Profile for Tom > Reviews

Content by Tom

Tom

Standard of Honor (Templar Trilogy)
Standard of Honor (Templar Trilogy)
by Jack Whyte

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book. You will not be disappointed., 17 Aug. 2015
I bought the first in this trilogy from a charity shop. I was hooked from the first page and had to buy the rest of the books as soon as I could rather than hope to find them also in charity shops.

This is the most human and convincing telling of the Templar story, and while it may not be true, who is to say what true is for this story? It's an amazingly effective realisation of the world of its time and the story itself is gripping.

I have since bought the King Arthur series and I am equally hooked on those books.

Once you start with this author you will be looking for his next book.

I can't praise this book or any of his others highly enough.

Tavener: The Protecting Veil
Tavener: The Protecting Veil

4.0 out of 5 stars Mainly awesome, 10 Jun. 2014
This disc is amazing. An excellent performance of the Protecting Veil, itself a deeply moving revisiting of several of Tavener's choral themes. The whole is, however, let down by the inclusion of Britten's music.

Monteverdi - Teatro d'Amore [Includes 44 Page Booklet]
Monteverdi - Teatro d'Amore [Includes 44 Page Booklet]

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection, 7 April 2013
This album is just about the most perfect selection ever, let down in my view only by the unnecessarily jazzy track 2. Zefiro Torna is the best piece of music performed the best I have ever encountered.

Premier Housewares Wall Mountable Can Crusher - Black
Premier Housewares Wall Mountable Can Crusher - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't crush a can, 9 Mar. 2012
Once I'd mounted this can crusher on the wall, I tried to crush a can. The arms started bending, the can remained still and uncrushed. I hit the can with a hatchet to weaken it. It still beat the crusher. Maybe it's only for aluminium drinks cans, but it doesn't say so. Mine is going back in the post the same day it came.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2014 7:38 PM BST

The Sword of Albion: The Sword of Albion Trilogy Book 1
The Sword of Albion: The Sword of Albion Trilogy Book 1
by Mark Chadbourn

5.0 out of 5 stars As excellent as expected, 6 Sept. 2010
This book follows in the style and universe of the Age of Misrule etc. It truly is one of those books which is hard to put down, and leaves you wanting more. My knowledge of history at the time this is set is somewhat shaky, but I would imagine given the depth of research evident in all other aspects of his writing, that you can use Chadbourn's book as a text book if you strip out the fiction. Although... given the reality that he creates, I find myself believing in Chadbourn's version of the world more and more, and hoping that it is true.

Although set in the same universe, there are subtle differences in how the players from the various factions operate, but this itself is consistent with the ever-changing nature of his universe. The book finishes conclusively, and I was afraid that it was a stand alone work, but I see that it is listed as Book 1, so here's hoping for the next to come very soon.