Profile for Sweetpea > Reviews

Content by Sweetpea

Sweetpea (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
A Proposal to Die For (A Lady Alkmene Cosy Mystery, Book 1)
A Proposal to Die For (A Lady Alkmene Cosy Mystery, Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars I’m a huge fan of anything set in the 20s and 30s and love to escape ‘back in time’ in a book, 26 Nov. 2016
A Proposal To Die For is the first in the series of the Lady Alkmene and I have to say first that the covers for all three of these books are absolutely stunning. So evocative of the time period and they caught my eye straight away.

I’m a huge fan of anything set in the 20s and 30s and love to escape ‘back in time’ in a book. This story did this for me to a certain extent and the storyline was interesting. I think Lady Alkmene was a little more aloof from the reader than she needed to be, which although goes with her character, doesn’t help the reader bond with her but I did like her and just wanted to know her a little better. Jake Dubois seems interesting and I enjoyed what the author is trying to do regarding social commentary – it was a time when class and privilege was being questioned. Jake digs at Lady A a few times about her place in society and she makes her own faux pas a couple of times just because she’s had such a cossetted upbringing and isn’t aware of how she is supposed to act in certain situations. I think this could really be built on, although I did find a little chemistry between the two lacking, even as friends.

My main gripe was with the dialogue, and the Americanisms that kept popping up. To me, the period speech wasn’t quite nailed in this one and often seemed too modern to what I would expect of the 1920s. The Americanisms confused me, for example, several times a sentence was begun with ‘Say! This seemed out of place and isn’t something I’ve really heard apropos to the 1920s, and certainly not to a British speech pattern. To me, that’s more 1940s and 50s American speech.

Overall, I did enjoy this book and if some of the above were improved upon I think it would more accurately reflect the covers.

66 Metres: A chilling thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat! (Nadia Laksheva Spy Thriller Series, Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing backdrop, and thoroughly entertaining, 26 Nov. 2016
Initially, I found this a little hard to get into (as opposed to another reviewer who preferred the beginning, which all goes to show how subjective reviews are). I found it a little hard to warm to Nadia immediately. However, I bought this book on the basis that the world of diving was an unusual, and rarely seen, setting for a thriller so I was intrigued and wanted to give it a chance.

I’m so glad I persevered. Once Nadia meets Jake and his friends, she seems to come into her own a little more and it was these interactions in the book that were my favourite parts. I really liked Jake and all his ‘crew’ – they seemed a fun bunch that you’d be happy hanging out in the pub with. However, Kirwan knows how to break a heart – that’s all I’m saying – so be prepared.

It’s clear the author knows his stuff about diving. I’ve never done it, so it was quite fascinating to read about the procedures, not to mention dangers, that a diver goes through. I had no idea what the title meant so I was interested to pick up that nugget of info too. I enjoyed that all this information and was given over in a natural way and not ‘I know all this stuff so I’m going to ram it down your throat’ way – there’s no quicker way to get me to put a book down than that.

This is a book, however, that once I got into, I had trouble putting down and it kept me thoroughly entertained. I’ve a friend who’s done quite a lot of diving so I’ll be recommending it to him, and others, without hesitation. I look forward to book 2 in the series!

Start with Your Sock Drawer: The Simple Guide to Living a Less Cluttered Life
Start with Your Sock Drawer: The Simple Guide to Living a Less Cluttered Life
by Vicky Silverthorn

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, but some suggestions not practical for those without a bigger house, 18 Oct. 2016
This is an easy read, and I like that Vicky takes things in manageable sections but I do think she might be more used to dealing with people who a) have more money and b) have more space. It's all very well saying that bookshelves are brilliant for storing shoes and 'just get a bookcase' - but the issue is finding somewhere to put said bookcase for a start. The same goes for a filing system - I like the idea behind that, having drawers rather than hanging files but telling people to get a filing cabinet isn't always possible. They're not the prettiest of things and finding the space for them could be a problem, especially if you don't want it as a 'feature'. The tips for hallways also seem aimed at a grander house than mine, for sure and there's quite a lot of reference to 'putting it in the spare room wardrobe'...what spare room would that be then? Still, I did enjoy the book although, as someone else has mentioned, a lot of it is common sense. However, if it gives people a helping hand to get sorting, and decluttering, then that's a good thing.

