Profile for T. J. Stickland > Reviews

Content by T. J. Stickland

T. J. Stickland "tomstickland" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Pyle-Pro DJ Mixer for USB and SD
Pyle-Pro DJ Mixer for USB and SD

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a great unit in many ways, 27 Nov. 2015
This is a great unit in many ways. It allows you to mix from digital storage or external sources in a compact unit.

The mixer is great. It has gain, bass and treble for each side. Master gain, headphone gain and mic gain in the middle. A cue switch allows you to pick which side to cue from. There are selector switches for each side to allow external inputs to be used. There are phone connections on the back for the external inputs and a gain selector for phono vs standard levels. There's full size jack sockets for headphones and microphone on the front. There's two outputs on the back, one for the main amplifier and one for recording from.

The two digital decks are completely independent of each other and don't share USB/SD cards. They read the cards quickly. A single push/rotate button is used to navigate and select tracks.

The folder order confused me at first. It appears in the order that you downloaded them to the card and subfolders are listed in the main list.
It's best not to go more than 1 folder deep in the file structure.
I find the speed with which the full file name scrolls across the screen is too slow. I edited my file names to make the first 10 digits or so enough to work out the whole track to work round this.

It sets the cue point at the point where you release the deck from being paused. I found this confusing at first and not always ideal.

The loop works quite well with simple "in", "out" and "reloop" buttons.
The "single" and "time" buttons work well.
Brake and reverse work well, though reverse won't work in a loop.

Jog is ok. It often works best if the track is paused, otherwise it's too slow.
It's not easy to jump forwards and backwards quickly in a track.

The scratch is OK but its behaviour when you let go isn't that impressive if the track is in play mode.

The biggest let down on this unit is that the pitch steps are too coarse for accurate beat matching. With the +/-16% range it goes in 1% steps and with +/-8% and +/-4% it goes in 0.5% steps. These are too large.

Overall it's a loveable unit with a few limitations. The coarse pitch steps mean I'm going to upgrade.

New Sexy Ladies Rara Mini Short Skirt Womens Sizes 8/10, 12/14, 14/16 (M/L (12/14), Turqoise)

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it., 27 Nov. 2015
As described, I love it.

Alcatel ONETOUCH IDOL 3 (4.7) SIM-Free Smartphone - Dark Grey
Alcatel ONETOUCH IDOL 3 (4.7) SIM-Free Smartphone - Dark Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone, very happy., 27 Sept. 2015
I wanted a cheapish handset to replace my broken Samsung S2. I read a lot of reviews and narrowed things down to this phone (Idol 3), a Sony E4G, the Motorola Moto g, the Samsung S4 mini and one of the Microsoft Lumia phones in the same price range. I studied the specs and reviews closely and the Idol 3 came out very well overall. The reviewers tend to prefer the 5" model but I wanted something that was a similar size to my old S2.

Having used the phone for a few weeks I have found it to do everything that I expected it to do without any issues. I bought an SD memory card for music and image files so I had no issues with the internal storage running out. The sound from it is very impressive and can go loud - the internal speakers function better for some tasks than a set of Sennheiser in-ear bud headphones that I have. The battery life is noticeable good. I was a bit disappointed with the camera until I realised that there was a protective film to remove from the glass! The photographs were then better but not amazing. Good enough for most tasks. The Android version on it seems to work well. The start up from cold is a touch slow but I tend to leave it on all of the time anyway.
The only negative is that the default Idol 3 home page "one touch stream" cannot be disabled but I just don't use it so I'm happy enough. Part of this page is a featured app bar that cannot be disabled and occasionally generates alerts.

Update: the other negative is audio quality when recording videos. It sounds quite muffled.

Corfu ~ Island Map
Corfu ~ Island Map
by Road Editions
Edition: Map

4.0 out of 5 stars Best map of Corfu, 27 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Corfu ~ Island Map (Map)
The best walking map for Corfu. It's still not as good an Ordnance Survey map though. It's not always clear whether to expect a tarmac road or a gravel track that could be mistaken for a driveway.

Corfu anavasi
Corfu anavasi
by Anavasi
Edition: Map

3.0 out of 5 stars Alright but there's better, 27 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Corfu anavasi (Map)
This is a fairly useful map and ideal for motoring.
The best map is the 1:65,000 Nakas Road Cartography 301 but even this leave some difficulty in navigating compared with an Ordnance Survey map of Britain.

32nd Shockproof Dual Defender Case Cover for Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3 Mobile Phone (4.7 inch version) - Black
Offered by 32ndShop

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well., 27 Sept. 2015
Good piece of kit that also includes two screen protector sheets. Functions exactly as expected so I'm happy.

ELTD Premium Tempered Glass 0.3mm Screen Protector for Alcatel Onetouch IDOL 3 4.7 (For Alcatel Onetouch IDOL 3 4.7 Smartphone,Glass)

4.0 out of 5 stars Works but not perfect, 27 Sept. 2015
Included instructions and cleaning solvents. I also experienced problems corners and two of them have a slight amount of air under them. I carried on anyway and it's functioned well as a screen protector.

Traffic: Why we drive the way we do (and what it says about us)
Traffic: Why we drive the way we do (and what it says about us)

3.0 out of 5 stars Over researched, 1 Feb. 2014
I made it to about half way through this book before stopping. it appeared to me that the author would just keep jamming more and more research into the book but without really thinking about what any of it meant.

I just became too annoyed with it to go any further.

The Hit Factory: The Stock, Aitken and Waterman Story
The Hit Factory: The Stock, Aitken and Waterman Story
by Mike Stock

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating but badly edited., 25 May 2011
Towards the end of the book Mike thanks two people for taking what he had written and organising it. I wish that they had done a better job. The book is packed with interesting information, but it needs ordering properly. Topics veer all over the place in a disjointed manner.

Not to worry. The book is still fascinating and draws the reader in because there's the climb up to the peak and then the decline. Several restarts are described and they were sucessful in their own way.

In the end Mike Stock does come across as a bit too bitter and sure that the way he thinks of pop music is the only right way. I could sympathise with the rants against the music business, but some of it just sounds too bitter. The music scene changed; dance music came and changed a lot of things. Not everyone wants a 3 minute pop song from a hit factory.

Overall, even though I don't like a lot of the SAW songs I still appreciate what they did. The work rate was astounding and I have a soft spot for a good pop record. I've been listening to loads on Youtube and some of the Sonia songs are masterpieces. At the time I thought that Sonia was really naff. I don't care about that any more.

If you're interested in how SAW operated and how their main song writer thought then this book will not disappoint you.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Alright for the money, 24 Mar. 2011
I bought one of these two years ago and use it mainly for mountain bike ride photos. I've used it in the rain, snow and mud without any problems.

It's small, simple to use and robust. Occasionally it will take an amazing photo. Most are alright, though it will sometimes return poor photos.

My main gripe is with the battery performance in the cold. I have to put the battery in my pocket to keep it warm otherwise it will start claiming that the battery is flat. It can do this within half an hour on a cold day, even with a fully charged battery.

My other gripe is the slow response speed when trying to use it for action photos. I just press the shutter early and hope that it catches something.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7