Profile for Highlander > Reviews

Content by Highlander

Highlander (Inverness,Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Coronation of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II: The Form and Order of the Service and the Music Sung in the Abbey Church of St Peter, Westminster, 2. June 1953
by Frank Howes

1.0 out of 5 stars Queen of England Yes Queen of Scotland No, 18 Oct. 2007
It is a sad fact that Elizabeth the gracious Queen and long indeed may she reign has perhaps not been advised to or acknowledged in her title Scotland as one of the signatory countries she rules over as Queen Elizabeth the second.Her title only acknowledges Queen Elizabeth the First who only ever reigned over England dying in 1603. James the Sixth of Scotland(known as the wisest fool in Christendom) left Scotland in the charge of his Earls and went south in that year to reign on the English throne also becoming in his person James Sixth and First.Here are the sad beginnings in our eventual loss of our Independence and our freedom although Scotland is a Sovereign state she has no Sovereign directly.
Since Titles are in the gift of the Sovereign the Scottish titles the Greek Prince Philip holds and his sons Charles and Andrew must be in question.However of course this facsimile does not touch these perilous waters but as an accurate copy and portrayal of the service does it reasonably well.For a rendering of the items used in the service and their symbolism one needs to look elsewhere.As a Scot one wonders for instance why the Scottish Stone of Destiny should be so necessary (placed under King Edwards seat) to the Coronation of the English Monarch especially when one considers that it was stolen from us in the first place by him and the Scottish State and nation are not represented in the present Sovereigns title and forms of Address.Perhaps that is why I wear a white cockade,who knows. That is also why Scots damaged the postboxes in 1953 because they had put on them that Queen Elizabeth was the second in Scotland when we have never had a Scottish Queen called Elizabeth. But there and here we are. As one wit once wisely said "lies,damn lies and politics".

The Law at Play
The Law at Play
by Tak

5.0 out of 5 stars Cognoscenti erratum legus or liars,politicians and Edinburgh lawyers, 17 Oct. 2007
This review is from: The Law at Play (Paperback)
Here in this little volume we have a delightful poke at the legal profession by one of their own,a most enjoyable and spine tickling read.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars England An Island-Ailsa Craig A Continent -I don't think so, 5 Oct. 2007
It is with an expression of great wonderment that I opened this book.Although not known as a great student of geography in my younger days I was convinced that Scotland's borders were marked in terms of rivers by the Tweed and the Solway. Now I presume we are equally cast adrift from the great bosom of English gratitude (if it ever existed) for the way that we gave them their industrial revolution through our inventions(too many to list here) and our highlanders in their armies whose blood was spilled and whose bodies lie in many a foreign field(again too many to list here) so that England would have the Empire she desired and mightily profited from.The word British could only have come from a Union with us( a non democratic union by the way) with riots in the streets when it was announced.The letters U.K could only have come with a Union with us since (1603 crown and Parliament 1707) it recognises Scotland as a Kingdom in its own right as EQUAL part of that UK. Even the great vaunted Bank of England itself was founded by a Scotsman.However that said (But and not enough said) this book is an excellent introduction to England before the Second World War but anybody who wants to roam further is welcome to visit my beloved Scotland and see quite a different place and she or he will not have to cross a swathe of ocean to do so since as far as I am aware it is still joined on to England this extremely mysterious isle.

Loch Ness
Loch Ness

3.0 out of 5 stars That Loch Ness Feeling (you hope something is going to turn up but...), 3 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Loch Ness (Audio CD)
Here at Loch Ness we are used to hearing requests of different kinds about the Loch Ness Monster presumably lurking in these peaty depths.People around here even get confused into calling Loch Ness " the biggest lake in Great Britain" which of course it cannot be since that is not how you spell loch. This album likewise is confusing since although one vaguely recognises the tunes played,they are played so fast as to be almost indistinguishable in terms of melody etc.Some are not like this but the patience gets a bit tired waiting for the odd sparkling triumph.

