Profile for adam-p-reviews > Reviews

Content by adam-p-reviews

adam-p-reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Kings or Pawns (Steps of Power: The Kings)
Kings or Pawns (Steps of Power: The Kings)
by J J Sherwood

4.0 out of 5 stars Kings of Pawns, J. J.Sherwood- Book Review, 22 Aug. 2016
Set in the fantasy Elven realm of Sevrigel, Kings or Pawns is the first book in J. J. Sherwood’s epic fantasy series Steps of Power.

With a young new king and a war that has lasted many lifetimes still furiously waging on, Sevrigel looks for a period of peace. However, the new king Hairem seeks to revolutionise the way Sevrigel is ruled and wishes to wrestle power away from the corrupt, selfish Council of Elders whom has controlled the capital city Elvorium for centuries. Nevertheless, Hairem must tread carefully as the council will not give up their powers easily. Hundreds of years of self-motivated policies have provided the Council with both power and wealth and they are not above murder to ensure that their demands are filled. The young king must look to his old and new allies for help as he tries to press his will on the council.

Jikun is the General and supreme commander of the Elvorian army. After fighting years against his nemesis Saebellus, he is growing weary of war and weary of the southern rulers he has been serving for a lifetime. Jikun wishes to return to the cold north of his childhood and hunt the wild and dangerous Thakish with his old comrades. However, with the cunning Saebellus on the loose in Sevrigel, Jikun knows he cannot leave the army until his duty is done. When an opportunity arises that seems too good to be true, Jikun snatches it in the hopes of finally defeating Saebellus and ending the war for good.

For me this was really a book of two halves. The first half had me totally engrossed with the political intrigue between Hairem and the Council. In addition, I extremely enjoyed Jikun’s back story. I thought Darvial was a unique part of the Sevrigelian world and I’m excited to learn more about his past and his upbringing in Darvial. I think Sherwood did a fantastic job of fleshing out her world in this half of the book and instantly had me engrossed with the situation in Elvorium and what Hairem’s plans were to try and fix it.

However, the second half took away from this and added new characters which we had not met before and completely forgets about some major plots points opened up in the first half of the novel, especially ones about Nilanis. All these new characters then go on a mission together to rescue a princess that has been captured. I felt this new plot point came out of nowhere with no real explanation as to why the princess was taken. Later on in the novel you find out why she was captured, however it still seemed a little random and strange and I honestly think the rescue mission didn’t need to be in the book. Then for no apparent reason, Jikun goes to fight a war against centaurs, which for me bogged down the plot line and again seemed kind of pointless. With both of these points I knew what the author wanted to do, but wish both sub plots could have been done a little differently or not at all to keep the pace of the narrative going.

Nevertheless, at the end of the book there was a great, though predictable twist, which had me speeding through the last 100 eBook pages just like I did with the first half of the book, so this was a redeeming quality after the slow and somewhat random second half of the novel.

All in all this was a good book and good start to the Steps of Powers series. The ending made me extremely curious for book two and I’m looking forward to reading it!

Kings or Pawns is like a mix of Tolkien and George R. R. Martin. So if you like political intrigue mixed in with high fantasy then I think you will really enjoy this book.

The Black Stone: Agent of Rome 4
The Black Stone: Agent of Rome 4
by Nick Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars The Black Stone, Nick Brown- Book Review, 2 July 2016
When the sacred Black Stone of Emesa is stolen by a mysterious enemy of Rome, Cassius is set the task of recovering it for his Emperor. The identity and location of the thieves are unknown. Nevertheless, Cassius must create a small task force to gain information from an imperial spy in Petra and then use that information to track down the stone. However, the Corn Man soon finds out that the theft of the sacred object could be linked with Rome’s allies the Tanukh: a confederation of Arabian tribes that traditionally guards Rome’s frontier. Cassius must come up with a plan to return the stone to Rome and ease relations with Rome’s old ally, ensuring another rebellion does not spark in the Empire’s eastern provinces.

