Profile for Raslok > Reviews

Resident Evil: Retribution (DVD) [2012]
Dvd ~ Milla Jovovich
Offered by Direct-Offers-UK-FBA

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst of the Resident Evil films, 22 Jan. 2013
I've really enjoyed the previous Resident Evil films and I had been really looking forward to wathcing this one. Unfortunately this is one of the worst films I have seen in a long time.

The film has barely any plot, the acting for the most part is wooden, the dialogue only serves to compound this further, there are numerous predicatable moments and many pointless scenes. Worst is that this film does very little to develop the story until the last 5 minutes.

From the way the film plays out I am guessing it was meant to be more of a nod to the computer games (not sure as I haven't played any in years) but it really didn't help the film for me. Also I am fairly sure a lot of the sequences in the film are only there to try and show off the 3D capabilities. Again I'm not sure as I didn't watch the 3D version but there were a few times where the camera suddenly panned out for the sole purpose of showing an object flying towards the screen.

So the film itself:

After an initial flashback to the ending of the previous film, you spend the next 10-15 minutes wondering what the hell is actually going on.
We are then treated to short sequence to explain what the overall plot is but then its pretty much just action scene after action scene.

Doesn't sound too bad?

Well unfortunately almost all the action consists of a shot of our 'heroes' standing stock still firing their guns followed by a shot of what happens when a bullet hits something. Rinse and repeat this several times for the next hour and you have the bulk of the movie. It really is some of the least entertaining action I have ever seen.

We have a final fight scene, which for once doesn't just feature people standing still and firing a gun, and then its on to the final 5 minutes. This is probably the only part that starts to move the story forward but then the film ends.

Even if your the biggest fan of the series I just cannot recommend this film. If you want to know what happens you would do far better to just watch 2 clips on you tube. The 5 minutes near the start explaining the plot of this film and the 5 minutes at the end. The rest really is just badly made drivel.

The Phoenix Conspiracy (The Phoenix Conspiracy Series Book 1)
The Phoenix Conspiracy (The Phoenix Conspiracy Series Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 10 May 2012
I downloaded this due to all good reviews it has received. Unfortunately I find myself having to disagree with most of them.

I would not go so far as to say that this book is badly written but unfortunately I cannot say it is well written either. It certainly reads as if this is the authors first attempt at a novel. Its almost child like in places.

The story itself is not that bad and I do like the overall plot. There were however several places where I nearly gave up reading. Princesses, werewolves and vampires were not really something I was hoping to encounter in this type of novel. Maybe that's just me though.

Other problems? The princess being the most beautiful woman in the universe, Summers being the most beautiful woman in the universe, the threat the most deadly and dangerous in the universe (you get the idea). The tech is somewhat unimaginative as well. We've got the force fields and particle beams but then also missiles, sub machine guns and lead bullets? Seems an oppurtunity missed.

The book was free so I don't want to be too harsh on it and it did help pass the time on a boring commute. If I had paid for it though I would be annoyed with myself for having wasted my money.

Mass Effect 3 (Xbox 360)
Mass Effect 3 (Xbox 360)
Offered by Excess Gaming

3.0 out of 5 stars Utter brilliance until the last 10 minutes, 21 Mar. 2012
Lets face it, if you've played Mass Effect 1 and 2 you are almost certainly going to buy this game regardless of what any reviewer says. The first 2 games may have had their faults but overall they were quite simply brilliant.

So for those of you who enjoyed the first 2, I am happy to report that for 99% of the game, the 3rd installment is just as good if not even better.

The combat has been improved once again, there are more rpg elements brought back from the first game, weapon and armour choices have been expanded and the skill tree's updated.

You also really get to see the effects of some of your choices from the previous games. There's a real sense that what you did or didn't do in the first 2 games has had a big impact on how things are playing out. Seeing the consequences of those decisions is a real plus point of this game. It made me want to play through the first 2 games again and go down a different path to see what affect it would have. Those decisions will either help or hinder you in your mission to build up your military strength to take on the Reapers.

As you play through the game you can literally save or destroy entire civilisations and species. The fact that you can really influence which way the story goes has always been a big plus point for me with Mass Effect.

So for almost all of this game its exactly what you were hoping for. The story continuing and getting ever closer to its climax. Unfortunately, right as you are on the cusp of that climax, the elephant enters the room.

I will try to avoid putting any major spoilers on here though I will try to explain what I think went "wrong".

