Profile for Pedro Puig Llanas > Reviews

Content by Pedro Puig Llanas

Pedro Puig Llanas (Barcelona, Spain)

El Mar [2000] [DVD]
El Mar [2000] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Roger Casamajor
Offered by same_day_sender

5.0 out of 5 stars Unmissable, 14 July 2008
This review is from: El Mar [2000] [DVD] (DVD)
First of all I'd like to present my excuses for my poor English. I'll do my best.
This film "El mar"("The sea")was produced in 2000 and it was not much successful here in Spain maybe because of its hard images and very "art house" nature. Despite the fact that it was released on VHS video some years ago, it hasn't been released on DVD in Spain yet. To my surprise I found it here in Amazon and I ordered it inmediately. But the biggest surprise was to see that the DVD producers had chosen the ORIGINAL Catalan soundtrack and not the Spanish version released in the rest of Spain outside Catalonia. I was sure that this would have been the chosen one as on the DVD is quoted as "Spanish". This film is set in 1930's Mallorca, and as you may know at the time Catalan was the usual language there. The film itself was a Catalan production, so it's normal that the original version here is the Catalan and not the Spanish dubbed one. That's why the director is named Agustí Villaronga and not "Agustín" which is the Spanish translation for Agustí. Ángela Molina for exemple plays a Spanish character on the film and therefore she speaks Spanish, but the rest speak in Mallorca's Catalan, slightly different to the one we speak here in Catalonia. So, I was very happy to listen to the original language on this edition.
I was really impressed by the film, certainly not for everyone, but a very interesting and artistic one. It's a dark story about violence, religion and gay love in post-war Mallorca. Absolutely white and red. I remember some people walking out of the theatre as they couldn't resist the violence shown in the images, but I guess this was absolutely understandable if you see it as the war effects on some teenagers and the way this changed their lives. The actors give all the tension the story needs and show all the hidden passion required. White and red again. Certainly one of the most compelling films made in Spain in recent times.
Highly recommended.