Angus Macintyre's Ceilidh Collection: Poems of Highland Life
Angus Macintyre's Ceilidh Collection: Poems of Highland Life
by Angus Macintyre

5.0 out of 5 stars THE TUNE WILL BE ALWAYS ARGYLL, 1 Oct. 2007
Fond memories bring the light of other days around me,the smiles ,the tears,the boyhood years, the words of love then spoken,and as I read this I drifted back in my thoughts and in my understanding down the long years to my own boyhood in Argyll and the cheerful hearts I knew aye and still know.Many of the places mentioned in the book I know intimately and well and I travelled on the Lochinvar myself to many an Island ceilidh of the real kind with good solid friends.Anyone who knows and loves the real Scotland and especially the west coast will love this little volume and laugh at the adventures and thoughts relayed here.Even if Mactavish himself from "the Vital Spark" was to manifest himself on Inverary pier and the wee puffer itself alongside he would be demanding the skipper get a copy o this chust dandy book for the engine room chust now only mind.

Twinkle Winkle: Man's Best Friend and Your Star Signs
Twinkle Winkle: Man's Best Friend and Your Star Signs
by Gray Jolliffe

1.0 out of 5 stars S. M.U.T OR SO MUCH UNDER TALENT, 30 Sept. 2007
The wise exercise of leisure time has never been more needful.Sadly,reading this is not it. As Shakespeare who was underhand enough and not averse to borrowing tales from elsewhere to turn them into something different to his own use ( an example would be his less than truthful Macbeth) pointed out once"... the fault is not in our stars but in ourselselves...".It is a pity that the authors and publishers too took so much time or trouble over this when pre publication with some dexttorus handling and much ripping it could have been the basis for a roaring peat fire flame to meditate over by the tired rambler or some other well deserving person.

The Complete Kama Sutra: The First Unabridged Modern Translation of the Classic Indian Text
by Alain Danielou

3.0 out of 5 stars Kama Sutra -the Song of Solomon,Choices and Chances, 27 Sept. 2007
The Kama Sutra is primarily a mechanics manual for human relationships.Press the right button at the right time and the right place and the "car starts."
Having been to India and lived there I have observed how the general culture subjugates women and how all power is reserved for the men and if you read this book inspired by Indian culture you will see how often it is the man who initates the kind of advances made to women in this book and there seems hardly any room for the woman's part in all this ( see page 255 for example)and maybe this reflects the high number of female babies in the poorer areas who are disposed of since they are regarded in these kind of quarters as being a drain on the family's resources or alternatively elsewhere as a possible source of wealth by arranging marriages for them often without their consent to the one who will provide the largest dowry for her hand. This and the above attitude is mirrored and is expressed in the so-called honour killings of young Indian women in Britain which can be read about in the annals of British crime statistics. Any loving couple could find and keep the excitement in their marriage by simply mutually aggreeing to try something which with integrity would keep their marriage vows intact and be perfectly satisfactory to both.Marriage of course is a compact before God and the generic man by which faith,and trust,hope and love,honour and obedience which characterised human beings before the Kama Sutra was ever written.And of course as an alternative strategy if one requires a strategy the Song of Solomon is an excellent read for a husband and wife together.As technique alone the Kama Sutra is possibly unsurpassed but does it take the place of real love,real faithfulness ,real commitment,no of course it does not.A rabbit has many burrows but we are not rabbits.
Golden Eagles (and though we are not Golden Eagles) in my beloved Scotland risk death by falling a thousand feet with their talons locked in each other's until when near the ground they seperate.Golden Eagles are lifetime partners unless one of them dies.Eagles are wise birds. A reading of the Kama Sutra and a reading of the Song of Solomon I would suggest might to the discerning reader make all the difference in the world.Of course if all you are after is instruction and some doubtful at best female psychology then read away and make your choice.You take your choice,you take your chances.

