Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "richardbrit" (Thailand)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
AIO Black Wallet Leather Case For HTC Desire S + Screen Protector
AIO Black Wallet Leather Case For HTC Desire S + Screen Protector

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond expectations., 4 Feb. 2012
A great product which did not dissapoint. The quality is very good and beyond that expected for the price. The phone clips into the holder very easily and remains firm. There is little chance of it falling out. I've had the item over a week and I'm very pleased with it.

Life on Air
Life on Air
by David Attenborough

5.0 out of 5 stars Even more interesting than expected., 14 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Life on Air (Paperback)
Although an admirer of Attenborough I'd half expected this book to be a little slow and boring. It was actually more interesting than I'd expected. He has had an even more active life than I was aware. I was always sceptical of just how involved he was in the filming of his series but his descriptions clear that up. This is a fascinating and captivating read that I recommend to anyone with even a slight interest in either the man or his TV shows.

My Booky Wook
My Booky Wook
by Russell Brand

5.0 out of 5 stars Did not dissapoint., 28 Nov. 2011
This review is from: My Booky Wook (Paperback)
Even though I bought this book for 1.99 from an Oxfam shop I still felt a little embarrassed to be seen reading it in public. It's a book that on first glance looks like it belongs on the shelf alongside the many biographies of Katie Price and Co. However my feeling that it would be both an interesting read and quite funny turned out to be right. It's written as Brand speaks i.e unconventionally, but this only adds to it's appeal. It is revealing, funny and captivating. I read it in a couple of days and was left looking forward to reading the second part.I highly recommend it.

This Is England '86 [DVD]
This Is England '86 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Thomas Turgoose
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing., 14 Dec. 2010
This review is from: This Is England '86 [DVD] (DVD)
Having seen almost everything else by Meadows and enjoying most of his work I have to say I was very disappointed with this. I've noticed that the acting in most of his work is in a way very stilted and unconvincing, and in this series this flaw seems glaring to me. The dialogue comes across as obviously a group of people pretending to be characters that they clearly are not, and exhibiting relationships that are clearly not there. Good acting would of course hide this. Also the aesthetics do not entirely work. There are many inconsistencies that anyone around in 1986 would have picked up on straight away ie hanging England flags from ones window didn't start until long after 80's. I loved 'Dead Mens Shoes' and 'twenty four seven' was great but it seems Meadows has not improved his style of movies making at all since these break through films. I think that this is probably why although he has a cult following he has never broken through into the mainstream and why most people have never heard of him. I can't help thinking that he must bring out the worst in his cast as they all seem quite wooden. This is highlighted in the original 'This is England' movie when the only recognizable face in it is by far the best actor. However many people seem to have loved this series so for them I can only recommend watching Meadows other films as they are almost all must better then this series. For those that are unsure about buying I would say to give it a miss unless you are already sold into the idea or if you are maybe too young to remember the 86'.

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters [DVD] [2007]
The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Steve Wiebe
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant alternative., 5 Sept. 2010
This film is so good in many ways. The story is equally fascinating, touching and captivating. It is a brilliant alternative to the blockbusting trash that stews out monthly. I can't recommend it enough, and at 3.99 it is a steal.

Cemetery Junction [DVD] [2010]
Cemetery Junction [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Christian Cooke
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

2.0 out of 5 stars Sadly disappointing., 5 Sept. 2010
I was looking forward to this movie so much after the great 'Invention of lying'. Sadly I found it very much a disappointment. It was neither funny, captivating or interesting. It just never seemed to get going and lacked flow. There were one or two bright spots but even they were weak to be honest. I'm sure a lot of work went into the production, but for me it is the most disappointing film for some time.

Dexter Season 2 [DVD]
Dexter Season 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael C. Hall
Offered by Goodsdirect

5.0 out of 5 stars It gets better., 23 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Dexter Season 2 [DVD] (DVD)
This is a fantastic series. The best I have seen since 'The Sopranos'. The first series was excellent, but as many have said this series is definitely even better. From episode one I was hooked, and each successive episode pulled me in deeper and deeper right up until the last. It's not often that a series does not disappoint in any way at all but this is one of those special TV shows that does not. If you liked series one you will love this one. If you haven't seen series one then go and watch it and then come back.

