Profile for phil-g > Reviews

Content by phil-g

phil-g

ASUS M80TA-DL001H 8.0-inch VivoTab Note 8 Tablet (Intel Atom Z3740 1.33GHz Processor, 2GB RAM, 32GB eMMC, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, Webcam, Built-in Speaker, Microphone, Touch Screen, Windows 8.1)

4.0 out of 5 stars great tablet I'm sure but f***ing S***e AWFUL WINDOWS O/S, 12 Feb. 2014
SEE UPDATE BELOW FOR ANSWERS TO INITIAL COMMENTS
................................................

mY EXPECTATIONS HAVE JUST BEEN RUINED BY MICROS***E taking over everything. I am MORE than computer literate but as a first experience of Windows 8 with no explanations and one page user guide that only tells you how to switch it on I feel like throwing the whole thing in the bin. THIS IS MY first MICROSOFT WIN 8 EXPERIENCE. everything I dont want.

Unless you are already familiar with and like the new all done for you icons for idiots we know what you want media experience intrusion....do yourself a favour and buy windows 8 for dummies first, and after studying thoroughly, see if you even want to go there.

It is so counter-intuitive I can understand why its hated so much.

WINDOWS OFFICE AND ONE NOTE ???????? WHERE?
The pen tip is 1/4 inch off from activation point which makes the concession in 8.1 to a desktop experience on this scale nearly void.

If I cant adjust this offputting difference between stylus point location and screen location whats the wacom digitizer good for, the reason bought this.

Try look in programs folder.. dont have permission????????? its my tablet

Search for office there, its there, setup, am I supposed to install it? Am I suppose to set it up myself? No help at all. Cant find a programs menu. I'll find out more before do anything I might regret.

ONENOTE, supposedly installed and another reason for buying, search - no items match.
WHERE IS THE PROMISED ONENOTE??

I've got up to a week to send this back. It'll probably take that long to see if this thing can come halfway to fullfilling its promises. If not stick with a laptop and windows seven.

THIS SUCKS ROYALLY. MICROSOFT HAVE DONE it again - WORSE EVEN THAN VISTA WITH THIS.

IN FACT its time to SERIOUSLY LOOK AT APPLE OR LINUX, I already use firefox with no problems compared to microsofts bloatware alternative.

Why do these geeks have to ruin working software with features no one uses or wants (more selling points when they run out of real improvments for the next must have editions), or else simplify the interface to the incomprehensible with no control, treating us like morons!

I'm sure the media savvy youth with their touchpad phones and tweetings and entetainment needs might find this usable but the best thing I've found so far is the off switch, the only way I've so far found of navigating out of microsofts stores or whatever, I'm sure they just want to maximise your buying experience, as well as track your browsing habits so they can bombard you with a more presonalised selling oportunity for themselves.

INSIDIOUS PROGRAM THROUGH AND THROUGH.
No wonder it is so hated.

Trust microsoft to want to deprive you of control of your experience and they won't dissapoint you there. Want something you can use - go elsewhere.

I will now give it yet some more of my precious time to relearnig everything I know so far about computers just to see if it can deliver anything close to the reason for buying it. Maybe I can install win7 buy onenote as it doesn't seem to be here, and start all over from scratch.

I wanted it for handwriting recognion to editable text purposes, on the fly using onenote and journal. I will have to update on this. First I will need to find info online on my old machine on how to use as none is supplied, and see if penpoint location can be reset as it invalidates use for navigating the small icons and menus and the possible handwriting functionality.

BE WARNED. If its a tablet you want for superficial needs its ONE alternative, for anything else its got to be a compromise, I have just got to spend time finding out just how much of one.

Hope this is helpful to those who are contemplating the change to this device for the same reasons.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

UPDATE 14/02/14.

I have left my original rant as is but uprated the star rating (from one)as the tablet deserves it, BUT I STICK BY MY FRUSTRATION WITH MICROSOFT and the lack of any written instructions beyond 'press the power button'. NO printed instructions, NO hint of there being an Asus manual....loaded.... in apps. Just pages of safety and legal stuff, nothing useful. Rediculous omission.

Having no experience of tablets or touch screens and not having a mobile phone this is all new to me. However having had a couple of days to play with there are some additional things to add.

First I did not sign up for a microsoft accout but did set up a personal account on setup, just to get in. I was able to do away with password after as I didn't want to put that in each time I switched on, but as far as can see am stuck with the name.