12" Fan (Cold Air) - 12 inch Desk Top Static & Oscillating Cooling Electric Fan (30cm) 3 speed Adjustable Tilt (Table model) - High Quality Model - ULTRA COOL White Finish by DTL

MGDRx Eye Bag for Blepharitis
MGDRx Eye Bag for Blepharitis
Offered by FirstForContactLenses

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely helps., 8 Oct. 2016
Really helps but be careful to make sure it's not too hot when you put it on. 'juggle' it a little to cool it down if needs be.

The Happy Medium: Life Lessons from the Other Side
The Happy Medium: Life Lessons from the Other Side
by Kim Russo

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, 8 Oct. 2016
Interesting. I love Kim's 'The Haunting of...' programme and bought it on that basis. It's different to what I thought it might be but an interesting read none the less, and I'll probably read it again at some point to better absorb some of the things she was saying in it.

Christmas Under a Cranberry Sky: A perfect romance to curl up by the fire with (A Town Called Christmas)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cosy, festive read to really get you in the mood for Christmas, 8 Oct. 2016
If you want to get in the mood for Christmas, you can't go far wrong by diving into this book and landing in the aptly name village of Christmas on the remote Scottish isle of Juniper. Holly Martin has done a wonderful job of creating a festive atmosphere and the perfect Christmas setting here complete with an ice palace and private glass igloos from which to watch the Northern Lights.
The story travels along well and the characters are ones we really care about, and want to be happy. The hero's daughter, Wren, completely steals the show and is adorably cute but with just enough mischief to make her believable.
All in all, if you want a cosy festive read, get yourself to Christmas.

Belkin F8N143 Portable Notebook Cushdesk Comfort Lap Desk for Laptops up to 18.4 inch - Black/Pink

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it., 8 Oct. 2016
Love it. Does the job and stops the computer from getting too hot or burning my knees.

You And Me, Always: The No. 1 Bestseller
You And Me, Always: The No. 1 Bestseller

3.0 out of 5 stars Main character too perfect, 8 Oct. 2016
This was my first Jill Mansell and, although I may read more in the future, I'm definitely not rushing out to get all her backlist just yet. Perhaps I didn't start with the best. I think the main issue I had was with the main character - she was just too perfect. She's pretty, perky, everyone adores her and she never seems to do anything wrong (in her late twenties to never have done something you regret?!). She was just a little hard to connect with and I found the character of Patsy, her friend, much more interesting - I'd have preferred the book to have followed her to be honest. I did like the characters, in general and I enjoyed the nice, summery feel of the book. An easy read and a good one to pick up and put down when you're on holiday or something.

Breakfast Under A Cornish Sun: The perfect romantic comedy for summer
Breakfast Under A Cornish Sun: The perfect romantic comedy for summer

5.0 out of 5 stars Really easy Summer read. Definitely recommended., 3 Sept. 2016
When Kate unexpectedly gets invited to a wedding of an ex school friend, she panics and tells her she's dating a Poldark lookalike. Except she's not. And now she has just a few weeks to find one! When her friend suggests a trip to Cornwall, it seems like the perfect opportunity to extend the search. But when she does actually find one, is he really what Kate wants?

The author has captured the British seaside perfectly with this book, from the weather to the food and we get to meet some fun and interesting characters whose lives we really care about; what is the big secret that weighs down gorgeous Tremain's shoulders, and will Kate ever be able to move on from her tragedy?

This is a really easy summer read that keeps you turning the pages, and wishing for that happy ending! Definitely recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9