The Secret History
The Secret History
by Donna Tartt

2.0 out of 5 stars Way too long and tepid., 28 Jan. 2009
This review is from: The Secret History (Paperback)
As mentioned by a previous reviewer this book is about 300 pages too long. I am not sure what exactly is is intended to be. It's a cross between 'Crime and Punishment', 'The Great Gatsby' and 'Catcher in the Rye', but is no where near as good an any of those books. It does not grab the reader or achieve any kind of compelling quality at any time throughout its overly lengthy 600+ pages. I constantly found myself fighting the urge to give up on it, which looking back I wish that I had. The characters are nothing particularly special and the story is neither intelligent or particularly inventive. I think that the fact that the story revolves around academia some how tricks the reader into a sense of feeling that they are reading something special, when in reality the book is mundane and pedestrian, with nothing to distinguish it as exceptional.
Unless on a deserted desert Island and this book washes up on the shore I would recommend avoiding it where possible.

ASUS Eee PC 901 BK006 Netbook, Linux Preloaded, 1GB RAM, 20GB SSD (Black)
ASUS Eee PC 901 BK006 Netbook, Linux Preloaded, 1GB RAM, 20GB SSD (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Portable, efficient and independent from the mains supply., 4 Oct. 2008
After two months contemplation I finally bought an Asus 901 last week. I hesitated for so long due to concern over the keyboard size. This was the only issue for me really. However I can tell you that I have decent sized hands but can manage fine with this small keyboard. Whilst I probably can not type quite as fast as on my other laptop I can still type fast enough to work on this machine. I am of course typing this review on my Asus. That was my only issue to get over, so now I will proceed with all other aspects of the machine that you may be wondering about.

I bought a 15' high spec Acer a few months ago, and although it is a great machine I found it annoying to work most of the time with the power cable connected. I also wasn't happy with the size, as I spend a lot of time actually on the move in airports etc So I figured the Asus would be an ideal alternative, and I wasn't wrong. The true portability is fantastic. I can lay in bed with the machine on my chest and work away, I don't even need to sit up. It boots up and shuts down so quickly it make it so convenient for even a few minutes work. I am not certain but I would say I am getting about 5 hours from the battery whilst connected to the net via wi-fi.

The build of the machine feels very sturdy. Contrary to other opinion the keyboard is solid, more so that my Acer, without any flex.

The touch pad works fine although it is of course smaller than normal. Many of the added touch features are very useful and this is the first time I have used them.

Now onto the function. I opted to leave Linux on the machine even though I have never used it before. This was because I figured it may be better for the small less powerful machine. I don't know if this is right but it certainly works very well and efficiently. It connects straight to my wi-fi signal and others around me. It surfs the net as fast as my more powerful machine and opens all pages without problem. I have made calls to the other side of the world using Skype and this also works as well as on my Acer machine. I have Linux messenger installed, which is called Pidgin, and it works well. I listen to BBC Radio live, as well as the pre-installed Radio stations. So, the Asus together with Linux does all internet functions well. What about office etc?

Linux contains within it Open Office. This is very, very similar to the XP Office package. I have been using it on all my machines and it has no drawbacks that I can see. Microsoft Office files and Open Office documents are interchangeable.

Linux also has other additional functions and packages built in. There is a 'Learn' tab which has mathematics software and a science tab containing an astronomy tool and language software. There are a few games that are quite entertaining as well as a very good dictionary. There is a seemingly comprehensive media package containing video and audio software, although I haven't had chance to try it yet.

Overall I am more that happy with the 901. It has satisfied my needs in every way so far. I can not think of anything else that I need from a laptop. This is exactly what a true laptop should be: portable, efficient and independent from the mains supply.

Iron Man (with Marvel Iron Man Comic Book, Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk) [DVD]
Iron Man (with Marvel Iron Man Comic Book, Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Downey Jr
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Sit back. Disengage. Enjoy., 25 Sept. 2008
I was never a big fan of superheroes to be honest. However I watched this movie prepared for a simple comic book epic, which would of course entail big explosions, great effects, a modest story line and hopefully some not too wooden acting. Thats exactly what you get, all done just about to perfection. You get nothing more, but the finish of it all is so good that you can have no complaints at all. If you expect more then don't watch it. Bonuses come in the form of a great lead man in Robert Downey Jr and the additional sparkle of Paltrow. The story is the generic Superhero plot followed in almost all the recent incarnations: superhero metamorphosis followed by a secondary character harnessing the ability to do the same with a bit extra followed by climactic battle with predictable ending. Its tried and tested and it works well. And this version of it is no exception. Its not deep, its not convoluted, its blockbuster entertainment in its cleanest purest form, for all with the appropriate level of expectation to appreciate. Sit back. Disengage. Enjoy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18