And Time Goes On
And Time Goes On

5.0 out of 5 stars Time and Tradition,Sheila Stewart,The Ballad Queen Among The Heather, 25 Sept. 2007
This review is from: And Time Goes On (Audio CD)
In and throughout this Album Sheila as always shows her nastery of the ballad tradition and there are few who can fill her footsteps.I have known Sheila for more years than I care to recall and she is a superlative singer and storyteller.Her voice is unusual and has to be listened to carefully but like a good wine the listening improves with age and you begin to realise you are in the presence of a master craftsperson.When Sheila sings you are transported to places in daylight where I would fear to go.There is something elemental about her singing that could almost set your hair on fire,and yet I have listened to her telling stories immediately afterwards that were so deliciously funny that several days later you could almost as it were come to yourself again and find yourself still laughing at them.Her grasp and awareness of the tradition is so strong and Ali Dall himself (her father) was a great storyteller in his day.My own late father told stories to me as a laddie that saved me from thinking that all men ( and especially Scotsmen and especially highlanders )were so wet as to "wander lonely as a cloud" all day and equally readily read the poems of Barbour and Burns and Walter Scott and sang songs to stir the blood and sinews and warm the heart and restore to me my own heritage instead of an imported ine.Full of Gaelic realism and Scottish bluntness they had no time for the pathetic fallacy and Sheila's singing shows the same fire and brilliance.Have a glass of whisky beside you as you listen to this album ,it might help to steady your nerves.

From The Heart Of The Tradition
From The Heart Of The Tradition

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheila Stewart,Flower of the West, 25 Sept. 2007
Sheila was singing when I first met her and the song she was singing was "Queen among the heather" which is featured on the album " From the heart of the tradition". Before my late friend Hamish Henderson came to know and love the Stewarts of Blair and collect the songs and stories of Scotland carefully and lovingly preserved by them,the traveller folk as they are now politely called,I as a wee laddie had fallen in love with a beautiful tinker/traveller lassie, my late and lovely Rachel.After we had played around the barraket (Cant,language of the Tinkers) or tent of the tinkers or had been coming back from hunting with Rachel for whelks or mussels to cook in a billy-can we would be shouted to come in and have a bite to eat and some tea and listen to stories and songs from the Williamson family of Argyll,Duncan Williamson,my late Rachel's brother now of course being a noted and world famous Storyteller of our Scottish traditional tales.My inner ear was tuned then to the tradition in story and song as at home we sang around the fire and when I saw and heard Sheila singing my first thought was that she was herself of the travelling people.Her voice is remarkable and has to be heard with the scent of old tales running in your mind.
She also sings Canterach which is the pibroch as sung and of course people often learnt the tunes that way for they often had no time or knew enough about musical notation to write it down so they would memorize it in song."In Praise of Ben Dorain" for instance ,a poem in Scottish gaelic by Duncan Ban Macintyre is a poem written in the pibroch idiom. Sheila as always pours her heart out in her singing and enthusiasm for the songs she sings.She is a delight to know, and a delight to listen to again and again and may I say again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 1, 2009 2:07 PM BST

Tae the Green Woods Gaen
Tae the Green Woods Gaen
Offered by Smaller World Future

5.0 out of 5 stars Jock Duncan -Authentic Voice of Scotland, 21 Sept. 2007
Jock Duncan, born and raised in Aberdeenshire and working on the farms there Jock being in a family that loves the songs of Scotland was listening and learning and singing the traditional balladry of Scotland from the earliest age.It is tae Jock and his like we owe the preservation and recording of the tunes and songs that feature here and are a natural part of the Ballad tradition in Scotland.Other collectors like Sir Walter Scott recorded the words but left out the tune from their books which is a tragic loss.I count myself lucky to know Jock and to have often heard him singing at Auchtermuchty and Kirriemuir Folk Festivals and other festivals throughout Scotland. This is a fine album and well represents his talents and is well worth buying.Lang may yer lum reek Jock.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7