally I gave a wry smile and carried on reading, because much as I doubt that theory her description of the 'earth angel' personality was so like me I felt the advice geared to this personality type would be worth reading. If you are familiar with the more widely accepted Myers-Briggs personality test (influenced by Jung) I identify as ISFJ and wonder how many of us 'earth angels' also do.

It is a comfort to read that one is not alone in hating conflict and violence, being naïve, thinking the best of others, people pleasing and finding it hard to be assertive. Virtue writes in a compassionate empathetic way about these traits which are seen as positive by her (although sadly not by today's modern competitive values) but makes no bones about the dark side of this – why we must learn to communicate honestly, and how we can do this with compassion and love, otherwise we are not being truthful. Assertiveness is described as stating your truth, which is a very helpful description to me, as like she describes I have previously confused it with aggression. The tips for communication are useful, and I have found that I can put them into practice, and so far so good.

One part of the book I did not enjoy was a section on how to deal with various personality types, it is very broad brushed, too much so to be helpful. It's also judgemental, categorising people by their negative traits. Personally I believe it is far more complex than that, and that none of us is any one thing, that we should reserve judgement which ironically she herself says earlier in the book, but along with telling us we are angels sent to earth this categorisation is written as fact with nothing to back it up.

For advice on assertiveness and communication I'd give this book a 5 in terms of how it helped me understand myself better and deal better with conflict. For stating as fact several unproven theories, I'd mark it as a 1. Overall I feel a 3 reflects best how I feel about this book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2016 12:50 AM BST

Pilates For Life [DVD]
Pilates For Life [DVD]
Dvd ~ Darcy Bussell

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd bought 'Pliates for Life' first, 22 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Pilates For Life [DVD] (DVD)
I have another pilates dvd (the cheaper 10 minute Kimberly one also sold on here), but a friend recommended this one and I much prefer it out of the two, it's more thorough and professional and I like Darcey's presentation style.

Firstly there is a segment where Darcey outlines the principles of pilates which is vital to understand if you have the right position during the moves. She also has a very important 'warm up' segment, tempting to skip when you are in a hurry but some of the later stretches are quite intense so you really need to be warmed through - she does this bit on a beautiful beach somewhere so there is the lapping of the tide and mellow classical piano background music, I find it very soothing and relaxing.

The workouts are done in a dance studio again with mellow classical piano background music, and the style is slow controlled movements, I much prefer this to the faster style of my cheaper dvd, it seems more appropriate for pilates. They are available as a shortened 20 minute 'mini programme', good if you are in a hurry, and the longer programme which is divided into 10 minute sections targeting different areas, you can dip in and out and make up your own routine to suit. As you would imagine with her ballet training Darcey is incredibly supple and strong and most of the poses I come no where near where she is, her hamstring stretch is amazing as she has her foot somewhere near her face - good for you if you can, but if you're like me then it's something to aim for. We un-supple folks are the ones who get the most benefit from pilates.

The workouts are challenging, some very much so, but the style and Darcey's natural elegance and poise give a relaxing ambiance, I wish I'd got this dvd straight away instead of going for the cheaper one, IMO this is definitely superior and worth the extra money.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Not cheap but worth it, 22 Sept. 2014
Really helps relieve my aching arch which I bought them for, felt very tight when I put it on but after a while I forgot I was wearing it. My husband has an arthritic ankle due to a bad break there and has worn cheaper supports, he was aghast at the price of these but after trying them he is amazed at the difference it's made - he says the support is exactly in the right place. They are not cheap but it seems in this case you get what you pay for.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4