Profile for J. Scott > Reviews

When God was a Rabbit
When God was a Rabbit
by Sarah Winman

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 24 Oct. 2011
This review is from: When God was a Rabbit (Paperback)
Really disappointed with this book. No strong sense of characterisation - many of the apparently potty eccentrics on the fringes of the story felt like pencil-sketches.

Most of the situations, whether comic or dramatic, felt crowbarred into the text. The nativity play punchline, for example, with the innkeeper saying "Yes, come in" is a joke that's as old as "A man walked into a bar..."

The September 11 plotline was predictable and felt exploitative, despite the author's protestations in the notes at the back.

Agree, there were moments of eloquent descriptive prose and the author seemed eager to please. But most people in a creative writing class can manage similar feats.

Gorgeous Greens (Gorgeous Series)
Gorgeous Greens (Gorgeous Series)
by Annie Bell

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous Annie Bell, 11 Aug. 2009
I must be one of Annie Bell's biggest fans... although it took me a while to realise it. For years I've kept a recipe file full of magazine cuttings and, one day, as I was going through them, I noticed half of them had been written by the same person - Annie Bell.
I'm thrilled she's written these "gorgeous" books... it's enabled me to clear out drawers full of magazine cuttings for one thing!
Her writing style is beautiful... she combines the luxurious prose of Nigella ("trifles are a deep sea dive, down through a glassy surface of cream to an underworld of hidden treasures" she says in Gorgeous Desserts) with the clear practicality of Delia. I agree with everyone else who says her recipes are simple but they do fling together imaginative flavour combinations, eliciting great reactions from dinner party guests. And, blessed joy, they pretty much always work. Her chocolate fondants are the most reliable version of that recipe I've ever found while, in this book, the pastry for her pea and feta tart is divine (and I'm not a very good pastry maker).
Like other reviewers, I'm a vegetarian and, although there are some meaty intrusions into this book (it's not, after all, written FOR veggies), it's one of the best recipe-suggestors for non-meat eaters I've ever read.
Get this woman on the telly!