Profile for H. Ashford > Reviews

Content by H. Ashford

H. Ashford "hashford" (Sheffield, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
ELEGIANT Kitchen Timer Alarm Magnetic Large LCD Digital Count Up Down Egg Clock 24 Hours for Home House Cooking Dinner Lunch Breakfast

5.0 out of 5 stars what's not to like?, 13 May 2015
A straightforward kitchen timer. And it tells the time too - an added bonus. Really good price, and it does the job I bought it for.

Find Me
Find Me
by Laura Van den Berg

4.0 out of 5 stars What sort of person will I be?, 13 May 2015
This review is from: Find Me (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Joy Jones is in “Hospital”; the supposed reason being that her apparent immunity to a mysterious sickness that is striking down Americans will help to bring about a cure. As the story progresses we learn about Joy’s background – orphaned as a baby, in and out of foster homes and children’s centres – and become more and more dubious about what is going on at Hospital.

This is a very unusual book and I am finding it hard to review. It is sort of “dystopian” in that some of the normal structures of society have broken down due to some external event (in this case the mysterious sickness which starts with silver blisters and ends with memory loss and death; no-one knows where it came from, what causes it, or how to cure it), but this is mostly by way of scene setting and we are much more interested in Joy’s experiences, both before and after entering Hospital.

I like the narrative style a lot, and I thought Joy’s voice is very well done. She is a confused and disorientated young woman, and sometimes the narrative feels confusing and disorientating (!) There were times I wasn’t quite sure whether something had actually happened or Joy had imagined it – but the point is that it doesn’t really matter. This is really about Joy’s journey – both her physical travels and her mental and emotional journey.

For me, I think this book is not so much an exploration of loneliness (as described in the blurb), but rather an exploration of loss and a search for identity. It’s a relatively quick and easy read, and I recommend giving it a try.

Composite Structures According to Eurocode 4: Worked Examples
Composite Structures According to Eurocode 4: Worked Examples
by Boris Androić

4.0 out of 5 stars useful text book, 5 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a useful text book for practising civil and structural engineers, and students which will be of assistance to those who are undertaking the design of composite steel and concrete structures.

Well laid out with helpful remarks throughout the text which provide guidance to the load cases to be considered. The book provides worked examples covering:
• The calculation of Creep and shrinkage for a composite beam, highway bridge and the effects of creep and shrinkage on bending moments
• Composite beams of various cross sections
• Composite columns of various cross sections
• Composite slabs
• Fatigue assessment

It will be a valuable reference for anyone involved with designing in accordance with Eurocode 4.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II Camera - Black (16.1 MP, M.Zuiko 12 - 50 mm Lens)
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II Camera - Black (16.1 MP, M.Zuiko 12 - 50 mm Lens)
Price: £1,099.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A camera for enthusiasts!, 21 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am really impressed with this camera. I love the practical size, making it easy to carry around, and the way it sits comfortably in the hand – it’s a joy to use. The “super control panel” user interface is also surprisingly easy to use – given the impressive array of features offered. Which is just as well, as it doesn’t come with a full manual, just a quick start guide.

Now, the important bit – it produces pictures of superb quality. The lens supplied with it has been more than adequate for my needs (although I understand there are more powerful lenses available for the camera), and we found the optical image stabilisation feature very very effective, providing surprisingly good pictures in low light without needing to use a tripod.

It has a range of pre-set features and we have had fun experimenting with producing moody/fuzzy pictures as well. Effects can be pre-viewed while shooting, as can controls of exposure and depth of field – making it very intuitive to use.

Overall, I have been very pleased with this camera. I love its size, its stability and ease of use, and the range of features. Like other reviewers, I think that for over £1000, Olympus could afford to supply an SD card with it so that it can be used straight out of the box.

Sure LED GU10 PAR16 5W Replacement for 50 Watt, 380 lumen, non-dimmable bulb, 2700k warm light

3.0 out of 5 stars practical, 3 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I ordered this in the afternoon and it arrived the following morning – how’s that for service! I was glad it did, because I had just had a bulb go the previous day, so I was able to use it straight away.

It fitted easily in the socket. It sheds a “warm white” light – which is slightly less harsh on the eyes than the halogen bulb I was using.

