Profile for Nac_Macfeegle > Reviews

Content by Nac_Macfeegle

Nac_Macfeegle

Learn to Play Gospel Piano (Two DVDs)
Learn to Play Gospel Piano (Two DVDs)
by Ethel Caffie-Austin
Edition: Sheet music

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tuition, 14 July 2013
I think this is a great DVD. It has close ups, and explanations - just what you need to leanr a particular piano style

TomTom Start Classic 3.5" Sat Nav with UK and Western Europe Maps
TomTom Start Classic 3.5" Sat Nav with UK and Western Europe Maps

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gadget - I love it, 14 July 2013
This is my first SatNav and I really love it - it does everything I want it to do and I find it easy to use.
I recently satrted a new current job in which the vehicle is fitted with a satnav made by a rival producer and think it is not as good as my Tom-Tom. I will be sticking with Tom Tom!

Becoming an Accountant: Is Accountancy Really the Career for You? (Becoming a Series)
by Stuart Chandler

4.0 out of 5 stars We should have had books like these instead of those crap 'Careers Session' with bored teachers, 14 July 2013
We should have had books like these instead of those crap 'Careers Session' with bored teachers!

I have only read this one book, but from what I have seen I would recommend this series of to anyone thinking of pursuing a particular career, or anyone who is unsure about what they want to do. The one I read set out exactly what the possible career paths are; explained what is required in terms of skills and study/exams to enter a particular career; and generally debunked the myths, to give you a good idea of whether that career is the one for you.

Self-Hypnosis and Subliminal Technology: A How-to Guide for Personal Empowerment Tools You Can Use Anywhere!
by Eldon Taylor

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Interesting, 14 July 2013
I heard an on-line seminar by Eldon Taylor, and found him very interesting. So far I found his book very interesting too.

Ding Dong the Witch Is Dead
Ding Dong the Witch Is Dead

5.0 out of 5 stars How Appropriate, 13 April 2013
At This Time, I find this song sums up all of my feelings about certain aspects of life in Britain.

School For Scoundrels [DVD] [1960]
School For Scoundrels [DVD] [1960]
Dvd ~ Ian Carmichael
Offered by nagiry

4.0 out of 5 stars School For Scoundrels - I Liked It, 3 Nov. 2011
This is one of those post war British comedies that I used to see on Sat or Sun afternoons when we still only had three TV channels. It is gentle humour, doing what the British do best - laughing at themselves. For me there is something charming about this period in British comedy cinema.

It is the story of a young man, who despite owning a lucratuve business is still a failure in social situations, especially with women.
After being dropped from the tennis team and being humiliated by a rival (played by the wonderful Terry Thomas) he enrolls on a course in 'The School Of Lifemanship' run by Alistar Simm's character. He returns and runs rings around those who previously took advantage of him, but will he get the girl?

Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines [1965] [DVD]
Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines [1965] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stuart Whitman

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent Men In their Flying Machines - Truly Magnificent, 3 Nov. 2011
I loved this film when I was young, and I still love it!
If you haven't seen it, it tells of a fictional air-race from London to Paris in 1910 when aviation was still more of a black art than a science.
There's lots of mischievious national rivalries, burst popmpsoity, and a bit of skullduggery. A great cast (Terry Thomas & Eric Sykes as the villans), great humour, beautifully filmed. A masterpiece of 1960's British comdey film. This film is a keeper!

How To Murder Your Wife [DVD] [1965]
How To Murder Your Wife [DVD] [1965]
Dvd ~ Jack Lemmon

3.0 out of 5 stars Jack Lemon - How To Murder Your Wife, 3 Nov. 2011
When I watched it again after many years I found it wasn't as funny as I remembered, but it is still amusing - good for a lazy evening with a few beers. The best thing about this film is its 'look'. The hair styles, clothes, cars, women, his appartment all look so cool.

It is a little bit cheeky towards women, which some may find annoying. In fact the film is really poking fun at the mid-20th Century American male, and his delusions of machismo.

The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe: TV soundtrack [SOUNDTRACK]
The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe: TV soundtrack [SOUNDTRACK]

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy Customer, 16 May 2011
I was unsure before buying this, as I've bought recordings before of TV/Film music, the packaging of which implied that I was getting the definitive recordings, but which turned out to be re-recordings. So I was worried that this might be yet another of those disappointments. When I got the CD I was OVERJOYED as this is most definitely THE ORIGINAL RECORDINGS (all except the last track, 29 which is another orchestra's take on the music, so I turn it off after track 28). This is why I bought this CD - to have the original music as I always remembered it.

A preveious reviewer complained about 'The Wet Bass Guitar Sound' on the recordings. The sound he refers to is in fact a normal electric guitar played through an amp using a spring-reverb unit turned full-on. I happen to like this sound. It is retro and very much of-its-time, but perhaps that other reveiwer would have preferred a re-mix with some synthesisers in it! The Art Of Noise did a modern take on this music that might be more to his taste.

Great packaging - the booklet goes into the discovery of the original recordings, and also tells the fascinating story of the real-life sailor upon whom the story of Robinson Crusoe is based.

All in all - this was money well spent.

Music Composition For Dummies
Music Composition For Dummies
by Holly Day

4.0 out of 5 stars Novice Composer / Arranger says..., 13 Jan. 2011
I found 'Music Composition For Dummies' surprisingly good. I don't like the lay out of the 'For Dummies' books, but I perservered. My grasp of music theory has holes in it, and reading music is quite poor, so there are parts fot he book I'm going to have to go back and work through. But what I think is the really important part of this book is that it encourages you to THINK and to LISTEN like a composer. In the short time since my first reading of this book I've sarted to listen to music in a different way, but also to every day sounds. I can see now how they can be the inspiration for subsequent muscial work, whther they be 'Classical' or other types of music. - There are other books on composition and arranging that I am waiting to read, but I think this is a good one to start with if you're a novice.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 24, 2011 12:03 AM BST