Profile for D. Collier > Reviews

Content by D. Collier

D. Collier "Haze-Dweller" (North West England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Berghaus Expeditor Aq Ridge, Women High Rise Hiking Shoes, Black (Black/Angel Blue X12), 7 UK (40 1/2 EU)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Boot, 18 May 2016
Got the women's boots as we already have the male version. Best boots we've ever had, light and springy to wear and they look quite shoe-like in town with long trousers.

Gouda Cheese Shop Baby Gouda Cheese | Half a cheese +/- 6 kilo / 13.2 lbs
Gouda Cheese Shop Baby Gouda Cheese | Half a cheese +/- 6 kilo / 13.2 lbs
Offered by Gouda Cheese Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Creamy and Nutty, 10 April 2016
'Baby' refers to the age of the cheese not its size, 6 kilos is a lot for a family to manage, but we'll manage it somehow. It's reduced salt, so the publicity says, which is a good thing but means it won't keep so well as a cheese with a heavy salt content. Needs a bit of care. The taste, however, is creamy, nutty and classy so worth the effort to manage the volume somehow.

Muvver Tongue
Muvver Tongue
by Robert Barltrop

5.0 out of 5 stars Much More Accurate than Partridge, 27 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Muvver Tongue (Paperback)
I was brought up listening to and speaking the London dialect of the time and I agree with everything the authors say. And I especially agree that many academics, including Eric Partridge, get a lot wildly wrong.
The book is a thorough job. It surprised me as I read it that there’s quite a lot to a London dialect, and really you could never do it unless you can do it.
Interesting towards the end of the book they spell advertizing with a z. Sounds like it ought to be American but isn’t, it’s actually archaic English, according to what I can find on the web. One of a number of curiosities, to add to the interest.
The authors mention the Asian influx to East London and how as the generations move on the offspring speak with London accents, but I don’t think the Asian-origin Londoners use rhyming slang. I don’t think West Indian-origin Londoners do either. Might be wrong there - I’d be interested to find out more. Must cock a be'ewren!
The authors also don’t mention the more recent rhyming slang, still in widespread use now, e.g.
J. Arthur for a, ahem, merchant banker.
Ruby for a curry.
Gary would be in use still I think if anyone drank bitter these days.
Glorias for trainers.
Not sure of the origin of any of these, but they’re used by London-accented white people a lot. So the language changes but does not die - the author's pessimism towards the end of the book may be too glum, thank goodness.

Not I: A German Childhood
Not I: A German Childhood
by Joachim C. Fest

4.0 out of 5 stars Joachim Fest experienced life as the child of a dissenting ..., 1 Nov. 2014
Joachim Fest experienced life as the child of a dissenting family in Germany during the Nazi years - dissenting in the sense that they rejected Nazi-ism and regarded the people in charge of government as thugs and criminals. This book gives a convincing picture of just how difficult it is to stick with your convictions when the people in charge are thugs, criminals and toadies.
Fest's family was a prosperous middle-class one with pretensions, and I found some of his assumptions that life needs a focus on literature and music to be meaningful a bit yawn-making, and I think that had I met him during his younger years I would have encouraged him to lighten up and live a little. Perversely his wartime experiences did that for him to some extent, for as he points out, the middle class was pretty-much destroyed in 1930s Germany.
Certainly thought-making. A bit turgid I found in the initial chapters, but the story is worthy of the telling.

Grafica Della Strada: The Signs of Italy
Grafica Della Strada: The Signs of Italy
by Louise Fili

5.0 out of 5 stars For many years I have thought it a great shame that these signs are not better promoted, 1 Nov. 2014
Congratulations to Louise Fili for producing this. When you visit Italy now you can look for something really spectacular and individual that the guidebooks do not show you. For many years I have thought it a great shame that these signs are not better promoted, it is not entirely clear either how much they are protected, though it seems from Louise's book that some of them are, which is something.
Buy this book and then visit Lucca (especially, as Louise points out), Bologna and Turin as well as where the tours want to take you. You'll be rewarded to a far greater depth than you will gawping at some old church, (in my opinion).

