Profile for JBl > Reviews

Content by JBl

JBl

Page: 1 | 2
To Tame A Countess (Properly Spanked Book 2)
To Tame A Countess (Properly Spanked Book 2)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing - not my thing, 20 Nov. 2015
I enjoyed the first book in the series but this one was disappointing. Unlike the first book, this has more of a DD vibe with Warren firmly established as the head of the household and Josephine treated as a child who must obey. Where Townsend is trying to free Aurelia from her inhibitions, Warren is trying to quash Josephine's personality. More sensual spankings are mentioned but glossed over and discipline is brought to the fore. There's even off-stage discipline for Aurelia, which I don't think fits with the partnership Aurelia and Townsend had reached by the end of the first book. The idea that Warren has enjoyed CP for sexual reasons for many years while at the same time punishing his younger sister makes me very uncomfortable. It could be my perception as I wasn't enjoying the story, but I also felt that this book had been less carefully checked, with a lot of Americanisms and more modern dialogue slipping through.

Training Lady Townsend (Properly Spanked Book 1)
Training Lady Townsend (Properly Spanked Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun fantasy, 20 Nov. 2015
Aside from the erotic stuff, this is an interesting book if you're someone who's read Regency romances and thought: but what happens once the innocent girl is married to the rake? How can it possibly work? The book offers up a suggested version of how it could have worked. Lord Townsend is probably a bit of an anachronism as he recognises how unfair it is that ladies of quality were brought up to think that enjoying themselves was wrong, and wants to bring up his own daughters differently. However, this does make him likeable to a modern audience. He wants to mould Aurelia into his perfect wife and this involves awakening her sexual side, overcoming the sense of shame that's been bred into her and encouraging her to enjoy herself. He doesn't always go about it in the most pleasant of ways, but this gives both characters the chance to grow. The sexual and spanking scenes have been characterised by some reviewers as abuse, but I'd dispute this. Aurelia recognises right from the beginning that Townsend is spanking her for his pleasure, but it's not long before Townsend notices that it's turning her on too, and it's this that convinces him that "training" her is the way forward. Obviously this is not how you'd want your real-life husband to behave, but as a fantasy I don't think it crosses the line.

Osprey Kode 32 Hydration Pack
Osprey Kode 32 Hydration Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for snow sports, 18 Mar. 2015
I got this as a Christmas present and I love it. I can easily clip both of my children's scooters to the back of it, making them secure and easy to carry - really useful after dropping them at school or if we go somewhere where scooting isn't appropriate, but use the scooters to get there. I can even clip my 4 yo's balance bike to the back of it to carry it home after the school run. You can fit loads of things inside it - everything you need for a weekend away - and it has lots of useful pockets, including pockets on the waist for phone/purse/keys. Even fully laden it's so well balanced that it's comfortable to carry. The large back pocket is secure and easy to get into even if you've got scooters or a bike clipped to the front. I've got the green version and it's a really nice colour.

Puky 16 inch Kids bike ZL 16 alu Capitan Sharky 2016 childrens bike
Puky 16 inch Kids bike ZL 16 alu Capitan Sharky 2016 childrens bike
Offered by BIKESTER

5.0 out of 5 stars de) and it's perfect for his PE bag, 18 Feb. 2015
Fabulous, practical bike for a child. My 6 year old son loves it and rides it to school a couple of times a week. We also got the Puky back basket (from Amazon.de) and it's perfect for his PE bag.

150 Scandinavian Knitting Designs (Knitters Directory)
150 Scandinavian Knitting Designs (Knitters Directory)
by Mary Jane Mucklestone

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 18 Feb. 2015
Lovely book with tips on how to knit with more than one colour and patterns with charts that are easy to follow. I tried a couple of the patterns with the techniques in the book as a valentine's card and they came out really well.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Why The Chinese Don't Count Calories
Why The Chinese Don't Count Calories

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic flavours, 18 Feb. 2015
Interesting book which has really got me thinking about flavour combinations in a different way. The cabbage recipe is a favourite in my household, and with the flavour suggestions it's easy to create your own dishes. I haven't tried all the suggestions in the book by any means, but what I have tried has been excellent. The author's interest in and passion for Chinese cooking really come across in the text. It's packaged as a sort-of diet book, but it's not really- it's more about creating satisfying food.

Burley Rental Cub Bike Trailer with Flag Hitch - Green
Burley Rental Cub Bike Trailer with Flag Hitch - Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but worth it., 9 Nov. 2014
I bought this trailer to replace a much cheaper one that I'd had for a couple of years. My main requirement was that the trailer be really waterproof, as I use it in all weathers. This trailer is totally waterproof underneath as well as on top so my kids don't get wet either from the rain or from the water which splashes up from the road. I was also surprised at how much extra headroom there is compared to the cheap trailer. My children are a small 4 and 6 and i think that I'll be able to continue to use the trailer for them until they are old enough to cycle longer distances on their own. I was also pleasantly surprised by the amount of space in the boot. I wish I had bought a trailer like this in the first place rather than getting a cheap one first. I bought a Burley Classic Hitch with it and it fits to the bike quickly and easily.

Kahuna Unisex Digital Watch with LCD Dial Digital Display and Blue Silicone Strap KKD-0003F

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Kahuna watch, 15 Aug. 2014
Really cute and pretty watch. My only (small) gripe is that the date is displayed month/day and this can't be changed.

Basil Tivoli Junior Hook-On Handlebar Basket with Animal Motif - Black
Basil Tivoli Junior Hook-On Handlebar Basket with Animal Motif - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little basket., 7 July 2014
Ideal for my five-year-old son's bike. He loves having somewhere to put his things while cycling to school. It didn't seem quite stable so I velcroed it underneath to the front stem - but this will make it difficult if he wants to take it off and carry it around.

Hot Sex: How to Do It
Hot Sex: How to Do It

3.0 out of 5 stars Ups and downs, 7 July 2014
The first few chapters of this book are great with guides that are explicit and helpful and which get you thinking. However, it is let down by the "real life" quotes which all seem to be from people who are either very young or complete idiots, often both, and all of whom seem to have a very similar attitude (90s Cosmo) to sex. Given that the book is supposedly aimed at everyone, a wider range of perspectives would have been interesting. The last couple of chapters on long-term relationships are pretty useless for those of us with children, providing advice such as "have sex first thing in the morning at the weekend - then drag him back to bed an hour later". If only.

Page: 1 | 2