Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Discover more Shop now
Profile for Anth.P > Reviews

Content by Anth.P

Anth.P "Anth" (North East, England)

Doctor Who: The Runaway Bride, 2006 Christmas Special  [DVD] [2005]
Doctor Who: The Runaway Bride, 2006 Christmas Special [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ David Tennant
Offered by Bridge_Records

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor value for money, 29 April 2007
Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the episode but the DVD as a whole is poor value. I'm a big fan of the vanilla releases as I'm not a huge admirer of extras on DVDs but this release was just a huge disappointment for me. One episode (albeit an hour long instead of the usual forty-five minutes) selling at the same price of a release with 3 is just daylight robbery and the addition of the DW Confidential Special is a poor substitute for further episodes. At least last year's Christmas Special had "New Earth" with it too.

On a slightly more positive note David Tennant was usual exceptional self, Catherine Tate wasn't the nightmare I was dreading and the Empress of the Racnoss was a truly impressive creation. But I'm sorry Amazon, until this one drops in price I won't be partaking of it, completist even though I am.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 14, 2012 6:08 PM GMT

Doctor Who - Series 3 Vol.1 [2007] [DVD] [2005]
Doctor Who - Series 3 Vol.1 [2007] [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ David Tennant
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars A Promising Start, 29 April 2007
WARNING: DOES CONTAIN SPOILERS

Ok, so the dvd isn't released at the time of writing but the 3 episodes contained have all aired on TV now so I feel fair able to comment seeing as this is a vanilla release with no extras as such. Those wanting extras will have to wait for the season boxset later on in the year, but personally I'm not a big fan of extras so the vanilla releases do me nicely.

Billie Piper's departure meant that filling the companion's shoes was always going to be a difficult task, but on early evidence Freema Agyemang has stepped up to the plate pretty well, and to an extent is an intellectual match for the Doctor. David Tennant is also back in fine form and has truly made the role his own, without being typecast as many of his predecessors have found in the past. As usual the production values are very high and the pride in which the team take in making the show is evident in every episode.

So on to the episodes themselves. "Smith and Jones" I don't rate too highly as the principle villain did nothing for me, but the Judoon were fantastic and I would relish seeing them again at some point. Initial banter between the Doctor and Martha set up for an interesting relationship and the Doctor's anixety at not wishing to betray the loss of Rose was wonderfully expressed though thankfully not overly dwelt on.

"The Shakespeare Code" I found far more impressive. The Carrionites were once again a great new species of villains, but more impressive was the interpretation of history used in the episode, for instance Martha being identified as Shakespeare's famous muse, the Dark Lady. Again the Doctor's pain at the loss of Rose is portrayed well and is setting up a nice thread that seems likely to run through the season as it clearly begins to rankle with Martha. Credit also to Dean Lennox Kelly, an actor I'm not entirely keen on for the most part, for a very respectable performance as the Bard himself. Only a shame we didn't get to see the Tardis' attic that the Doctor mentions!

Now Gridlock I really do have mixed feelings about. On the negative side I wasn't impressed with the pacing of the episode, many of the characters stuck in the eponymous gridlock felt uninspired and to an extent irrelevant and Martha was woefully underused. Positively speaking though it was nice to see a little more of New Earth, the return of the Macra was a lovely tip of the hat to the classic era and there was a genuine and palpable air of dystopia about the episode which was quite an achievement. The unique selling point, if you will, of this episode though was the return of the Face of Boe. Fantastic, fantastic, fantastic creation, I love him to bits and wish he could have been used more than in his brief cameos in "The End of the World", "The Long Game" and "New Earth". Fans have been waiting since "New Earth" to hear his much vaunted final secret and although the majority guessed it prior to transmission the revelation didn't disappoint. It sets up beautifully for the rest of the series and specualtion is rife as to it's consequences. Overall though this episode is the reason I pulled my score down from 5 stars to 4.

So there you have it, a promising start. The series is getting even better with "Daleks in Manhattan" and "Evolution of the Daleks" having already screened and in my humble opinion they were some of the finest episodes of the new era, but I'm getting ahead of myself and that's a review for another day.