Having setup I found the progams, now called apps, not without problems, easy once you know how that is, having dicovered them incidently by a simple upswipe from the start screen which I knew nothing about, though of course its fully illustrated in the app come manual once you know there IS one, and HOW to find it.

Having found the APPS I then found the Asus Instruction manual that told me how to use the machine, including finding said apps and manual.

Office is there and a key is supplied in package to activate.

Onenote is there but you need a microsoft account to use it. You can do this anytime so no need to do so on setup.

The stylus can be calibrated to the screen to bring inline. I did this through MS Journal/tools/options-other tab/tablet settings/calibrate/pen input - and follow instructions putting PEN TIP on cross marks, not the point on screen itself representing the pen, its that you want to bring inline with physical pentip.

This is NOT in the manual, but it is needed.

Doing that however doesn't line the touchpoint with pen on the actual jounal page so line when writing is offset some from tip, which have to ignore as not found out how to alter, if possible. Pen does align for menus etc though now, so more accurate for such where before it was very hit or miss, and the menu text size can be altered, I changed the miniscule 9 set to 15, to make easier to quickly and accurately access, including with finger, but can be set larger still. Very necessary for the visually challanged.

There is no way to customise the toolbar as in add a convert to text button, so easier menu use is absolutely required.

Handwriting to editable text being my main purpose I have to say that journal is EXCELLENT in this function and set up, so conversion as it appears for edit comes up in its own window but can be set to also be copied automatically to the clipboard ready to paste into your text editor of choice. This is so much better and direct than any previous experiences with other devices as outlined below.

THIS IS THE bY far the BEST WAY I HAVE FOUND SO FAR of doing this, having tried a staetdler pen and pickup, which is quite good under optimum conditions, used in combination with MyScript ink retriever to capture notes, for text conversion in MyScript notes studio edition.

This was good at best but liable to problems with lines over note of writing, and the writing image dissapearing off the edge of the page, which in the end was more trouble correcting than typing up directly from straight written notes.

Aiptek tablet was ok until pen packed up, but same problems. Neither came close to the functionality of THIS tablet, the wacom pen and digitiser, and the programs conversion capability. Apart from the offset from penpoint to page line, this is all I hoped for from my first experience, so I expect it to get better with familiarity.

It works for me using my natural handwriting but cannot say it would work for others if more extreme. For this alone though I am pleased with the purchase and would give Journal 4.5 stars. Would have liked the customisable toolbar and written line following pen exactly in journal, made allowable (unless I'm missing something). That would be five star.

I did manage to get rid of the highly frustrating tip screen message attatched to left side of screen stating the obvious while sitting on TOP of program windows and all other functions blocking access to the screen below and thereby making funtions all but useless.

How I did get rid of it eventually after trying and lots of searching online I do not know how, it finally went. The method I didn't want to try as given online involved going to the registry and making changes there, a very complex and highly dubious practice just to get rid of a stupid annoying maddening unneccessary and totally frustrating 'TIP'. This it woud seem has caused no end of bad experiences for newcomers to windows 8 along with problems from trying to get fix it.

One the hint is not needed where others WOULD HAVE been more useful, and two why not allow users to be able to SIMPLY REMOVE it. Nothing in the manual about that.

The start screen is nicely customisable once you know how but I still think a lot of geeks at micro-S tried to compromise on a new format just to have a new system to sell as soon as possible, just like with Vista, before it was fully fit for purpose and thought through.

That said having got more familiar with it I think the actual tablet is a delight, and for my purposes I would give five stars, just on the basis of my hand to text writing experience WHICH it IS LIMITED to.
..........................................

I have not set up wifi, tried bluetooth or other elements most would use it for so I still cannot reccomend on these matters as I have no experience there. I just wish there had been a simple set of printed instuction to get me into the fuller setup instructions in the apps manual, instead of the useless user guide supplied, which was all about telling you not to clean your new device in the washing machine and typical legal stuff.

How much does it take to put in just a simple one liner like:

'There is an full Asus Instruction Manual for your tablet installed in applications, flick up from the bottom of start screen to access'.

It would have saved a hell of a lot of frustration.

Even with the my limited familiarity with the handwriting to text functionality, my reason for buying this particular tablet, the experience justifies the purchase. I'm sure that the rest when needed will also prove as useful in time.