Yet again Brown has managed to create a captivating and thrilling historical fiction book. I think the Agent of Rome series is by far my favourite Roman series out there at the moment. This is because Brown creates excellent characters and actually gives them personalities that make them feel human.

Typically in Roman novels of this type, there are always two main ‘chalk and cheese’ protagonists that really shouldn’t get along. Usually it’s a young buck that has been thrust into leadership and throughout the books that follow, the youngster grows into an amazing warrior and leader. Then there is the old veteran, who has distain for the young officer because of his quick elevation to command, but then over time gains a sense of respect for the young man as he develops into this great leader.

I believe Cassius and Indavara aren’t like that. Sure, Cassius was thrown into his position but he was literally bred from birth to deal with these situations as he comes from a rich family. Nevertheless, he is no hero and honestly not a character I like, as he is cowardly and very self-centred. However, this makes him a great character to read about as he is someone different from the usual zero-to-hero protagonist that defines this genre of historical-fiction. His partner in the books is also unusual because at times I don’t think he even likes Cassius. In addition, there is an air of mystery around Indavara, which I’m excited to learn more about in future novels. This again makes him interesting to me because he is not the two dimensional character you usually see in this genre. We don’t really know what his motives are because we don’t know that much about him, which is great for the reader as this factor sometimes makes him unpredictable.

Finally, another character that shone in this book was Gutha, the German mercenary working for the Arabians. I thought the small parts in the book about his past were very interesting and I would love to read more about him in a short story, so Nick if you’re reading this, please consider it because I’d be the first to review it!

To conclude this was a great edition to the Agent of Rome series and I can’t wait to read the next two books. I would suggest it to fans of authors like Ben Kane, Anthony Riches and Simon Scarrow. If you are a historical fiction fan please check out this series, it is a true gem in a genre that I am starting to feel more and more disillusioned with.

For more book reviews google adam-p-reviews.

Howl's Moving Castle
Howl's Moving Castle
by Diana Wynne Jones

4.0 out of 5 stars Howl's Moving Castle- Book Review, 26 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Howl's Moving Castle (Paperback)
I first read this book after seeing it beautifully visualised in Studio Ghibli’s and Hayao Miyazaki’s movie adaptation Howl’s Moving Castle. The artwork of the film was breathtaking and after finding out the author of the book was actually Welsh, I really wanted to see for myself how the Japanese movie differed from the novel.

The book is based in a fictional kingdom called Ingary and the main character is a young girl called Sophie Hatter, who as the name suggests, is a hat maker’s apprentice. After a chance encounter with the local wizard Howl, Sophie is cursed by one of his jealous old lovers and turned into an old woman. The worst part of the curse is that Sophie can’t tell anyone that she was cursed and therefore the curse cannot be lifted.

Overcome with anger and fear, Sophie decides to leave her home town of Market Chipping and wander the wastes surrounding the city, looking for the witch that cursed her. However, what she finds is something much more peculiar; a magical, mechanical castle the roams the wastes on its own free will. Sophie is forced to shelter inside the castle and there meets the wizard Howl again. After making an agreement with Howl’s fire demon Calcifer, Sophie decides to stay on as the Wizard’s house maid, which leads her on a magical fairy-tale of love, jealousy and tragedy.

This novel is great but for the first time ever, I think I have to say that I preferred the movie more. The artwork is so beautiful in Miyazaki’s masterpiece that I think the film is one of the best ever. The book was really enjoyable too but I think Miyazaki did a fantastic job of trimming some of the fat from the novel which I think was not necessarily needed. For example, there is some inter-dimensional stuff that happens in the book which I didn’t like. I thought Jones’s world was so incredibly imagined that she didn’t need to bring the plot into our actual world. I thought doing this made the plot line increasingly confusing and killed the pacing of the novel. Almost like the weird scene in The Empire Strikes Back where Luke fights Darth Vader in that strange cave. As this book is part of a trilogy maybe this inter-dimensional stuff is explained in the last two novels, however, I still believe that in this novel it made no sense.

To conclude, this was an extremely enjoyable and imaginative fantasy/ fairy-tale but I really can’t stress enough how beautiful the movie is, so make sure you check it out too. I’m very interested to see what happens in the following novels in the trilogy and will hopefully review them one day soon!

