Profile for BeautifulWorldinBooks > Reviews

Santok Universal Mobile Phone Dual Windscreen Holder
Santok Universal Mobile Phone Dual Windscreen Holder
Offered by Mobitz

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful little thing, 9 May 2012
Great to place an ipod and GPS/SatNav on at the same time.
The grip is fairly strong and easy to take off.
The bendy arms make it easy to position the devices as you want them and feel pretty strong.
The plastic holder can allow to fit many other devices so I've put my mobile/Blackberry into it too and holds it fine.
Still using it today so good and helpful little gadget!

Tim the Tiny Horse
Tim the Tiny Horse
by Harry Hill

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny and cute but short-lived, 9 May 2012
This review is from: Tim the Tiny Horse (Paperback)
Bought this as a gift for my partner and he absolutely loved it!
A few giggles but you could tell that this was obviously more targeted towards children.
It is a very simple story book, quick sketches and one sentence per page. You'll finish the whole book in 5 minutes and the story isn't particularly eventful. However, it's light, fun and great to read out loud to kids. The sad thing is that you probably won't read it again. So not a great investment but great book to borrow from a friend.

Tim the Tiny Horse at Large
Tim the Tiny Horse at Large
by Harry Hill

3.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious for kids and adults but short-lived!, 9 May 2012
Bought this as a gift for my partner and he absolutely loved it!

French (Lonely Planet Phrasebook)
French (Lonely Planet Phrasebook)
by Michael Janes

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but didn't really use it as much as I could, 9 May 2012
Some useful phrases here, great for beginners! Has all the phrases you need to get by whilst exploring France.
However, I didn't get to use it as much as I'd like as I ended up writing a list of my own phrases (from the internet) and carried that piece of paper around with me instead. :)

Manchester Street Atlas
Manchester Street Atlas

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and reliable as expected, 9 May 2012
Like all A-Z maps, this was incredibly useful whilst travelling around Manchester for the first time. A handy little book (miniature versions are available) to carry around in the backpack or in the car.
The labels are clear and up to date.
Useful index at back and a central close up of the city centre which is handy.
Great for tourists, travellers and locals!

Davina - Body Buff [DVD]
Davina - Body Buff [DVD]
Dvd ~ Davina McCall
Offered by Leisurezone

3.0 out of 5 stars Slight improvement from Super Fit, 24 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Davina - Body Buff [DVD] (DVD)
This DVD is better structured but still a bit weird with what the two major sections in Cardio and Box.
After the warm up, you're suppose to do the Cardio or Box (or both) and then choose more specific areas to work out on if you wish.
However, both the Boxing and Cardio are actually only 20 minutes and NOT 30 minutes. Instead, they insert a 5 minute abs section at the end which is a bit odd really because there is another abs section on its own in the DVD. But I guess it's handy if you want to tone your abs more and not too bothered about the Cardio part.

A good thing about this DVD is that it allows you to mix and match workouts to help tone and keep your heart rate at the same time.

The workout themselves are not that challenging for me, this is aimed at beginner and intermediate levels of fitness - I workout 3 times a week for 40 minutes and I did not break a sweat doing this DVD. So this wasn't for me! Most of the time I felt like I was just waving my arms and legs around. At some parts, I felt a bit out of breath but they let catch your breath back pretty quickly.

I am a size 12/14 and trying to trim down to a 10 but only the Jillian Michaels DVD's are working at the moment. My favourite Davina DVD is still her very first one Power of 3 which even today, still gets me into a sweat!

Would recommend for those new to working out at home and focusing on toning rather than building up strength or fat loss. A basic level of fitness is all you need. Some of the moves are a little complicated so some coordination is a must!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2011 9:27 PM GMT

Davina Fit [DVD]
Davina Fit [DVD]
Dvd ~ Davina McCall
Offered by Digizoneuk

3.0 out of 5 stars More of a dance workout, not an intense workout so ideal for beginners, 24 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Davina Fit [DVD] (DVD)
This is almost identical to Body Buff but a bit more Cardio.

Each section is about 10 to 20 minutes long (if you don't count the 10 mins warm up for EACH section). Like in Body Buff, it always ends in 10 minutes of abs work for EACH section. The workout themselves are beginner level and not intense at all, very low impact so good for those not used to working out much.

