Profile for H. Ashford > Reviews

Content by H. Ashford

H. Ashford "hashford" (Sheffield, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
2L Hiking Hydration Bladder Bag Backpack System Pack Water Reservoir Camping Fits Camelbak fitnessXzone®
Offered by Thunder Trading

5.0 out of 5 stars very pleased with it, 1 July 2015
I have had this a couple of months and used it maybe 8 times, during which period I have had no problem with it.

It is easy to fill, though I guess it would take some care to fill it to the full 2 litre capacity (I have settled for ¾ full), and easy to use. It has a bite mouthpiece which can be screwed into a closed position to prevent leakage (though this hasn’t been a problem for me and I don’t generally twist it closed), which is very easy to use and comfortable.
I have used it in an ordinary rucksack. At first I put it in the main body, but then I discovered that if I don’t overfill I can squeeze it into one of the side pockets, which is much better – it is supported in an upright position so I can get every last drop of water out, and it is not at risk of being damaged by other rucksack contents.

All in all, I am very pleased at the discounted price I paid (£7.99 & free postage) and can highly recommend it.

HOTER Sportline Wrist Band, Terry Cloth Wristband, Sweat Band, Sweatband (Price for SINGLE PIECE)
Offered by Ayozen

4.0 out of 5 stars good value for money, 1 July 2015
This was my first foray into sweatbands so I didn’t really know what to expect, and the range of (strongly held!) viewpoints expressed in reviews on this page had me entertained for a while, but not a lot better informed!

Personally, I have found these sweatbands (I ordered head and wrist bands at the same time) to be comfortable to wear, and moderately good at absorbing sweat.

Of course, the next thing I discovered is that you need more than one set (unless you want to wash them out every day!) ... so I thought I would try a few of the other cheap sweatbands on offer. What I can tell you after my (very limited) trial of the market is that these are marginally more expensive (including postage I paid £3.18 for the set – which hardly breaks the bank), and by far the best in terms of absorbency, width and fit.

As cheap and cheerful sweatbands for moderately active workouts I can highly recommend them.

HOTER Sportline Head Band, Terry Cloth Headband, Sweat Band, Sweatband
HOTER Sportline Head Band, Terry Cloth Headband, Sweat Band, Sweatband
Offered by Ayozen

4.0 out of 5 stars good value for money, 1 July 2015

Terry Cloth Gym Sweatbands Sweat Band Set - 1 x Headband & 2 x Wristbands, in Black
Offered by E-Guru

3.0 out of 5 stars cheap and cheerful, 1 July 2015
Really at the price you can’t complain.

These are pretty thin, but they are made of terry cotton so they do absorb quite a lot of moisture. They also go through the washing machine OK, and without leaving black bits on everything else.

For me the fit is fine and the width is similar to other sweatbands I own.

Just 4 Fun Leisurewear Purple Sweatband Headband & 2 Wristbands One size
Just 4 Fun Leisurewear Purple Sweatband Headband & 2 Wristbands One size
Offered by ROBERT SMITH ROWAN EXPRESS HATS

1.0 out of 5 stars for the look only, 1 July 2015
The clue is in the name “just for fun”. If you want to strut around looking like an extra in high school musical without ever breaking a sweat then these are ideal ... and by far the cheapest “sweatbands” I have ever come across.

On the other hand, if you want to work out, then these are useless. They are made of some material that actually seems to repel water. Even after washing they still don’t absorb any liquid at all – if brushed against a sweaty forehead the droplets just sit on the surface.

Don’t waste your money on these, there are other cheap terry cloth sweatbands around.

Pinkyee Women's Piano Keyboard Patterns Color Contrast Leggings Pattern Color One Size
Offered by dandebiz (7-21 days delivery time)

1.0 out of 5 stars cheap and nasty, 1 July 2015
Very disappointed with these. The fabric is cheap, thin and very stretchy. They are WAY too small (I am a fit and healthy size 12-14), which means that the pattern stretches out in an unattractive way (I wanted to look like a moving keyboard, not merely splotches of black on white).

