Profile for TJ Dixon > Reviews

Christmas Mead by Lyme Bay 75cl Bottle
Christmas Mead by Lyme Bay 75cl Bottle
Offered by UK ONLINE

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sweet Wine, 19 Oct. 2015
I first tried this mead at a camra beer festival never having had mead before. It has a very distinctive taste and was described as 'christmas pudding in a glass' which I actually agree with. It is very sweet and tastes of christmas spices so if you don't like sweet wines or christmas spices you probably won't like this but if you do then you probably will. I love it but it is probably one of those things you either love or hate.

Ludlow Nut Honey Roasted Cashew Nuts 1 kg
Ludlow Nut Honey Roasted Cashew Nuts 1 kg

5.0 out of 5 stars No Added Salt!, 19 Oct. 2015
So many honey roast nuts now sold in shops have added salt but these are made the more traditional way without any salt listed in the ingredients and actually taste sweet rather than salty. Of course they may be too sweet for some but I like honey roast nuts to be sweet and find it really annoying when salt has been added. They were surprisingly soft, which could be seen as either good or bad. I did consider giving this a lower rating mainly because of the high price but I knew the price when I bought it and you know it too so I decided to base my rating purely on the product and not value for money. I probably will look for a cheaper option for the future but I am not disappointed with my purchase.

UQ Holder! Vol. 4
UQ Holder! Vol. 4

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique and Exciting Manga Series, 20 May 2015
This review is from: UQ Holder! Vol. 4 (Kindle Edition)
I still prefer Negima and I wasn't sure at first with this series but I am a huge fan of Ken Akamatsu so I stuck the series out and I'm glad I did. This is really more of a series review than a review of this volume but despite my initial reservations Ken Akamatsu has created an interesting changed world and a unique new main character for the sequel to Negima. I wasn't originally sure whether I liked the main character but having gotten this far he has definitely grown on me. This series although slow in the first volume or so, has quickly picked up pace and by the end of this volume I find myself seriously wishing that volume 5 was already out. If you liked the scale, the magic, the fighting and the exciting plot of Negima you are sure to like this. The fan service is a lot more limited and a lot less diverse (off the top of my head I can only think of 2-3 female characters with fan service so far), but this is probably largely due to increased censorship both in Japan and the world as a whole since Negima was created.

Inspiration of Life: Poetry
Inspiration of Life: Poetry
by brian kingsford

5.0 out of 5 stars ... is clearly heartfelt and definitely worth reading if you enjoy poetry., 5 Mar. 2015
I don't often read poetry but this is clearly heartfelt and definitely worth reading if you enjoy poetry.

ACK-40702 Wacom Soft Case Sleeve for Cintiq 13/Companion - Black
ACK-40702 Wacom Soft Case Sleeve for Cintiq 13/Companion - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 Feb. 2015
Well made and worth having given the cost of the Cintiq itself

Manga Studio 5 EX (PC/Mac)
Manga Studio 5 EX (PC/Mac)

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars, 25 Feb. 2015
This is a huge improvement over Manga Studio 4 EX, which was a real disappointment. I'd recommend this to anyone considering drawing/writing manga on a computer, especially if you have a graphical tablet or touch screen that you can draw on with a pen.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2015 5:42 PM BST

Wacom Cintiq 13 HD Interactive Pen Display, English Language Version - Black
Wacom Cintiq 13 HD Interactive Pen Display, English Language Version - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Four and a half stars, 23 Feb. 2015
This device is very well made and a very effective tool for experienced or aspiring artists. Using a mouse simply isn't the same as using a pen and I believe this device captures the full range of options available when using a pen/pencil etc. I personally consider the smaller size of this model to be an advantage, but obviously it does depend on what you are using it for and on your personal preference. The smaller price tag on this compared to the larger models is also a huge advantage.

So why not 5 stars? Firstly as a supporter of digital rights I consider the restriction on the user license that allows this device to only be used (at least legally) on one computer to be unnecessary and inappropriate. If a restriction is necessary it should at least allow it to be used on two or three computers. Secondly I prefer to be able to just plug a device in and install any necessary software and for it to simply work. This device needs to be calibrated which can affect the performance if not done correctly. Ok, this is just pressing the pen against four exact points on the screen so it isn't exactly difficult but the way you hold the pen can affect the outcome so you need to make sure to hold it the same way you will be holding it when you use the device. Depending on what you are doing you will not always be holding the pen exactly the same way either so you do lose a bit of accuracy. That said it is still the best device I have ever used for drawing and doing artwork on a computer.

Negima! Omnibus Vol. 2
Negima! Omnibus Vol. 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as I remembered, 31 Aug. 2014
I was rereading this on my kindle whilst on holiday and enjoyed it just as much as the first time around. This gets into to the story quicker than I remembered and I did notice things I missed previously. It is both funny and exciting. If you haven't read this series yet and enjoy comedy/romance/magic then I highly recommend it. Even if you have the paper copy there is a lot to be said for the advantages of the kindle version, such as portability and being able to see the edge of the page easier where the spine would be. My only complaint is that you can't read it on other e-readers (or at least I couldn't). I was hoping to read this on a larger e-reader I own.

Into The Abyss (Demons of Astlan Book 1)
Into The Abyss (Demons of Astlan Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 31 Aug. 2014
The author's writing style is very effective. I took this on holiday and expected it to last the whole holiday due to its length, but finished it rather early in the holiday because it is such an enjoyable and addictive read. I don't want to spoil the plot so I'm not going to say too much, but it does have a very interesting take on demons. Well worth reading.

Negima! Omnibus Vol. 1
Negima! Omnibus Vol. 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Manga Series Ever Written, 27 July 2014
I bought the individual books in print as they came out and always found myself very eagerly waiting the next one. This is the best manga series I have ever read and one that got me very much into manga and anime. I decided to buy the kindle version, because it is alway a pain to take manga with you anywhere (it fills your suitcase way too quickly!). If you enjoy this series there are also other offshoots including anime, as well as a follow up series by Ken Akamatsu set significantly later than this one (I haven't read it) and a less serious alternative version called "Negima? Neo" (its fun but not as good as this one in my opinion, still worth reading though).

If you enjoy magic fantasy and school comedy romance I would 100% recommend this series without reservation. As the series progresses it gets more and more exciting and interesting, with fan service, humour and awesome battles throughout. The drawing style is great in every respect. Even better the series has a good length and is 100% available in english (I don't think the last omnibus is out yet, but the individual books are still available), so you can enjoy it for even longer and it has a great conclusion. Don't you just hate it when you find a series with a great start, but it ends after just a few books without a proper conclusion, or at least the english language version does?! I cannot find fault with this series. Ten stars out of five :)

Page: 1 | 2