For more book reviews google adam-p-reviews

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Volume 1: Change is Constant (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Graphic Novels)
by Kevin B. Eastman

3.0 out of 5 stars TMNT- Comic Book Review, 13 May 2016
I decided to give this comic book series a try as I was such a huge fan of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles TV show when I was a kid. Plus, the fact that a new TMNT video game is getting released in a few weeks also swayed me to pick up these comics. This is because one of the lead artists on the game also worked on the comic books. As the game looks amazing, I thought I’d love the comics too.

Unfortunately this wasn’t the case. The art style in the video game was very bright and easy to look at and enjoy, whereas I found the comics to be almost monochrome, limited to blacks, greens and reds. It gives the art style of the comic a much more grown up feel, which it could be argued is the comic’s target audience as most of its reader would have grown up with the Turtles as kids (like me). However, I felt it was too harsh for me because the limited colour pallet didn’t distinguish each individual tile of artwork from one and other. This led me to mostly just read the text in the book and not look at the corresponding pictures because I enjoyed the story more than the artwork.

The story is the origin story of the Turtles and their master Splinter. Though some parts of the story were ridiculous; like Splinter (as a rat and not a mutant) defeating two Ninjas as they try and steal the Turtles, I still thought it was very original and more dynamic than the original origin stories from the TV show and numerous movies following it. The loss of Raphael was interesting and used well as it gave the writers a chance to introduce other key characters in the series, which I thought was an refreshing sub-plot and really enjoyed.

I won’t be continuing this series as I feel it’s not for me. However, if you are a TMNT fan I think you should give Vol 1 a try, as it is quite short and actually has an ending where you can walk away from the series feeling content.

Dead Eyes
Dead Eyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead Eyes,Nick Brown- Book Review, 9 May 2016
This review is from: Dead Eyes (Kindle Edition)
Dead Eyes is a collection of three short sci-fi stories by author N. H. Brown. For fans of historical fiction, Nick also writes the amazing Agent of Rome series that I can not recommend enough! The three stories are called: Dead Eyes, Four Numbers and Afflict. The stories are based on different characters whom seem to all co-exist in the same universe.

Dead Eyes tells the tale of Captain Mackay, a down on his luck Captain looking for his big break. Mackay and his crew are somewhat like bounty hunters but instead of hunting people, the crew look for rare resources on distant planets in the universe. Mackay finds his break on the planet of Chasseur-Malcom where a huge deposit of crude oil has been discovered. Mackay and his crew must race to the newly surveyed planet before his competitors can lay claim to the lucrative crude oil. However, what Mackay and the small crew of the Great White discover there is far more dangerous than their competitors.

Hayley Drasic is a soldier serving on Cygna 8, a small human colony on the far reaches of space. With a population of around 600, most people believed that the planet should have been abandoned when ruthlessly invaded by a mysterious alien race. However, orders are orders and the defence force fought valiantly against the ‘Sticks’(as the bionic aliens have become known). Nevertheless, the humans have been pushed back into a canyon and the future looks bleak for Hayley Drasic.

The final story is very short and I think the most intriguing. Donald Mathews-Vartini is met by a mysterious figure in his office. The strange looking man offers to take all of Earth’s most evil people and wrong doers and make them disappear. Though the offer seems too good to turn down, the stranger’s plan for the wrong doers are never revealed. Could they come back to haunt Donald in the future?

I really enjoyed these short stories and it was very interesting to see Brown turn his hand to Sci-Fi. Each story teased me enough to want to know more about the characters and read more about them.

I also thought the stories were unique in their sci-fi setting because they weren’t too heavily focused on futuristic science. Different cultural identities still exist from Earth in Brown’s universe and their goals still feel human. What I mean by this is that Earth is still looking for oil on far off planets and still has problems that affect humanity today. In some respects, I found this limited the stories because I like my Sci-Fi to be epic and be withdrawn from the plights of humanity today. Nevertheless, I did like the stories and would be interested to read more about these characters, especially Mackay and the crew of The Great White.

