Profile for Bard Groupie > Reviews

Among Others
Among Others
by Jo Walton

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book above all expectation, 14 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Among Others (Paperback)
Loved this book above all expectation. Wonderful protagonist and gives the reader uneducated in Scifi (ie me) a list of books to investigate and enjoy.

Owned and Owner
Owned and Owner

5.0 out of 5 stars stunning, 22 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Owned and Owner (Kindle Edition)
Story of a girl from a society where there are only women who makes an extraordinary decision to take a leap into the unknown in search of a life of submission to a male owner on another planet. Her new owner is possessive and controlling beyond anything she imagined. Intense and superior to most books in this genre. Quite severe bdsm.

Comfort Food
Comfort Food

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary book, 18 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Comfort Food (Kindle Edition)
Other reviews have said it all. This is an astonishing book - some of it not easy to read or to forget.

Mercy
Mercy

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing - be aware of strong BDSM element, 18 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Mercy (Kindle Edition)
I recommend this author highly,well written BDSM without the 'ick' factor- but not for the fainthearted. Classier than the usual poorly written churned out so-called erotica. If you like this try 'Comfort Object' by the same author or the extraordinary 'Comfort Food' by Kitty Thomas.

The Highest Tide
The Highest Tide
by Jim Lynch

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're down and troubled-read this book, 11 Dec. 2009
This review is from: The Highest Tide (Paperback)
A beautiful,beautiful,funny,sad,life-enhancing book. I was unable to put it down and was left with feelings of tranquil joy and a renewed sense of the wonder of the natural world and of books.

James Taylor
James Taylor
Offered by dutchtoni

5.0 out of 5 stars A unique and beautiful album, 1 Aug. 2008
This review is from: James Taylor (Audio CD)
This one took me by surprise! I've been a fan of James Taylor since the release of 'Sweet Baby James' but I had never heard this album until I found it on Amazon and decided I must have it.I suppose I thought "how good can it be?" because it was 'Sweet Baby James' that shot him to fame two years after he recorded this.(and I've never seen a copy of this CD in a record shop but they usually have SBJ).So imagine my joy when I heard this for the first time and discovered just how good it is. It is a stunner. I can't understand how I've lived all these years without it.(Of course I was only 11 when it was released and lived in a tiny village and had miniscule pocket money.So perhaps I can be forgiven for my ignorance). At first I was taken aback by the production and the little instrumental passages linking the songs together. It was disconcerting to hear this version of a familiar song like 'Carolina in my Mind' at first-the tempo and the strings came as a shock.I wasn't sure what I thought about it but the other songs captivated me completely.It is magical,here is 'something rich and strange'. It quickly became one of my most listened to albums and now I would say that this is my favourite version of 'Carolina' which had never been one of my favourite JT songs.The whole album has a unique,beautiful feel to it. The lyrics are never less than interesting,they are often beautiful and are,clearly,very personal. My favourite songs at time of writing are 'Sunshine,Sunshine',the simple acoustic 'Something in the Way She Moves','Brighten Your Night with My Day', 'Rainy Day Man' has always been a favourite song of mine-but this is the best version, the traditional song 'Circle Around the Sun' is gorgeous but best of all is the haunting 'The Blues is Just a Bad Dream'.However, ask me tomorrow and the answer might be different because all the songs are worth listening to over and over again,they have depth.Listen to them and then reflect on the fact that the artist was only 20 at the time. It is an extraordinary album and deserves to be as well-known and well-loved as 'Sweet Baby James' or 'Mud Slide Slim'.

The Closer: The Complete First Season [DVD]
The Closer: The Complete First Season [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kyra Sedgwick

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect casting, 13 July 2008
This show is fantastically entertaining. There are two main reasons for this - both the ensemble cast and the writing are great.The actors deliver the delightfully snappy dialogue in a way which must bring joy to the scriptwriters and makes the most of the quirky situations. The development of a disfunctional group of colleagues into a close and effective team is both believable and fun. OK the desire of the criminals of LA to spill the beans at the drop of a hat seems unlikely but then not all criminals are criminal masterminds and Deputy Chief Johnson must come as a surprise to them. The actors are all great but the two most cynical members of the squad are my favourites- I just can't decide whether I love Lt Flynn or Lt Prevenza more. They are a great double-act.

Shakespeare Retold [2005] [DVD]
Shakespeare Retold [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nick Malinowski
Offered by westworld-

4.0 out of 5 stars Shirley Henderson is a National Treasure, 18 Aug. 2007
I was dubious about this concept but the DVD would be worth buying for "The Taming of the Shrew" on its own. Everything about it is a delight. Credit is due to all concerned but whoever came up with the casting is a genius.
Shirley Henderson and Rufus Sewell are a joy to watch!

One Fine Day In The Middle Of The Night
One Fine Day In The Middle Of The Night
by Christopher Brookmyre

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure joy, 20 Feb. 2005
Brookmyre on top form.It's hard to pick just one Brookmyre to recommend.I have enjoyed all his books and enjoy re-reading them.
For anyone born or raised in Scotland the wonderful use of the language,the humour, the rants and the understanding of the Scottish psyche ring wild bells of recognition.
This one has it all in spades.
The school reunion from hell.
It's all here - memories,angst,jealousy,
one-upmanship,jokes,regrets,revelations,snogging and semi-automatic weapons.
Other favourites are :
1.'Country of the Blind'-takes Scottish politicians of a certain hue apart with verve while providing a fascinating crime thriller complete with a chase through the Highlands a la John Buchan(well JB with attitude and an evil sense of humour).
2.'Not the End of The World'- another exciting thriller provides the platform for a wonderful,funny,scathing attack on religious hypocracy.
But for sheer,exhilarating enjoyment "One Fine Day in The Middle of the Night" is hard to beat.

Page: 1 | 2