Don’t waste your money on them!

Ysabel
Ysabel

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 1 July 2015
This review is from: Ysabel (Kindle Edition)
I read Ysabel because it was chosen for my sci-fi reading group. Kay is not an author I had read before, but was highly recommended by one member of the group. We were aware that some of his other books have better reviews than this one, but we wanted to read a standalone book (the problem with reading one of a set is that then you want to read the rest ... and there are only so many weeks in a year!), and a recent one, so Ysabel was chosen.

Personally I enjoyed reading this book. I liked the setting in beautiful and historic Provence – I thought that came across well – and the fast pace. I read a lot in the Young Adult genre, and as a YA “coming of age” story this book would score quite highly.

However, as a fantasy novel aimed at adults – it just fails. The love triangle around Ysabel lacks depth and the plot stretches credibility. Ned comes across as a college student (not as a 15 year old boy) and the attempts to tie him to his classroom back home are really clumsy. Most disappointing of all was the way the supernatural elements are handled. There is so much scope there, so much possibility, but Kay reduces it to a mundane power struggle between two love-struck men.

I gave it 2½*s (rounded up to 3) because I like YA books, and I enjoyed reading it. But I was by far the highest voter in my group. My advice to anyone looking for a mature sci-fi / fantasy novel is not to bother with this one.

ELEGIANT Kitchen Timer Alarm Magnetic Large LCD Digital Count Up Down Egg Clock 24 Hours for Home House Cooking Dinner Lunch Breakfast

5.0 out of 5 stars what's not to like?, 13 May 2015
A straightforward kitchen timer. And it tells the time too - an added bonus. Really good price, and it does the job I bought it for.

Find Me
Find Me
by Laura van den Berg

4.0 out of 5 stars What sort of person will I be?, 13 May 2015
This review is from: Find Me (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Joy Jones is in “Hospital”; the supposed reason being that her apparent immunity to a mysterious sickness that is striking down Americans will help to bring about a cure. As the story progresses we learn about Joy’s background – orphaned as a baby, in and out of foster homes and children’s centres – and become more and more dubious about what is going on at Hospital.

This is a very unusual book and I am finding it hard to review. It is sort of “dystopian” in that some of the normal structures of society have broken down due to some external event (in this case the mysterious sickness which starts with silver blisters and ends with memory loss and death; no-one knows where it came from, what causes it, or how to cure it), but this is mostly by way of scene setting and we are much more interested in Joy’s experiences, both before and after entering Hospital.

I like the narrative style a lot, and I thought Joy’s voice is very well done. She is a confused and disorientated young woman, and sometimes the narrative feels confusing and disorientating (!) There were times I wasn’t quite sure whether something had actually happened or Joy had imagined it – but the point is that it doesn’t really matter. This is really about Joy’s journey – both her physical travels and her mental and emotional journey.

For me, I think this book is not so much an exploration of loneliness (as described in the blurb), but rather an exploration of loss and a search for identity. It’s a relatively quick and easy read, and I recommend giving it a try.

Composite Structures According to Eurocode 4: Worked Examples
Composite Structures According to Eurocode 4: Worked Examples
by Darko Dujmovic

4.0 out of 5 stars useful text book, 5 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a useful text book for practising civil and structural engineers, and students which will be of assistance to those who are undertaking the design of composite steel and concrete structures.

Well laid out with helpful remarks throughout the text which provide guidance to the load cases to be considered. The book provides worked examples covering:
• The calculation of Creep and shrinkage for a composite beam, highway bridge and the effects of creep and shrinkage on bending moments
• Composite beams of various cross sections
• Composite columns of various cross sections
• Composite slabs
• Fatigue assessment

It will be a valuable reference for anyone involved with designing in accordance with Eurocode 4.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20