Second-Rate Citizens or Britain through the Eyes of Polish Immigrants
Second-Rate Citizens or Britain through the Eyes of Polish Immigrants

4.0 out of 5 stars Bravo - Someone Reporting at Last!, 20 Aug. 2014
Every politician should read this book. The world the authors describe is nothing new, there have always been jobs that are harsh on employees, personal working environments that are unpleasant, environments where those from outside are discriminated against, and some jobs such as the conscientious Natalia found, where the employee has to make compromises to their moral principles. For me the book is reminiscent of the early 1960s when I and my friends sometimes found ourselves in similar types of jobs.
The difference with the people coming into the UK from Eastern Europe since 2004, though, is that many of them are erudite and educated, and so can see the situation objectively and, in this case, write about it. It has not been much written about, mainly because those who might do so are not prepared to stick with it for so long.
My complaints about the book is that a) it could benefit from better copy-editing, b) it will come over to some people as ungracious griping and complaining, and c) I would have liked it to be a bit longer with some more analysis, clearly Britain is a prosperous country and clearly it could never be that if everyone behaved in the way that the storytellers relate - they are looking at a subset, but it is a very real and significant subset and one that gets little reported on and one that many politicians implicitly deny even exists.

3 3 Self Adhesive Large Photo Albums Totaling 60 Sheets 120 Sides -Pack of 3
3 3 Self Adhesive Large Photo Albums Totaling 60 Sheets 120 Sides -Pack of 3
Offered by Just Jackies Bargains

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly, 11 Nov. 2013
Good price - seems every bit as functional as similar products that cost at least twice as much in the shops.

Sony Ericsson 1500mAh Battery for Sony Ericsson Arc
Sony Ericsson 1500mAh Battery for Sony Ericsson Arc
Offered by Great Crafts Supplies of London

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Perfectly, 3 May 2013
My old battery was draining in less than a day and I wondered whether a replacement would actually make any difference. It did. This put the phone back to as it was at a stroke.

Kindle Paperwhite (5th generation), 6" High Resolution Display (212 ppi) with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi

2.0 out of 5 stars User Interface Needs Some Professional Advice, 1 April 2013
As regards reading a book on this product, I cannot say as yet. So far it is one of those products that annoys me. A product where I am convinced I could do it better. Where in particular I am irritated that those who design the user interface get paid more than I do.
I tried to download a book. My debit card has been changed by the bank recently and the number held on my Amazon account is out of date. On the Kindle I click on the old number and then 'Update'. Now would you think that update means update? Seems reasonable? Seems not. It means order the book. Then the transaction gets quite reasonably bounced and I begin to ponder jumping up and down on this Kindle with my boots on.
I may still do that, as a matter of principle, I still haven't got this issue resolved yet and am beginning to wonder whether the effort is worthwhile.
Took me a long while too to get past a letter on screen signed by Jeff Bezos. Still don't know quite how I managed to get rid of it after much screen-stabbing. Jeff, I am a mildly experienced user-interface designer. Reasonable rates!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2013 10:08 PM BST

BRITA Fjord Cool Water Filter Jug, 2.6L - White
BRITA Fjord Cool Water Filter Jug, 2.6L - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Professional Feel, 16 Feb. 2013
Well made, fits in door of fridge. Everything about it feels well thought through. We use a water filter to prevent the water from our taps smelling like lavatory cleaner. The chemicals that are added to drinking water are, we are told, perfectly safe. Maybe they are, but they still smell and taste harsh and unpleasant.
Some people say that putting a jug of tap water in the fridge will have the same effect as a water filter as the chemicals dissipate as gas. I'm not sure how true this is; since the water filter works and works well, I'll use it and not ask any more questions.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4