Profile for Charlie&Molly > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
That Summer in Ischia
That Summer in Ischia

5.0 out of 5 stars A quick read, very enjoyable, 8 May 2012
I whizzed through this book, I was captured by the tales of the two girls and although I bought this book because it was set in Italy the fact that it didn't remain there didn't bother me because the pace was quick and it was a real page turner. It was slightly predictable in parts but there was enough held back to maintain interest. A great book for by the pool or on the beach.

The Star Of The Sea (Vintage 21st Anniv Editions)
The Star Of The Sea (Vintage 21st Anniv Editions)

3.0 out of 5 stars A little plodding until half way through, 7 May 2012
It wasn't the easiest book to get into, I know some have criticised his style as being difficult to tune into, you certainly need a quiet place and time to tune into his narrative but I didn't find it difficult to get into his style of telling a story. I did find it difficult to get interested in the characters inititally, my interest being sustained by the conditions and research that has obviously gone into the Irish famine and the time period surrounding it. It was only after halfway that I started to care about what happened to some of the people in the story. Good research, interesting era, food for thought, making me think about the plight of the starving of Ireland and the era but the characterisation was lacking for me.

Shelly Also Known As Shirley
Shelly Also Known As Shirley
by Shelley Winters
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun, 4 May 2012
I picked this up out of curiosity, expecting the average Hollywood biography with details about the movies they made and some of the people they knew. Shelley had a life that made the movies seem dull. She was wined and dined by Errol Flynn, Marlon Brando, Burt Lancaster, Willian Holden, she married Italy's biggest star Vittorio Gassman. She's an excellent raconteur, 2 times Oscar winner and once shared a flat with Marilyn Monroe. A book that will be revisited more than once.

The London of Jack the Ripper: Then and Now
The London of Jack the Ripper: Then and Now

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing look at Jack the Ripper's London although a couple of the pictures aren't for the faint hearted., 4 May 2012
I loved this book, I bought the kindle edition and didn't come across any errors unlike the previous reviewer. The presentation of this volume is concise and informative with lots of locations shown not just the murder sights themselves. The period photos themselves are particularly effective and the book would be of interest to anyone who is interested life in Victorian times. One photo I felt was really eerie and that was the picture of Miller's Court from the outside taken on the morning of Marie Kelly's murder. I would exercise caution to those of a sqeamish nature, as a couple of photos one of Catherine Eddowes and one the crime scene photo of the mutilated Marie Kelly really aren't for the fainthearted showing as the do the injuries inflicted at the hands of the Ripper. For those who are fimiliar with the Ripper this doesn't need saying my caution is for those approaching this book for the people who might be viewing this for the locations. It's a investigative work of the highest calibre and was thoroughly enjoyed by this reader.

The Mammoth Book of Jack the Ripper (Mammoth Books)
The Mammoth Book of Jack the Ripper (Mammoth Books)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not my usual reading material but nevertheless I was engrossed in the book, 3 May 2012
I bought this on a whim, it was deal of the day a couple of weeks back. I was fimiliar with the story of the murders to know it's an unsolved who dunnit with a lot of potential rippers in the frame. This book brings together the prime suspects, motives, evidence and likelihood for each case. I was convinced by at least three of the suspects and by three seperate authors. A lack of pictures has made me give the book only 4 stars, if pictures were included I would boost it up to a 5 star. There is a book called The London of Jack The Ripper Then and Now by Robert Clark and Phillip Hutchinson which is affordable and is an ideal companion to this book. My last thought is on the various authors who contribute the chapters in support of their suspects, some seem to have a camaraderie others seem to be daggers drawn bent on disproving or junking the theories of others, it all adds extra spice to the book.

Sparrow's Revenge: A Novel of Postwar Tuscany (A Tuscan Trilogy)
Sparrow's Revenge: A Novel of Postwar Tuscany (A Tuscan Trilogy)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great sequel to The Cielo, 29 April 2012
I loved Salsini's first book about the Italian partisans and citizens during the days of the battle for Tuscany, this takes up the story eleven years later when Sparrow the partisan, haunted by what happened at St Anna Stazzema wants to take revenge against the Italian who led the Germans there. It is a worthy follow up to The Cielo, if you liked that book, this one is for you too.

Miracle at St. Anna
Miracle at St. Anna

3.0 out of 5 stars A reasonable story that gets a little lost, 29 April 2012
I read this wanting to know more about what happened at St Anna Stazzema, this isn't the book but it does weave a reasonable story around the event but like a previous reviewer I thought it got lost in the middle. I'm not a reader of stories about battles and making war, rather the human stories that surround it, for me it was the interweaving stories about what was going on back in camp that lost it for me. If however you like novels about battles you would probably rate it higher than I did.

Waiting
Waiting
by Ha Jin

4.0 out of 5 stars Not your star crossed lovers but mature, imperfect people., 23 April 2012
This review is from: Waiting (Paperback)
This novel gripped me straight away, a man who returns home to his village from the city hospital were he works, every year to Goose Village to divorce his wife so he can marry his girlfriend in the city and every year he goes home without the divorce. It has a touch of comedy to start but it is shaded with a very human tale of a love triangle, a girlfriend not so pretty or perfect, a wife forced upon her husband by his parents and the husband both unable and unwilling to force the issue to escape this situation all hemmed in by the Communist system and rules that reach into to all walks of family life. A refreshingly, haunting tale.

The Artist
The Artist

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly enjoyable for all, 21 April 2012
This review is from: The Artist (MP3 Download)
One of the best movie scores I have heard in a long time and one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. One small item to note, the Vertigo music from the film is not on this score, the composer having written a completely original score for the movie but that one section not being ready on time the film was brought to screen with the Vertigo music on it, when The Artist is released on DVD it will have the track from the album score on instead.

The Lovely Bones
The Lovely Bones
by Alice Sebold

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and subjective., 21 April 2012
This review is from: The Lovely Bones (Paperback)
I was gripped by the recounting of the tale of Suzie Salmon, a teenager girl who gets killed by her neighbour, a previous offender and is able to look down on her family from heaven. I found it a real page turner and have only resisted giving it 5 stars because some of the ending didn't feel right to me. That's all I'll say, not wanting to spoil it for others but I wouldn't write it off as some reviewers have done because of the view of heaven or disagreement with the ending. It's a book that is well worth reading if you don't find the subject matter off putting.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10