Profile for schisholm5 > Reviews

Content by schisholm5

schisholm5

Xbox LIVE 12 Month Gold Membership + £5 FREE Credit [Xbox Live Online Code] (Xbox 360/One)

5.0 out of 5 stars As described, best price online, 28 Dec. 2016
Instant email with link to digital content. Site included both codes, one for 12 month live gold membership, and one for instant £5 credit. All good, thanks!

Lumie Bodyclock ACTIVE 250 Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock with Extra Audio Options
Lumie Bodyclock ACTIVE 250 Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock with Extra Audio Options

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product - see note re losing time HOW TO FIX, 31 May 2013
I originally bought a Lumie Bodyclock 250 in November 2012.
I absolutely loved the product, particularly with the way it both helps you get to sleep (sunset function) and wake up gradually (sunrise function).
I also liked the little details - e.g. the fact that you can set the volume levels separately for the radio alarm and for just playing the radio socially during the day.

What I didn't like was the fact that it apparently didn't keep very good time - it was always losing time, and never gaining.

I left a 3* review on the Lumie website as a result of the poor timekeeping, and was contacted the same day by Doug from the technical team at Lumie.
Over a series of weeks and several conversations and trial runs, we figured out what the issue was, and it's this :
If you e.g. change the alarm time, and then use the main middle menu button to skip through all the menu options before it cycles back to its "neutral" state you will have inadvertently reset the seconds to 00 seconds.
I.e. as you skip past the "set time" (not set alarm) menu option, the software is set up such that it assumes you have reset the time and hence resets the seconds back to 00. So every time you do this you can lose up to a maximum of 59 seconds (and on average 30 seconds per time) - hence why it always loses time and never gains.
As I get up at different times on different days, I was resetting the alarm and skipping through menu options 2 or 3 times a week, which is why I easily found it losing 10 minutes in 4 weeks...

So - the very simple solution to solve the timekeeping problem is in 4 parts :
1/ on the day you get the unit, set all your preferences up once and for all using all the different menu items
2/ set the time (after doing step 1 and not the other way round)
3/ if and when you need to set the alarm time, reset the alarm and then just wait 12 seconds for the unit to revert back to its neutral state - do not cycle through all the menu options to get back to normal operating mode
4/ if you do ever need to change any of the later menu functions (e.g. security or language settings etc) make sure you reset the time accurately afterwards as otherwise you may find you have lost up to 59 seconds

Since my communication with Doug @ Lumie, new software has been developed and rolled out to all new units which fixes the problem - so the time now only resets to zero if you actually change the time (using the + or - buttons on the set time menu). If you just skip past without setting the time, it will no longer reset to 00 seconds.

That is what I call great customer service and taking on board and responding to customer feedback!

Great job Lumie and great job Doug!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2015 9:48 AM GMT

Killing Share (Michael Fielding Book 1)
Killing Share (Michael Fielding Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story, poorly written and edited, 12 Sept. 2012
As the title of my review states, I found this book a good read, but was frequently irritated by the way in which the story was written, as well as many grammatical errors (down to poor editing I assume.)
The main irritation for me was the incorrect usage of "its" vs "it's" - often wrong in the book.
If I can spot the errors, then surely a 'professional' writer / editor ought to be able to spot them too - maybe I should offer up my services as a proof reader?
The writing style reminded me a little bit of Lee Child in the way he uses short, blunt sentences using often colloquial language, like a stream of thought processes rather than structured sentences - but then I'm not a fan of Lee Child either!