Profile for J. Morgan > Reviews

Content by J. Morgan

J. Morgan (London)

Philips SC1997/00 Lumea IPL Advanced Complete Hair Removal Device on Body and Face

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, worth it for bikini line alone, 16 Mar. 2016
Wasn't sure what to expect from this product. I have typical English pale skin and reasonably dark hair (darkest on the bikini line and lighter on arms/face etc).

Read the instructions which were pretty simple and dived right in. I quickly worked out that, for my skin tone, I needed it on the fullest setting. It tells you to shave the area beforehand but as far as I could tell that was really just to avoid the smell of burning hair and make it easier to access the area. I trimmed using a bikini razor or similar as my skin gets very sensitive if I shave anything other than legs or underarms.

It's pretty painless and remarkably quick to cover all the areas you want to. I liked other people's suggestions of marking out 'quadrants' with a white eyeliner so you can keep track of progress, that works well. It would be sensible to cover any large moles with the white eyeliner as well, just to minimise exposure to the device.

Two weeks after the first use, my bikini line had lost around 70% of the hair, which I thought was astonishing. It's now had 3 treatments and is down to about 10% of hair remaining. The device is worth it alone for that! It will be such a bonus being able to go for a impromptu swim or jacuzzi without worrying about a wax beforehand.

Underarms seem lighter but it's hard to tell. Arms have probably seen the least improvement, probably because they have the lightest colour hair. Nevertheless, I have definitely seen some improvement and I hope this will continue over time. Legs have definitely improved as well, and I hope this will mean less shaving when summer rolls around. It does seem to dry my skin out though (or is it just the time of year?) so I'd recommend moisturising with a very gentle unperfumed product afterwards.

Overall, I am very pleased with the purchase, and hope that with continual use it will really reduce the time I spend shaving/waxing etc. Only problem is that I'm now pregnant and the manual says not to use when pregnant, because the device wasn't tested on pregnant women. I suspect that is the manufacturer being overly cautious and I don't blame them, but my feeling is that you would probably be ok. I might play it safe for a few months though, and ask my doctor first, just in case!

45 x Ultra Early - 10mIU Wide Width Pregnancy Test Strips (tests up to 6 days earlier)
Offered by Home Health (UK) Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Please PLEASE do yourself a favour and AVOID. Use FRER instead., 16 Mar. 2016
Jargon ahead, so if you're not into all the lingo then the summary is: these are terrible and, far from being super sensitive, don't even detect pregnancy when your levels are 10 times higher than their alleged threshold!

Now for the full story: husband and I were TTC for over a year. Each month I would get excited and feel the need to test before my period was due, so I thought these super sensitive strips would be perfect - cheap and the most sensitive test (10iU HCG) that I could find. Every month I would test and every month it came back negative. Fair enough.

Fast forward to this month, and a gruelling IVF treatment which turned out to be our only realistic chance of conceiving. Our embryo was transferred back into the uterus at 5 days post-retrieval. I was warned not to test before 9 days post transfer (the equivalent of 14 dpo). Obviously I caved and started testing at 9 dpo. Zero line on these strips, but I figured it was too early to test anyway. At 10 dpo I used a First Response Early Result (FRER) as well as one of these strips and....faint line on the FRER!! Zero on the strip. The same thing happened for the next 4 days - I would test with both (same urine sample, first thing in the morning) and the FRER kept showing a stronger and stronger line, while the strips were white as snow. The FRER is said to detect HCG as low as 20 iU, ie half as sensitive as the strips. At 13 dpo I had my blood test done (the most authoritative measure of HCG levels) and it was a whopping 75. That very same morning, the strip had shown only the vaguest of shadows which I could only interpret as a line because I knew I was pregnant. If you were testing using the strips alone, you'd have missed it.

At 14 dpo (by which point my HCG levels would have been around 100), it was still barely showing a shadow on the strip. Clear blue digital and FRER, on the other hand, were both confidently declaring me pregnant.

Conclusion: these strips are awful. Not only do they not pick up at 10iU, they do not even pick up levels of around TEN TIMES that!

Please take my advice, save yourself the heartache and stress of squinting at shadowy lines....and stock up on FRERs instead. I have done a lot of research in the past year and time and time again the FRERs come up as the most reliable early indicator of pregnancy.

Good luck!

Pimpernel 40.1 x 29.8cm  MDF with Cork Back Placemats, Set of 4, Classic Emerald
Pimpernel 40.1 x 29.8cm MDF with Cork Back Placemats, Set of 4, Classic Emerald

3.0 out of 5 stars Picture colour extremely misleading, 11 Dec. 2015
Should have heeded other reviewers who warned that these mats are NOT emerald green. They are a British racing green which is nice in its own right but I had thought I'd stumbled across the jackpot because, judging by the pictures, I thought they matched exactly our dining room feature wall. Sadly not, but they're nice quality anyway.

Simply Nigella: Feel Good Food
Simply Nigella: Feel Good Food
by Nigella Lawson

4.0 out of 5 stars Just as you'd expect from the Domestic Goddess, 11 Dec. 2015
I admit to being a bit of a Nigella fan anyway - I have ended up owning pretty much all her books over the years, almost by accident, because if there's one thing I know about her recipes - it's that they work. My mother always used to say, when hosting friends for dinner, never attempt a recipe that you've not tried before, because it's too much risk that it might go wrong. The only time I am willing to make an exception to this rule is for Nigella's recipes. As usual, the book is glossy and full of beautiful pictures, and I personally love the way she writes an introduction to each recipe. I imagine some could take it or leave it. The peanut butter cookies have become a staple in our house, and whenever I make them people beg me for the recipe. Do I feel she's starting to reach the limits of her inventiveness and imagination? Perhaps, and this might be last book of hers I buy, but for now I think this is a worthy addition to your shelves.