The warm up especially, requires a lot of coordination because the moves are quite complicated. They have on purposely made it more like a dance video because they are trying to make it more fun. However, because you're concentrating on getting your form right, you don't actually 'work out' unless you do the moves correctly. It did feel like I was just randomly waving my arms and legs around with little force.
The other workouts are just as complex but to a lesser extent. It would be no problem if you are a dancer and can pick up complicated moves quickly. Otherwise, you will have to sit it through and play it a few times to get the moves right (to avoid risk of injury).

I found this DVD not as I expected because a) you don't workout for very long at a constant level of intensity which is important for fat burning. b) There are too many long pauses and I found myself doing extra star jumps while they're chatting away in between exercises because my heart rate had gone down from waiting.

I got pretty bored by the time I got to the 2nd section (Top Fit) then watched it all the way through to see what was there:

Aerobics Fit - too short! 12 minutes with 10 minute ab section, moves are a bit random and doesn't flow well
Top Fit - 5 minutes warm up, 15 mins arms then 10 minute ab section
Bottom Fit - 3 mins warm up, 15 min bottoms, 8min abs
Kick Fit - 5 min warm up, 15 min kick, 10 min abs section
Yoga Stretch - 10 mins, this is the only thing on the DVD I enjoyed! Used for cool down.

Overall, quite disappointing for me, I like to work out for more than 20 minutes with a medium to high intensity workout. This is really for BEGINNERS. Those specifically with problems in their abdominal areas for toning that six-pack will like this DVD.

I still love her first 2 videos and Super Body for fat burning with some toning.

Successful Event Management: a Practical Handbook
Successful Event Management: a Practical Handbook
by Anton Shone

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful but a bit too lengthy, 23 Jan. 2011
This book basically tells you how to organise yourself and list in great detail the things you should consider when managing events.
In the end I didn't really use it as much as I'd like to as I'm very much a hands on person. I prefer to learn by example and just try out everything. This book is rather lengthy and not good if you want to get stuck in.
If you're studying in the area then I can see this being much better for that then for those already in the Events industry. It's a great guide to refer to though now and then.

Yoga Meltdown [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Yoga Meltdown [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by passionFlix UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners to Yoga - as intense as 30 day shred, 23 Jan. 2011
Ok - I have been doing workout DVD's for about 5 years now. Jillian Michaels is still one of my favourites.
In particular, her 30 day shred fits into my busy schedule and is at the right intensity for my high fitness level.
I run 7km 4 times a week usually but when the weather is bad - I throw on a DVD.

When I saw this DVD I was a bit sceptical. I did Pilates a few years back and found it very boring and didn't break a sweat - so probably just a bad instructor! When I tried this on Level 1 I wasn't expecting it to push me much and I did this in the morning in a half asleep state thinking this would be a nice stretch DVD.
OH WOW! I am sweating as much and as exhausted as if I did the 30 day shred! It is Intense! My muscles are shaking a little, the poses are challenging but not impossible (take your time to do them at your own pace - remember you're stretching, not trying to do as many reps). My muscles feel tired, my abs tight (there is a stretch where you bend back on your knees and boy - I felt it on my abs!) and my arms are tired.
This is my first attempt! I will update in a few weeks time to let you know the results.
I am going to try doing it once a week until I get better at the moves alongside my running. Then slowly replace my runs with this and go onto level 2.
So far - I love it, it's fun and challenging!

The Practice of English Language Teaching (3rd Edition) (Longman Handbooks for Language Teachers)
by Jeremy Harmer

3.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and insightful, 3 Oct. 2010
As part of my CELTA course, this book was recommended.
This is a useful reference book to learn the background to language teaching, some key concepts and explores ideas of language teaching. It doesn't recommend as much as mention what methods are used. It is a quite an objective and informative book and does cover a comprehensive set of topic areas in teaching.
I have found that a lot of the teaching training classes have lessons taken out from this book so definitely worth it for the course! However, it is a little hard to read and you are often trying to read between the lines. I do often find myself asking questions after reading it so things are not as clear as they could be as to which method is generally considered 'better'. This is can be a good thing as it invites the reader to make their own judgements. The author of the book actually teaches at the school I am being trained at. He is a well respected ESL expert and active in the practice.
Though in just my opinion, a lot of what he says could be cut down to a mere few sentences. The book is very long and heavy to carry around. If I were to re-write I would cut out a lot of the author's commentary and side/background information which isn't particularly useful and place them in an appendix (perhaps as a separate booklet) as when you're looking for specific information, there's an awful lot of scanning involved.
I favour Learning Teaching by Jim Scrivener which is written much simpler, easy to follow and is more 'modern'. Plus you can go in and out of the book fairly easily.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4