Profile for H. Ashford > Reviews

Content by H. Ashford

H. Ashford "hashford" (Sheffield, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Into Paradise
Into Paradise
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars uncomfortable pastiche, 10 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Into Paradise (Audio CD)
I bought this because I was captivated by this beautiful rendition of Brunning’s Pie Jesu on the radio one morning – a real “stop what you’re doing and listen” moment. So I rushed to Amazon and, after a little research, bought this, their second CD.

Unfortunately, Pie Jesu is by far the best track on the album, though they do a nice job of most of the rest. There’s no question that the girls sing beautifully. They have fresh, pure, captivating voices that blend well together.

But what a pity about the material. What this album lacks is any sense of coherence or theme. It feels like a portfolio – each song chosen to showcase what they can do (and they do it nicely), and in some cases the arrangements seem to be intended to give each girl a turn rather than give us a new look at a familiar song.

If the All Angels want to be more than just a 2 hit wonder, then I think they need to find their own unique “voice” and put some real heart and soul into their work.

Vanish Gold for Whites Oxi Action Stain Remover Powder 1.41 kg
Vanish Gold for Whites Oxi Action Stain Remover Powder 1.41 kg

4.0 out of 5 stars makes the whites whiter, 10 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is difficult to review within 30 days; I would have liked to give it a longer trial. But here goes.

I have been in the habit of using the “ordinary” Vanish powder in my wash, so the question is – is this powder better? And the answer is, yes I think it is. The white towels really do seem to come out white (I no longer feel that they are heading towards grey), and the underwear (which I also soaked in Vanish before washing) has come out nice and stain free.

I was horrified when my daughter put it in the coloured wash ... but, panic over, it didn’t leach the colours out, so it really does seem to do its stain removal work without bleaching.

Overall, I am very pleased with this product.

Betron Pop Up Portable Mini Travel II Capsule Rechargeable 40mm Speaker For Iphone, iPod, Ipad, Tablets and MP3 Players (Wired, Black)
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars neat little speaker, 10 Mar. 2015
I have had this over 6 months now, and am still very pleased with it. It is small and neat, it drops in and out of my suitcase easily. It makes an impressive sound for such a small device, certainly enough for a hotel bedroom. It has a 3mm jack so you can plug it in to any device that you use headphones for – simple. There’s even an on/off light so you won’t leave it on by mistake and run the battery down.

Having said that, the battery life seems very long, I haven’t actually timed it but, unlike my other devices, I don’t feel the need to carry the charger lead with me everywhere I go. The only thing that I think it needs is a battery low indicator.

DIGIFLEX Armband for Apple iPod Touch 1st, 2nd, 3rd & New 4th Generation 8gb, 16gb, 32gb & 64gb & iPhone 3G 3Gs
Offered by Digiflex

3.0 out of 5 stars basic, but does the job, 10 Mar. 2015
This is pretty basic, but it does the job, and at the price you can’t complain. It has a simple pouch for your ipod (I have an ipod touch), and there’s also a nifty little slot for your door key (though I haven’t used that).

As other reviewers have said, it doesn’t have all that much adjustment – if you have skinny arms, or you want to wear it on your forearm, then there’s not enough Velcro.

But my biggest gripe is that it isn’t quite deep enough. So if you put your ipod in upside down (compared to the pictures on the Amazon page) – which you do need to do if you want to plug in your earphones! – then the little button is hidden behind the seam at the top of the armband which makes it very difficult to stop/start the ipod.

Dexshell Ultralite Waterproof Socks - Hi Vis (Medium UK 6-8)
Dexshell Ultralite Waterproof Socks - Hi Vis (Medium UK 6-8)
Offered by Dales Distribution Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars very pleased with them, 10 Mar. 2015
These are thinner than my Sealskinz, but that’s OK they fit in my running shoe better. And they don’t come up the leg as far – which is OK for me as I am not splashing through streams. At half the price, I think they represent fantastic value for money.

I have found them extremely comfortable to run in – much nicer than my ordinary running socks, so I will probably use them all year round :-). So far, my feet have stayed dry, but I have only worn them a couple of times.

Revlon ColorStay Eyeliner - 5 g, N1 Black
Revlon ColorStay Eyeliner - 5 g, N1 Black

4.0 out of 5 stars easy to use, 10 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This eyeliner pencil provides a great deal of precision and allows you to make very strong marks if you wish. It's much easier to make thin marks with than a standard pencil eye liner and, it stays on really well, but it's not very water proof. The smudger it comes with is great and can be used either to make a smoky eye effect or to remove small mistakes if you're making wings

Overall I loved this eyeliner, and thought it was very easy to use

First4spares Universal Black Control Knobs for Ovens, Cookers and Hobs (Pack of 4)
Offered by L.M Electrical

4.0 out of 5 stars did the job, but pricey, 1 Mar. 2015
I needed replacement knobs for my cooker. I had been managing quite well with only 4 out of 6 knobs working properly, but when I broke one of those it was the last straw! So I ordered these generic knobs.