In the last 10 minutes of the game you will experience the following problems:

- Big plot holes develop that contradict previous events or simply don't
make sense.
- Certain characters act completely out of character.
- The promise of endings based on your previous actions is non existent.

Its difficult to explain fully without talking about specific events. However my personal opinion is that the ending felt like it was a rush job tacked on at the end without being fully thought out.

I wasn't looking for a happy or sad ending. I was looking for one where it felt like the choices I had made mattered and that in the end, what I had done influenced the outcome of the game. Up until 10 minutes before the end it feels like everything you are doing and have done is going to matter. After those 10 minutes however, you are probably going to be left wondering if its ever worth playing the game again.

The Well of Ascension: Mistborn Book Two: 2
The Well of Ascension: Mistborn Book Two: 2
by Brandon Sanderson

3.0 out of 5 stars Did not meet expectations, 15 July 2011
After having read and thoroughly enjoyed the first book, I had high hopes for the sequel. Unfortunately it turned out to be very disappointing.

For the frist 450 pages or so I found myself skimming through a lot of the book. There is a lot of repetition explaining how Alomancy and Feruchemy works which readers of the first book will find tedious. I understand the need for a slight refresher but this goes far beyond that. There is also a lot of references to characters thinking back to events that happened in the first book and how they felt about it. Whilst I'm guessing this is supposed to be some sort of character development, it mostly just retells things that you already know. And that brings me on to probably the worst thing about this book, the attempt at character development. A LOT of the book simply talks about how the characters are feeling aboout certain things. And then tells you again, and again , and again. Its good to develop the characters but there is so much talk of what is going on in their heads that not much else really happens in terms of story.

Honestly this book could easily have been 300 pages shorter and would have been far better for it.

Good points? There are some interesting twists in the plot and story. You also get to find out more about the Koloss and Kandra. The last 100 pages of the book are far better paced and much more enjoyable.

If you enjoyed the first book I would still say to read this one, just don't expect to much from it. I'll still be getting the last book as I think overall its a good story.

The Eye Of The World: Book 1 of the Wheel of Time: 1/12
The Eye Of The World: Book 1 of the Wheel of Time: 1/12
by Robert Jordan
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems harsh to give it only 3 stars but..., 7 Aug. 2008
I've got mixed opinions about this book.

It's well written, got good characters, good plot / story and has obviously been well thought out. I enjoyed reading the majority of it and would recommend it to any fan of the genre. It's one of the better books i've read of this type for a while. In fact when I was getting near to the end of the book I was worried i'd finish it and want more so went out and bought the second book in the series (which I haven't read yet).
One of the things I like most is that when you read it, you feel like there's a real history behind the story. You can imagine other books telling of events before this as there are many references to times past and legends of old. You always get a taste of what was that leaves you wanting more.

So why only the 3 stars?

Well for a start it has taken a bit too much from Lord of the Rings. Many books of this type will have something similar to ogres, orcs, trolls, elves, wizards, etc, which I actually usually like. But this takes it further than that. The completely out of the way village where our heroes start out from, the "wizard" (for lack of a better word) who visits, the fact that they suddenly have to leave, the dark riders chasing said farmers, the dark one employing all manner of beasts as spies to track them, the race to reach the ferry to cross the river to mention a few.

Secondly there are several times when you end up skimming pages. Whilst its nice to have a good description of the surroundings, it does at times seem to go on a bit too much to the point of breaking up the story. This is probably more of a personal thing as i'm sure some readers will like it, but for me it did seem to bring the book down a bit.

Thirdly the action / fight scenes are not the best i've read. Don't get me wrong on this, the idea behind them, the setting and the build up is always great and if you can fill in the blanks you'll be loving it. But they always seem to be over too quickly or seem to jump ahead of themselves. There is just something missing.

Despite all this I still would have given this book 4 maybe even 5 stars, but then comes the ending.

Don't worry, I won't ruin it for anyone by saying what happens. It's just that after such a long but enjoyable build up, after everything that gets thrown in, all the twists and turns, it just seems like the writer got fed up of writing, abandoned the imaginative thought and crammed everything into 2 pages. After enjoying so much of the book, i'm now not sure if i want to read the second.

To be honest it is a good book. Just don't be suprised if your left wanting more for all the wrong reasons by the end of it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 16, 2011 2:21 AM BST