As to the cost, well this single bulb is the same price as the 10 x 50W halogen bulbs I had previously bought. So even if it does use a lot less electricity and lasts longer, I remain to be convinced that it is really cheaper
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2015 6:22 PM BST

iGadgitz IGX-450S Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Lightweight Stereo Sports In-ear Earphones Headphones (Music streaming and Microphone with Noise Reduction for Hands free Calling) with Case - Black/Neon Green
Offered by iGadgitz

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful!, 3 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am delighted to have these Bluetooth earphones because the earphone lead is such a nuisance – I keep catching it on things (this is how I break them – that and rolling them up to go in my handbag). All these problems are now solved.

I had to charge the earphones initially, but once they were charged I had them up and running in minutes. I have successfully linked (paired?) them with 2 ipods and my Galaxy S4 phone, all three devices seem to work perfectly with them.

The instructions are clear, they are easy and intuitive to use, and they come in a neat box for travelling. Very happy with them.

Airmax Sport Version Nasal Dilator
Airmax Sport Version Nasal Dilator

5.0 out of 5 stars who would have thought ..., 3 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
… that putting something IN your nose would help you breathe more easily!

I have mild, but chronic, rhinitis. This means that my nasal passages tend to swell up very easily which makes me “snuffly”. It doesn’t worry me during the day, but at night when I lie down my nasal passages tend to get blocked, which means:
(a) I wake up with a very stuffy head; sometimes it wakes me in the night and I just have to sit up and wait for my nasal passages to drain
(b) I often end up breathing through my mouth and wake up with a bad taste in my mouth (and bad breath too).

Right from the very first night I was amazed how much difference it made. I can breathe much more easily and am not waking up feeling “stuffed-up”. I am very pleased with it and intend to continue using it on a regular basis.

I found this little dilator very easy to put in (after the first time I didn’t bother with a mirror), and not uncomfortable to wear even for a full night. I’m aware of it, obviously, but it doesn’t make my nose ache or anything like that.

I don’t know why it has to be bright orange – I’m sure they could have chosen a more discreet colour – and I think I would be embarrassed to wear it in the gym for that reason :-). My only other concern is that if I wear it every night over an extended period it might make my nose spread a little – I guess only time will tell on that one.

Beechfield Vermont Ladies/Womens Winter Headband (One Size) (Black)
Beechfield Vermont Ladies/Womens Winter Headband (One Size) (Black)
Offered by notonlybowls

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, 3 April 2015
Comfortable, attractive, low prices - what's not to like? It keeps my head warm on a cold day while looking good - I'm pleased with it.

Philips HX6732/45 Healthy White Rechargeable Toothbrush
Philips HX6732/45 Healthy White Rechargeable Toothbrush

3.0 out of 5 stars teeth-rattling!, 3 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well I have to say that opinions are divided in this household.

I hate this toothbrush. I hate the high pitched noise it makes and the awful tooth-rattling “buzz” you get if you accidentally touch your teeth with the handle. And while it brushes your teeth perfectly adequately, I prefer the rotate and pulse action of my old Braun toothbrushes.

My daughter, on the other hand, loves it and says that it gets her teeth much cleaner. Which I suppose, at the end of the day, is what matters.

Lastly on the subject of cost, this toothbrush is not overpriced. However, the replacement heads are hugely expensive, certainly costly enough to put me off. And what’s worse, I already have a stock of standard replacement heads for electric toothbrushes, which seem to fit most brands (certainly Braun and Oral-B). But these are not compatible with the Phillips toothbrush, leaving you no choice but to buy their expensive heads.

Into Paradise
Into Paradise
Offered by Leisurezone

3.0 out of 5 stars uncomfortable pastiche, 10 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Into Paradise (Audio CD)
I bought this because I was captivated by this beautiful rendition of Brunning’s Pie Jesu on the radio one morning – a real “stop what you’re doing and listen” moment. So I rushed to Amazon and, after a little research, bought this, their second CD.

Unfortunately, Pie Jesu is by far the best track on the album, though they do a nice job of most of the rest. There’s no question that the girls sing beautifully. They have fresh, pure, captivating voices that blend well together.

But what a pity about the material. What this album lacks is any sense of coherence or theme. It feels like a portfolio – each song chosen to showcase what they can do (and they do it nicely), and in some cases the arrangements seem to be intended to give each girl a turn rather than give us a new look at a familiar song.

If the All Angels want to be more than just a 2 hit wonder, then I think they need to find their own unique “voice” and put some real heart and soul into their work.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20