Dead Eyes is priced at £0.99 on Amazon at the minute and is a steal at that price so go and get it! If you like Sci-Fi definitely check it out and let me know what you think of the short stories!

For more book reviews google adam-p-reviews

The Skull Throne (The Demon Cycle, Book 4)
The Skull Throne (The Demon Cycle, Book 4)
by Peter V. Brett

5.0 out of 5 stars The Skull Throne, Peter V. Brett- Book Review, 4 April 2016
The Skull Throne is the fourth book in this ever expanding dark fantasy world and takes places directly after the ending of The Daylight War. With the battle between Arlen and Jardir ending in the disappearance of both potential ‘Deliverers’, the whole of Thesa is thrown into chaos as rivalling powers struggle to fill the power vacuum Jardir leaves behind.

His two sons Jajan and Asome both set out on their own paths to seek glory and stake their claim to their father’s skull throne. Jajan is sent by his mother Inevera to Dock Town to fulfil his father’s plan of attacking the Duchy of Laktons’ source of food for the winter. Whilst Asome tries to build support by defying his father’s wishes and letting his Dama warriors fight in Alagai’sharak.

Meanwhile, Leesha Paper and Rojer Halfgrip travel to Fort Angiers to assist the Duke there. However, what they don’t realise is that they are walking into a vipers pit, where court intrigue rules. Mixing this with old enemies, Leesha, Rojer and his wives must be cautious in the capital if they are to survive and fulfil Arlen Bails’s plan.

I’ve been reading and listening to this series over a number of years now. It has always been a series that I enjoy coming back to, however I never rush to read the new novels when they are first published. I've always found them to be interesting but never all engrossing like other fantasy series can be. However, this book totally, totally changed that.

The plot moves away from the focus of killing daemons which was the emphasis of the first three novels. With the disappearance of Arlen and Jardir, the focus of the novel twists to the spiritual conundrum of humans fighting each other for the power to lead and continue the war on daemon kind. Jardir’s sons tare their father’s hard earned Empire apart as they both struggle for control. Honestly, the intrigue and plots in this book are epic and I haven’t been so immersed in a novel like this since A Game of Thrones. So much so that all I’m thinking about is what could happen next!

The Skull Throne is by far the best book in the series and I’m so excited for the next novel! I would suggest this book to anyone who is a fan of epic fantasy like A Game of Thrones or Mark Lawrence'sThe Brocken Empire series.

For more book reviews google adam-p-reviews

The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage trilogy)
The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage trilogy)
by Brian McClellan

3.0 out of 5 stars The Autumn Republic, Brian McClellan- Book Review, 14 Mar. 2016
After absolutely flying through The Crimson Campaign I was extremely excited to start The Autumn Republic. I thought McClellan left the threads of each individual character perfectly placed at the end of The Crimson Campaign to make this final book in the series incredibly epic! Tamas was on his way back to his soldiers with sixty thousand new men. Taniel had escaped his captures and looked ready to enact revenge on the Kez, and Adamat was prepared to go behind enemy lines to find his kidnapped son.

It saddens me to say that though I was excited to read The Autumn Republic, it left me feeling underwhelmed and a little disappointed. These stories never seemed to materialise at all. Much of the first half of the book was devoted to characters such as Nila, Vlora and Olem and I felt that the main plots for the three leading characters were almost rushed, as they seemed to be concluded so quickly. In addition, as the start of the book was so heavily focused on it; I became invested in Nila’s story. But then the novel then seemed to trail away from her tale and onto something else (Lord Claremonte) and again, only rounded up her story quickly at the end of the book. It almost felt like McClellan wedged in the problem with Lord Claremonte without considering how he could properly round up everyone else’s plots from The Crimson Campaign. And though I did like that the author added a new antagonist, I thought that the big reveal surrounding him was a little too obvious, making me want to read on past Adamant’s detective work around Claremonte until the big fight scene at the end.

