Profile for N. M. Buckley > Reviews

Content by N. M. Buckley

N. M. Buckley "dirtychurch" (UK)

Tiny Acts of Rebellion: 97 Almost-Legal Ways to Stick it to the Man
Tiny Acts of Rebellion: 97 Almost-Legal Ways to Stick it to the Man
by Rich Fulcher

5.0 out of 5 stars Pellets of Laughter, 8 Jan. 2010
Never before has my en suite bathroom been filled with so many pellets of laughter! This book is so funny it made me laugh aloud when I was alone...y'know, laughing when you're not trying to prove to someone else that you have a sense of humour.

Rich Fulcher should be Knighted...or burned at the stake? I can't decide which, either way he'll love it, the kinky b!!ch.

If you've already got your first class ticket on the pendoleno to hell then you should sin with gusto and use this book as your guide.

Highlights include: #64, #3, #76, #47 and illustrations by Mr Bingo

Be Your Own Pet
Be Your Own Pet
Offered by TwoRedSevens

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm?, 9 Jun. 2006
This review is from: Be Your Own Pet (Audio CD)
I bought this album on the strength of "Adventure", having been over-come by it's catchiness and fun.

Adventure is the black sheep of this album, being the only song that seems to have a clear structure and a worked out melody. But, that's not necessarily a bad thing, more that it's clearly a "vehicle song" enabling them to have a crack at the mainstream.

It would be a good idea for BYOP to spend a little more time on the "substance" of their song writing, as it's clear that they are capable and enjoy it. But, is it possible to focus such ferocious energy and make something positive without spilting up the band and having them hate each others guts?

I'm interested in seeing what lies ahead.

Nice And Nicely Done
Nice And Nicely Done
Offered by Super Duper

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh Spinto!, 9 Jun. 2006
This review is from: Nice And Nicely Done (Audio CD)
This has been pretty much my staple listen for the past two months and I'm yet to get sick of it. It would be hard for me to talk about this album and not mention the similarities in sound to Pavement, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah and The Wannadies, so I will mention it. Not so off-kliter as Pavement, the vocals are very similar to those of Alec Ounsworth and the songs have the touching summer-breezed sentiment that The Wannadies are very good at. I really rate a band who are able compose really strong melodies without being too obvious.

I suppose the sound fits in somewhere between catchy pop and indie (tho "indie" is fast becoming the vaguest genre!) It's really hard to get the songs out of your noggin, once they are firmly set, but as I say this only makes me want to listen to the album all the more. This is definately one band I'll be making the effort to watch at Reading.

My favourite tracks are "Late" and "Trust vs Mis-Trust"

Nice and Nicely Done, is indeed, just that and I have no quarms about giving it a grand old 5/5!

Sideways [DVD] [2004]
Sideways [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Paul Giamatti
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 2 Feb. 2006
This review is from: Sideways [DVD] [2004] (DVD)
My pre-determind idea of this film was that it was going to be another one of those "Road Trip" movies...and it is but, also far much more.
The storyline is simple enough, but is distorted by the simmering rage and crudeness given by the two main characters. Both being completely selfish, concerning themselves only with languishing in self-loathing and egotism while at the same time able to arouse simpathy and understanding from the audiance.
There are some really funny moments and there are also some touchingly-uncomfortable moments which, at the same time are also hillariously funny.
The backdrop is beautiful and the direction and cinematography are close to perfection.
Amazing performance by Paul Giamatti, as always.

Talkie Walkie
Talkie Walkie
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes., 12 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Talkie Walkie (Audio CD)
This album is something I have been waiting for since the release of Moon Safari.
Although their second album "10,000 Hz Legend" seemed to spell out a completely different future for the band, making them seem more "prog-rock", Talkie Walkie seems to have made everyone happier.
I think it's a fantasic combination of the amazing "Moon Safari" and the best bits of "10,000 Hz Legend."
My only problem with Air is that they just didn't make this album long enough.
My recommend tracks would have to be "Venus", "Run" and "Another Day."
Don't expect it to be the same as Moon Safari - c'mon, did you really think that would be possible - a second time around?

Marabou Stork Nightmares
Marabou Stork Nightmares
by Irvine Welsh

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear!, 21 Jan. 2004
This is the second Irvine Welsh book I read and is by far my favourite. The subject matter is not only disturbing and vile, but the pictures painted in the surreal quest for the Marabou Stork are some of the most vivid imaginary I have come across.
Flitting from semi-conscious dream world to semi-conscious reality, the main character is one you will sympathise with and despise for having ever existed.
I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone who hasn't read Irvine Welsh before. He can be hard to deal with, as his use of vernacular and twisted (by this I mean depraved!)story lines can be a tad nauseating. So if this is your first time, let The Acid House or Trainspotting ease you in.

Static And Silence
Static And Silence
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should have this album...., 14 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Static And Silence (Audio CD)
I have been listening to The Sundays for more years then I care to remember. I was introduced to them by a friend I used to know. Sadly I don't see them any more, but if I did, each time we met I would shake them by the hand and thank them for this gift.
It's been reffered to me as "Girls Music" and "Empty Pop", but I don't care! To build a picture of the contrast in my musical tastes I own albums from Luther Van Dross(yes, I know) to the Yeah yeah yeahs. The Sundays aren't my favorite band, but it is close.
I have all of the albums, but this one is my favourite (it flits between RW&A and this one, but only for a very short time!). There isn't a song on the album which isn't beautifully written, played and sang. Two of my favourites would be "Homeward" and "I Can't wait". The melody and lyrics seem to compliment each other in a typically english way, which would rival strawberries and cream. There is no otherway to describe it other then beautiful. It wont kick your a$$, but it will make you have that feeling of innocence, sunshine and roses.

A Local Book for Local People
A Local Book for Local People
by The League Of Gentlemen

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than a lucky rabbits foot, 2 July 2001
Very funny and well put together. You can enjoy the characters from Royston Vasey in your own time now.
A must for all League Fans!!