Profile for Tim MB > Reviews

Tim MB (London, UK)

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running
What I Talk About When I Talk About Running
by Haruki Murakami

2.0 out of 5 stars I like running and I like Murakami but this book was truly a chore, 17 Mar. 2010
I was really excited by this book as I'd read a couple of Murakami books and thoroughly enjoyed them. I'd heard someone speaking of this book as finally capturing the moment of zen that is running.

Perhaps it does, but if so it is within a few tucked away sentences. The idea that the thrill of running could be communicated by over a hundred pages of monotonic, drab descriptions of yet another marathon is just depressing - surely there's so much more to it? There certainly is to Murakami.

I think this book had a lot of potential. Occasionally it turns autobiographical which provides us with a slight relief and you learn a fair bit about running. Ultimately, however, there is only enough content for a chapter of a book.

SHURE EA650 Volume Controller for Shure SE series earphones, Shure E4, E5, E500 earphones

3.0 out of 5 stars Given the price and brand I expected better quality, 25 Feb. 2009
I got this to reduce the amount of noise coming out of the headphone socket on (similarly poor quality given the price) MacBook Pro. Out of the three in-line volume controls available on Amazon I went with this one - over twice the price of its competitor - because I knew the brand and wanted something of good quality.

The sound quality is fine but as the volume gets close to zero (as it generally is given my purpose for it) it mixes the channels giving a mono signal.

Cosmic Trigger: Final Secret of the Illuminati: Vol. 1: v. 1
Cosmic Trigger: Final Secret of the Illuminati: Vol. 1: v. 1
by Robert Anton Wilson

2.0 out of 5 stars Very different from his later works, 6 Feb. 2006
I read this book after thoroughly enjoying Quantum Psychology by RA Wilson. I have to say I didn't enjoy this nearly book as much. It seems quite repetitive, his writing style is less mature and he has an obsession with immortality which I personally find quite boring. He seems to hammer points in by representing them in as many abstract ways as he can but doesn't actually go into detail about the road to achieving them.
I think if you didn't enjoy this book then go and read Quantum Psychology, which gives more immediate gratification in showing everyday issues in a new light. I'm glad I read that first so as not to be put off Wilson.
I'm only 19 though and perhaps if you are older the idioms of the 70s and life extension will be more appealing and you will enjoy this more.