Profile for Mr. P. J. West > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. J. West

Mr. P. J. West (Dover, Kent, UK)

Anker USB 3.0 to SATA 3ft Converter Adapter Cable for 2.5 inch/3.5 inch Hard Drive Disk HDD and SSD, Power Adapter included
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars I should have bought the combined IDE/SATA version as my ..., 7 Nov. 2015
I should have bought the combined IDE/SATA version as my old PCs have had both types of drive. - they're still in a box somewhere! The three 500 GB drives from my old kit can now be used again as removable backup devices if necessary.

Anker Unibody USB 3.0 4-Port Aluminum Hub with Built-in 1.3-Foot USB 3.0 Cable
Anker Unibody USB 3.0 4-Port Aluminum Hub with Built-in 1.3-Foot USB 3.0 Cable

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Kit, 7 Nov. 2015
Having recently purchased an all-in-one PC I found that the USB ports were fewer than expected and harder to reach than on my old tower system. This bit of kit solved both problems in one go. A simple and solid solution.

Ex-Pro RM-UC1 Timer Remote Shutter Release cable switch with LCD Display for Olympus Pen/Evolt/SP [See Description for Models]
Offered by ExpressPro

5.0 out of 5 stars It Does It All, 23 Nov. 2013
I bought this in the first place because I am experimenting with time lapse photography using my Olympus E420. Though I have only tested it a couple of times the results were as pretty good (you need additional software to stitch the images into a video). I've also used it to prevent shake with the camera on a tripod, in low light and with a fairly heavy zoom lens in place - and again in worked a treat. Next test will be extended exposure times for night-time photography.

Someone else mentioned the instructions being a bit hard to understand but experimentation is the way to go as the display on the timer is fairly easy to understand - so far at any rate. I would, however, recommend removing the batteries when not in use as it doesn't appear to power down itself and there's no on/off button/switch.

The vendor despatched the item in good time and it arrived well within the estimated date range via Parcel Force - and it is small enough to fit through the letterbox so I didn't have to go hunting for it at the local sorting office.

All in all I am well pleased with this purchase.

Garmin zumo 660LM 4.3" Motorbike Sat Nav with UK and Full Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates and Bluetooth

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Bit of Kit, 3 Dec. 2012
The Garmin Zumo 660LM 4.3" Sat Nav for Motorcycles with Europe Maps was a replacement for a trusty Zumo 500 that was beginning to show its age from nearly six years of abuse. I also wanted something with a bigger screen. The Zumo 660LM ticked all the boxes before purchase.

Fitting to my bike was very easy as I already had the ram mount I used for the 500 and I only needed to put a plug onto the power lead and it was ready for action. Unlike the 500/550 there is no security screw on the cradle which makes the 660 quick and easy to remove - too easy for the light-fingered.

The display is crisp and bright and shows as much detail as I need on a journey. On it's first trip out it surprised me, with a detailed and almost photographic rendering of an approaching junction complete with accurate roadside signage; a vast improvement to what I had become used to on my previous model. There should be no excuse for being in the wrong lane at a complicated junction now.

The PC software included in the package (MapSource) I have been using for a number of years and is the backbone of my route planning. Downloading routes and way points to the 660 is still as easy, though it was here that I found the one thing that will bug me - you have to remove the battery cover to access the USB port.

I have only had the 660 for a few weeks with few opportunities to use it but I think this is going to be a very useful navigation aid that is easy for a motorcyclist to use.

Nimitz Class
Nimitz Class

4.0 out of 5 stars "Nimitz Class" - Kindle Edition, 1 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Nimitz Class (Kindle Edition)
As with Patrick Robinson's other submarine tales this one is a cracker - and the only one missing from my paperback collection I believe. It is the first in the series and is frequently referred to in his other stories. Having served in the RN Submarine Service myself I can find little to criticise when it comes to the underwater warfare scenarios.

My only gripe with the Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Wi-Fi, Graphite, 6" Display with New E Ink Pearl Technology edition is the number of typographical errors I've spotted. I quickly lost count of the number of times that the letter I was replaced with the number 1. There are many other similar errors; 'o' instead of 'c' and vice-versa for example which leads me to believe that some form of OCR (Optical Character Recognition) system was used to convert the manuscript for the Kindle - and poorly at that. This book was my first purchase for the Kindle and if this standard of transcription is a generic fault in eBooks then I am, to say the least, somewhat disappointed as the Kindle is otherwise an excellent piece of hardware.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting In Even Closer, 27 July 2010
When the box was delivered I was surprised at the weight and size of this lens, though I suppose I shouldn't have been; but the picture is a bit deceptive. It is, after all, the 35mm equivalent of a 140 - 600mm zoom lens.

I have now played around with this lens for about a month and I am impressed with the results - the optics are excellent and produce good, crisp images throughout the focal range. It certainly brings distant objects right up close and I have had some excellent results using the E-420 and this lens in macro mode - a bee the size of a house and you can count every hair.

I most certainly recommend this lens for the amateur wildlife photographer. I have yet to find an opportunity to use it for action/sports shots but I am confident that this lens will excel in that area too.

The only adverse comments I have are that focusing can be a touch slow and noisy when shifting from extremes of focus, but the manual focus option can overcome that to a degree either via the camera or the AF/MF switch on the lens itself. To avoid camera shake from the addition of this heavy lens to a camera body I would recommend using a solid tripod and, possibly, a remote control.

Highly recommended and within the pocket of most amateur or semi-pro photographers I would have thought. I have had Olympus equipment in the past and this certainly lives up to my expectations.

Archos Audio/Video Travel Cable for AV500
Archos Audio/Video Travel Cable for AV500

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential kit for recording video with a bullet camera but..., 25 Feb. 2009
I've been using the Archos AV500 / Archos AV500 30GB Pocket Video Recorder with MP3 for a couple of years primarily as an on-bike chase camera with a bullet camera either mounted on the bike or on my crash helmet and the results are excellent. The biggest problems has been keeping the AV500 free of shocks and stowing all that wiring!

Recently I have been having problems with the audio dropping out and I put this down to the multi-plug becoming somewhat less secure than I would like. I am just about to purchase another travel cable in the hope that it is the multi-plug rather than the socket causing the problem as this is the cheaper option to replacing the AV500 with the Archos 705 WiFi 80GB Portable Media Player 7" Touch Screen.