These come with 3 sets of fixings in two lengths and two sizes of hole – one combination of which was right for my cooker. I found them easy to fit in place.

So why not 5*s? Well, at £12 for a set of 4 I think they’re rather pricey. Also they seem flimsy to me, and ugly, and not very positive to grasp. So while they have done the job I need, I’m not exactly wowed by them.

Igenix IG3001 2 Slice Toaster in White with Six Position Variable Control, 750 Watt

4.0 out of 5 stars cheap and cheerful, 25 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At the current reduced price (£15) this toaster is good value for money.

It produces evenly browned toast, it has 6 settings so you can choose how brown you want your toast to be, it will deal with different thicknesses from thin sliced bread to crumpets, it can toast frozen bread, and even warms up cooled toast.

I agree with other reviewers that it is odd that they don’t make it big enough to take bread from a standard sliced loaf – but that wasn’t a big problem for me. I was more bothered by the fact that I would have liked the lead to be longer so that I have more choice about where I can place it.

Overall, I am pleased to have a cheap and cheerful piece of kitchen equipment that my daughter can take to university with her.

Unstoppable: Using the Power of Focus to Take Action and Achieve Your Goals
Unstoppable: Using the Power of Focus to Take Action and Achieve Your Goals
by Pete Wilkinson

4.0 out of 5 stars for people who don’t want to be bothered with compromise, 25 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Unstoppable by Pete Wilkinson - for people who don’t want to be bothered with compromise ****

I’ve read a number of these motivational books, and I always seem to fail at the first hurdle. That is, I find it nigh on impossible to settle on that all important goal for my life or work. I used to wonder what was wrong with me – do I lack focus, or determination? But having thought about this over the years, I have come to the conclusion that setting a goal and then pursuing it single-mindedly is not necessarily a good recipe for a happy, or even a successful, life.

So, what is it about this book that has triggered this outburst from me! For a start I was not impressed by the preface (where he talks about completing a long-distance triathlon). And the reason I am not impressed is this. Competing a major endurance event requires a huge investment of time – hours of training week after week – but where does he talk about the sacrifices that he and his family must have made in order to make it possible for him to invest that time on top of running a business?

Also you have to ask, is there no value in doing things just for themselves? If you find yourself saying things like “my focus wasn’t on the pain I was experiencing; it was on the way I would feel at the end” (page17), you might want to ask yourself if the means justifies the end. I also have a leisure activity which requires repetitive and time consuming training in order to develop strength and expertise, but I don’t need a “goal” or a “vision” to motivate me to maintain my training – I do it for the benefits of the activity.

Having said all that, this book is very clearly set out. If you can decide on your “crystal clear vision”, then Wilkinson can give you a structured approach which will give you a better chance of achieving it. For me, the benefit lies in the structure – create your vision, break it down into main 3 objectives, set 5 goals for each of the objectives. (Standard “dealing with elephant tasks” stuff that I learned in the 1980s). The benefit is two-fold – firstly break a big task into manageable parts, and secondly give yourself a means of monitoring progress.

The whole of the objectives section is about good Project Management. Stay outcome focussed. Set goals that are measurable and achievable, etc, etc. Then there is a useful section of key skills – leadership, personal organisation, relationship building and key strength development – all good stuff for anyone in a professional or managerial role.

Overall, I feel this is a well structured book with lots of good advice, which will help people to be more focussed at work and at home, and develop the skills to be more productive and to achieve more. Just don’t take it TOO seriously!

PhysioWorld Spikey Massage Ball - 7cm / 9cm - Blue / Pink (Pink, 9cm)
PhysioWorld Spikey Massage Ball - 7cm / 9cm - Blue / Pink (Pink, 9cm)
Offered by Shop@PHYSIOWORLD

2.0 out of 5 stars Too hard, too spiky, too big, 18 Feb. 2015
I bought this because I get a lot of tension across my upper back and need to be able to massage it by myself.

I find this ball too hard and too spiky. I can’t use it on the floor at all, only on the bed. Also, I find it too big. Yes that’s my fault for buying the 9cm instead of the 7cm ball, but I feel the Amazon page could give more information about how to use it and which size is best for different purposes.

All in all, I prefer my trusty tennis ball, which seems to do the job just as well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20