Profile for Pawel > Reviews

Braveheart [Blu-ray] [1995]
Dvd ~ Mel Gibson
Offered by AARDVARK MEDIA

5.0 out of 5 stars For those who like the genre, 8 Feb. 2013
Some people seem to forget that film is predominantly about entertainment, not only about adherence to historical facts, especially if it's not a documentary;) Remeber you don't watch Hollywood films to learn history:)

For those who like hack'n'slash movies with swishing swords and arrows this is the perfect choice. I watch this film on blu ray every now and then and still find it enjoyable.

Blu ray - good transfer, worth buying.

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy [Blu-ray]
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Elijah Wood

3.0 out of 5 stars What can I say...., 8 Feb. 2013
We all love the film, so I'll skip this part.

Picture qality is fine, the transfer to blu ray makes a difference.

Films are on two blue-ray discs each, which is outrageous. No extras.

Still at 15 quid it is a good buy, I think.

As for the DVD Extended Edition Box Set - I got it for 15 quid too. Great extras, good picture, worth buying too.

DK Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Universe
DK Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Universe
by DK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 8 Feb. 2013
I got this book for 12.79 quid. It is a bargain price and the book is really well written. It explains so many things and does it easily digestible. Plus you get DK quality - beautiful illustrations and photos and high quality paper. At this price, don't hesitate. I bought it with DK Science and grabbed myself a nice bargain.

Don't worry about people complaining about mistakes like the one with Pluto. There are hardly any books without mistakes. I am a teacher and I have never seen a coursebook without a mistake (misprints and mistakes in answer keys). It just happens. If you can snipe it at 12.79, do not hesitate.

Science: The Definitive Visual Guide
Science: The Definitive Visual Guide
by Robert Dinwiddie

5.0 out of 5 stars Well balanced, beautifully printed, 8 Feb. 2013
I got this book for 12.79 quid. It is a bargain price and the book is really well written. It explains so many things and does it easily digestible. Plus you get DK quality - beautiful illustrations and photos and high quality paper. At this price, don't hesitate. This books is a must-have.

How To Train Your Dragon - Double Play (Blu-ray + DVD)
How To Train Your Dragon - Double Play (Blu-ray + DVD)
Dvd ~ Dean DeBlois

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best animations ever - if not the best, 8 Feb. 2013
Before I start let me tell you: I am a 33 male, and I like Wall-E and Tangled. Recently the dragon animation joined them as one of my favourite animations.

Pros:

- it is funny, not side-splittingly funny, but really amusing, it is definietely not the Shrek-type of thing,
- it's packed with action, with extraordiary experiences like flight and aerial combat thanks to great camera work
- it is moving, the characters are well developed
- it conveys a few valuable messages about upbringing, conflict between generations, superstition and even disability

Cons:

None:)

South Pacific [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
South Pacific [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Benedict Cumberbatch

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 8 Feb. 2013
I can't really understand poeple saying it is flawed or just OK. This blu-ray is lush for anyone interested in the Pacific and Pacific islands. If I remember well I got it from Amazon for app. 9 quid so you can wait and snipe a bargain:) Highly recommended. I know I won't be able to see these places in my whole lifetime. This blu ray takes me there.

Dinosaurs
Dinosaurs
by Michael Benton

5.0 out of 5 stars Could be a bit better but great buy nevertheless, 8 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Dinosaurs (Hardcover)
A few thoughts after the purchase and perusal:

- the book is massive. I was warned buy other reviewers and took a measuring tape to see how it would fit. It wouldn't, practically anywhere in my home there isn't a proper shelf for it. Luckily I've got adjustable shelves on racks in one room 40cm deep that will be able to accomodate this massive book after an adjustment. So - I know it has been stated before - be warned, the book is massive. Expect a massive parcel too.

- somebody said the size is like 40-inch tv. To be precise it is exactly the size of 32-inch tv. So if you have one, take look and imagine your tv spread on your table or sofa. You don't read this book in bed or on your knees, it's not possible.

- the original price is supposed to have been 50 quid. The special-price unremovable sticker on the front cover says 25 quid and I got it for around 18 quid, which is already an irresistible bargain. I think 25 quid is the max price I would be willing to pay now that I have examined the content

- the book is beautifully printed, you get nice thick paper, good layout, interesting info, nice pictures, fossil locations, but...

- I am a wee bit disappointed with the pictures after all the accolades regarding the detail and quality. Perhaps my expectations were to high. The pics are very nice indeed but there's this CGI blur to the skin textures that leaves a bit to be desired, just a bit. I mean for this size the pictures could have been printed in more detail. Do I regret the purchase? Absolutely not. I just think the very size of the book makes you want even better quality, but still pics are beautiful.

- there is at least one flaw (perhaps mentioned before): in one size comparison chart a something like 1m-tall dino is bigger than a human, if I remember well. Can't say which because I closed the book without having taken notes on this one.

- another con there are no marine dinos - somebody has already mentioned that. With marine dinos the book would be twice the size and twice the price most probably.

All in all, if you can grab it for around 18-19 quid and you have the room, buy it. If the price is 25 quid - consider it, if it's more, wait for the price to fall:)

I would give 4,5 stars - half a star deducted for the blurry skin textures.

The Kolob Theorem: A Mormon's View of God's Starry Universe
The Kolob Theorem: A Mormon's View of God's Starry Universe
by Lynn M Hilton PhD

1.0 out of 5 stars theology and science..., 11 Jan. 2013
"Do you believe God's Throne is in the Center of our Universe? Have you ever Wondered How God's Universe is Structured? Here is a theory that will give you a deeper understanding of these subjects. "

This is both hilarious and outrageous. Using theology to try to explain what belongs to the realms of science is intelectual rape.

You could as well try to explain the Universe using any known mythology. How would you like that?

How the Universe Works [Blu-ray] [US Import]
How the Universe Works [Blu-ray] [US Import]

5.0 out of 5 stars The very best production about the Universe, 4 Dec. 2012
I am really into productions like this one, I read about the Cosmos, and I try and keep track of the latest discoveries.

From what I have seen this is by far the best production, an absolute must-have. I bought myself another BD player to be able to watch region A films. It's worth it.

It is easly digestible, could have a bit more insight into physics, but still it is informative, and the animations are just breathtakingly stunning.

Highly recommended!

Don't be a pest and don't review "zones", come on. It's unfair!!!!!!

The Big Bang Theory Official Calendar 2013
The Big Bang Theory Official Calendar 2013
by Pyramid International
Edition: Calendar

2.0 out of 5 stars not a great choice if pics, 26 Nov. 2012
As above. I would have gone for different pics. So much to choose from. I am a great fan but I'm not buying this, sorry.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4