50 LED Warm White Fairy Lights - LED String Lights - 8 Functions Power Operated - Ideal for Christmas Tree, Festive, Wedding/Birthday Party Decorations (50 LED 8M)

1.0 out of 5 stars Fuse blew immediately - AVOID!, 11 Dec. 2015
Should have known they were too good to be true! Ordered 2 sets. On first being plugged in, both worked fine. However, I then unplugged them in order to put a timer on them, and when I plugged them back in again, each set refused to work. Replugged them both without timer - nothing. Switched sockets on and off - nothing. Pressed the button on the plug which switches between function settings - nothing. Tried both sets in a different socket in the house - nothing. I can only assume that BOTH fuses blew when being unplugged. It's too much of a coincidence to assume they were both unlucky enough to have bad fuses so my conclusion is that the product quality is bad generally. Refund requested. Weirdly, I bought the 100 light set from the same seller and haven't had any problems so far (having tried the same plug socket and unplugging/replugging method to in the name of science)!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 12, 2015 7:03 AM GMT

Kitchen Craft Pour n Strain Four Piece Stainless Steel Set
Kitchen Craft Pour n Strain Four Piece Stainless Steel Set

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent pans - a bargain at Amazon's price, 22 April 2013
Searched for a long time for new saucepans as I wanted to invest in something good. I was quite taken with the Le Creuset ones but really wanted pans with clear lids so I could see inside without needing to constantly lift the lid. These were the best match and most highly rated by reviewers so I decided to go with them. The box they arrived in was in a terrible state but luckily the pans inside were fine. They are a good, solid weight without being unwieldy and a good size for everyday needs. The handles don't get hot provided you hold them in the right place (the base of the handle right next to the pan does get hot) and of course the lid handles get hot regardless. Watch out for the largest one though, the small 'helper' handle on the side does get hot! It is possible to drain using just the vents in the lid, but it takes a while and you need to be able to hold the lid in place and not scald yourself on the steam! Easier to use a colander/sieve. They come out well in the dishwasher although mine are starting to look a little mottled/water-stained and the rivets which hold the handle in place are starting to go cloudy/coarse to the touch(I bought them about a year ago and cook every single day). I was gutted to nearly destroy one of them by accidentally leaving a sponge pudding to boil dry; the pan actually survived after much soaking and scrubbing but the non-stick quality seems to have been affected. The milk pan is starting to develop tiny scratches even though I never use metal utensils or put it in the dishwasher, which is a shame. No pan will look brand new after around 350 uses. At Amazon's price of around 60 quid these were an extremely good buy, but if I had paid full price I might have been a bit annoyed at the little signs of ageing which are now appearing.

Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating Earphones (Black)
Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating Earphones (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value earphones, 10 Jan. 2010
I know people who've spent a fortune on posh earphones only to have them break a few months later. These are a great value buy and they work as well as some that are three times the price. They cut out noise from outside and the choice of 3 sizes of bud is a godsend for someone like me with small ears! I wear them in the gym as well as when out and about and they show no signs of stopping. Definitely worth getting.

The Rough Guide to Crete (Rough Guide Travel Guides)
The Rough Guide to Crete (Rough Guide Travel Guides)
by Geoff Garvey

4.0 out of 5 stars I trust Rough Guides and this didn't let me down!, 18 Sept. 2009
I always aim to buy a Rough Guide over other guide books because I like their down to earth style and no nonsense reviews. I was pleased to see that the Rough Guide to Crete is no different. It splits the island up into sections which is handy when you're working out what you could feasibly see in a week. Its section on the history and mythology of Crete was great (a particular interest for me). It really came into its own on our final day when we found ourselves with several hours to kill before our evening flight - the RG said that we could leave our bags at Chania bus station and gave great recommendations on what to do and where to eat - we followed its advice and had a brilliant last day. The only reason it doesn't get 5 stars is because it doesn't have many colour pictures and the very dense text can be hard to follow sometimes.

U-Bop SportsGRIP Armband Holder | Apple iPod Nano 1st & 2nd Generation (Black)
U-Bop SportsGRIP Armband Holder | Apple iPod Nano 1st & 2nd Generation (Black)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not hugely durable, 18 Sept. 2009
It arrived quickly, and is comfortable to wear. However, I have been disappointed that the velcro spots have started to fall off after not much wear - they are essentially not stuck down very well so every time you undo the velcro you're pulling it away from the armband. I lost 2 or three velcro spots this way before attempting to remedy the last remaining ones by sewing them on more firmly, but this hasn't really worked either. So now I'm looking at replacing it, not that long after buying it. Disappointing.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Really useful little invention!, 25 Aug. 2009
I love doing poached eggs on a lazy weekend, but the 'swirl in the water' method isn't very useful if you need to do more than one egg at the same time - by the time I've done the second one, my other half has demolished his already! These little poach pods are a brilliant idea and work really well. I don't have a saute pan so just use a saucepan (filled about 2 inches deep and with the lid on) big enough for them to sit side by side floating. I find they take a little less than the recommended 4 minutes but once they're at the right level of cooked for you, just pick them up (they do get a bit hot!) and flip them inside out. You get a perfectly rounded poached egg. And because you've oiled them beforehand, they're a dream to wash up afterwards. A genuinely useful kitchen gadget, if you love poached eggs!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2013 9:56 AM BST