However, though I have painted a bleak picture of the book there was some parts that I really liked. Firstly, I still love the world McClellan has created and feel he has left the ending open to expand on that world with new characters. Plus, I did enjoy the events in the book but they didn’t turn out how I expected them to be. If this was a stand-alone novel I would definitely give it five stars, but with the build up from The Promise of Blood and The Crimson Campaign I expected more from McClellan in this final novel.

To conclude, this was an enjoyable read but was a little underwhelming. If you’re a fantasy fan you must read this trilogy though, it’s one of the best!

For more book reviews check out adam-p-reviews

Star Wars: Dark Disciple
Star Wars: Dark Disciple
by Christie Golden

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark Disciple, Christie Golden- Book Review, 4 Mar. 2016
I’ve only ever read one other book in the Star Wars extended universe and that was Darth Plaugeis by James Luceno . In my review I said it should have been renamed ‘the secret history of the fall of the Republic’ as the book was so packed with boring detail about politics and economics that happen within the SW universe. Remembering this made me a bit hesitant to try other SW novels, as I was worried that they too would be full of important, though boring facts, about the SW galaxy.

So it was my pleasure to find that Dark Disciple was totally different from Darth Plagueis. At its heart this novel is a love story between two star crossed lovers. I know; we’ve seen it all before in SW with Anakin and Padme’s ‘love’ in the prequel movies. However, the two protagonists in this novel: Quinlan Vos and Asajj Ventress (from SW Clone Wars) really made the love story seem believable. This is because they both work alone and don’t need a partner. Nonetheless, when forced to work together by the Jedi council and asked to do something morally wrong in assassinating Count Dooku, the couple find that they need each other to cope with the gruesome task, whilst also guiding each other around the Dark Side.

And this dabble with the Dark Side is what I think makes this book extremely addictive as Golden does an excellent job of making you guess if Vos is a good guy or a bad guy. I think the author balances this question on a knife point throughout the last third of the novel by just showing the reader enough to think Vos may or may not be evil, which envelops the reader in Vos’s inner turmoil and his relationship with Ventress.

In addition, by adding well known characters such as Anakin and Obi Wan to the main plot line made this novel very accessible to readers like me who haven’t read that many SW books. This makes it easier for the reader to become immersed in the story as they know and love these characters and can picture them easily in their mind. Plus, it gives a different incite onto those established characters. This is because they are mostly in the background of the novel and the reader gets to see how they interact with other characters that were not in the movies.

All in all, Dark Disciple was an amazing book and is definitely a good place to start if you are looking to get into SW novels. I would love it if Golden wrote more novels about Vos, especially if they were based before he met Ventress.

The Crimson Campaign: Book 2 in The Powder Mage Trilogy
The Crimson Campaign: Book 2 in The Powder Mage Trilogy
by Brian McClellan

5.0 out of 5 stars The Crimson Campaign, Brain McClellan- Book Review, 22 Feb. 2016
The Crimson Campaign is the second book in Brian McClellan’s epic Powder Mage series and pretty much picks up the story where it was left off in The Promise of Blood. Like the first novel, book two is also split into three different plot lines which revolve around three different characters: Tamas, Taniel and Adamat.

Field Marshal Tamas is protecting Adro’s borders from a gigantic Kez army that plans to invade and reinstate the monarchy Tamas worked so hard to topple. Though his army is greatly outnumbered, the Field Marshal feels confident that his well trained and disciplined troops will overcome the rabble of Kez soldiers. Though he believes in his troops, Tamas knows that nothing in war is certain and when a chance arises to outflank his enemy and possibly end the war; Tamas takes two of his best brigades and his infamous Powder Mages to finally wipe out the Kez threat. However, the Field Marshal is deceived and has to watch as his army is destroyed. Now Tamas is trapped behind enemy lines and must march his men hundreds of miles through enemy territory to get back to Adro and save his country from another despot.

Killing a god can have serious consequences and when Taniel Two-Shot put a bullet through Kresimir’s eye, his life changed forever. After waking up from a coma, Taniel tries to forget his old life as a soldier and falls into a vicious cycle of drug abuse and denial as he wastes away in a Mala Den. However, when a new breed of assassin is sent to kill him, Taniel decides that his fate lies with the army and returns to the front-line to help defend his country. Nonetheless, life in the army has changed drastically since his father’s (Tamas) disappearance and Taniel finds that he is no longer the golden-boy of the Adro army. Plus, with defeat after defeat pushing the Adro forces back towards the capital Adopest, Taniel feels that something is amiss with the ruling elite and has to ruffle a few feathers to find a traitor in his father’s camp.

Inspector Adamat is still on the hunt for his kidnapped family. With the help of Tamas, he manages to free his youngest children from the lair of Lord Vetas; a conspirator against Tamas and a royalist who wishes to see Adro returned to the rule of the King. Vetas is even more cunning than Adamat imagined and though he saved his children, the Lord still has Adamat’s wife and eldest son locked away in his stronghold. Adamat has to face the challenge head on and tasks himself with recruiting allies to tackle Vetas. However, when Adamat learns the Lord has a Privileged, the Inspector must look to someone from Adro’s despotic past for help.

Like the first book in the series (which I’ve read but haven’t reviewed) The Crimson Campaign was amazing! I am a huge fan of fantasy books and authors, but for me Brian McClellan goes above and beyond with this series for his original story and setting. Basing a novel in a Napoleonic-like era really hits a soft spot with me because I am such a history nerd about the French Revolution and the Napoleonic Wars. Then to mix in the fantasy of magic, sorcery, Powder Mages (mages that gain their power from gunpowder) and epic Gods ultimately makes this series truly great.

Honestly, if you are into fantasy books or authors like Mark Lawrence or Patrick Rothfuss you have to check out this series. I thought the first book; The Promise of Blood was equally as good as this one and I can’t wait to read The Autumn Republic! It’s so exciting to find that there are these great fantasy trilogies out there and that they are not just dragging out series like what seems to be happening in the historical-fiction genre at the moment.

For more book reviews google adam-p-reviews

Star Wars: Kanan: The Last Padawan Vol. 1 (Star Wars (Marvel))
Star Wars: Kanan: The Last Padawan Vol. 1 (Star Wars (Marvel))
by Greg Weisman

5.0 out of 5 stars My first comic and I loved it!, 11 Feb. 2016
I read the whole book in one night; the story was so good! It tells the tale of Kanan as a young Padawan under the guidance of Jedi Depa Billaba on the planet of Kaller. The Jedi and Clone Army have liberated the planet from the iron grip of the Separatists and Kanan is enjoying his victory. However, when his friends Captain Styles and Commander Grey receive order sixty six from the newly crown Emperor, Kanan’s sheltered life as a Jedi apprentice is soon cut short.

Kanan manages to escape with his life as Depa Billaba sacrifices herself to save the young Padawan. He finds himself alone in Kaller’s capital city, scrounging for food and trying to keep a low profile as he plans to escapes the planet. As always, the Force works in mysterious ways and leads Kanan to a smuggler and rogue called Janus, who takes the starving and scared child under his wing. The former Padawan thinks he can get on with his new life and though he has disappeared, his two old friends Styles and Grey are still on the hunt for the young Jedi traitor that got away…

This comic was everything I wanted; it told a compelling story about a character who I thought was interesting but knew would never get a movie or TV series of his own. In addition, the artwork was beautiful and I felt there was an almost Anime feel to Pepe Larraz’s and Jacapo Camagni’s art which I really appreciated. The colourist David Curiel made his art very dark and grungy, using lots of browns and oranges which I think added an atmosphere to Greg Weisman’s writing; helping show Kanan’s distress at losing his master and starting a new life.

I really enjoyed reading this comic and I am looking forward to picking up the other editions in the series that have been released. I hope my review was ok, it’s my first one so please be kind! I don’t know that much about art or comic book artists, but approached this review as I would any other book review and gave my honest opinion!

If you are an avid comic book reader please suggest some series to me, I would love to get into more obscure comics, as I assume any Star Wars comic is pretty popular!

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 6, 2016 9:19 AM BST