Hope this is more helpful.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2014 1:12 PM BST

Daler Foamboard 5mm - A4 White x 20
Daler Foamboard 5mm - A4 White x 20
Offered by Crafty Arts

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT SENT FULL NUMBER, 21 Oct. 2013
REFERENCE IMPORTANT
SELLER:From Foamboard Warehouse Otherwise,
"BOXES AND BOARDS - Amazon Marketplace"

Product fine, ONLY SENT 19 of 20. 1 star Feedback is for sellers response below.

I apologise for the shortage of one sheet of A4 5mm.
We buy these in in 20s and do not open the boxes before sending to you.
I will take this up with the supplier to understand more about how this happened.
We sell over 1000 boxes of this size per year without problems.
If you need extra stock then I will with pleasure send extra for free.
otherwise I do not think sending you one sheet will be possible without damage.
Sorry once again for the trouble caused.

My response:
This is your reply?
I don't need more and if I did why should I buy from someone who's only
answer to being sold short is buy more. And as to 'We sell over 1000 boxes
of this size per year without problems' you mean as far as YOU know' given
all this crap I now am persuing wasting my precious time informing you and
getting this response over a 50p item.

Why would anyone bother, except perhaps me, there could be many more who
will go elsewhere next time and you wouldn't even KNOW, so that is no excuse
or argument. As for customer feedback there is no way I could recommend, aS
you didn't even consider a token refund as a possible resolution. Yours, buy
more or forget it. Well I won't.

What if it where 2 or 3, could they send those without damage?
WHAT A LAME RESPONSE.

So I'm one short and must put up with it is what they are saying.
As only one customer of a thousand, I don't matter obviously
neither will you if you are the unfortunate one.

AVOID THIS SELLER!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2014 3:20 PM GMT

Beside the Ocean of Time
Beside the Ocean of Time
by George Mackay Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 8 Sept. 2013
An enjoyable read. If you like Mackay check out Fiona Macleod/Williamsharp whose word imagery is most beautiful an inspired several paintings they are so evocative.

A Calendar of Love and Other Stories
A Calendar of Love and Other Stories
by George Mackay Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 8 Sept. 2013
Like the short stories along with poems. If you like this you will love the writings of Fiona Macleod - William Sharp (Sin eaters, History of the Gaels etc), now in reprint.

Sir John Betjeman's Banana Blush
Sir John Betjeman's Banana Blush

1.0 out of 5 stars A loud annoying music CD, 14 July 2012
THIS IS A MUSIC CD with betjamen supplying the lyrics as an afterthought. Who ever produced this should be shot for desecration. It does get a bit better on some tracks but poor old Betjamin can be barely heard as he's often completely swamped out by the really annoying music. I AM SO ANGRY. The musical accompanyment is about three times the volume it should be and is so dramatic and overpowering. How they ever thought it added to the poetry??? This is one I won't be listening to very often if ever again. Like the cd, it has nothing to do with Betjamin, just some producers over inflated ego and bad taste. There are some good bits, when the backgrond music is just that, but not often.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 13, 2014 5:04 PM BST

Silverline 264569 - 1200W 180mm (7") DIY Sander Polisher 230V
Silverline 264569 - 1200W 180mm (7") DIY Sander Polisher 230V

4.0 out of 5 stars Like it., 18 Jan. 2011
Generaly feels good to handle, and with the adjustable speed find it an excellent addition to my tools. Very useful and versatile! Seems good value at price.

OCZ Vertex 2 90GB SATA II 2.5-inch Internal Solid State Drive
OCZ Vertex 2 90GB SATA II 2.5-inch Internal Solid State Drive

4.0 out of 5 stars Win 7 fast as expect, 18 Jan. 2011
Put widows 7 on after installed. Everything stright forward. Encountered no problems. Boot up to desktop in about 22 seconds with quadcore+8gb ram. Only thing is with image files stored on two mirrored 1Tb drives is that with larger (stitched) images it can take some time to appear in Win7 image viewer, as with thumbnails where many images in a folder.

I have loads of images, fine as is for working with any stored on ssd and saving after to 1tb for final storage, but for looking for particular images amongst the many folders already stored might prove faster with os on same drive because of the delay in thumbs showing pics, etc.

Find that frustrating, though programs respond superfast, working times not increased by having them on ssd so far as my stitching prog goes. Early days.
Would be great for response to images/viewing stored on ssd, but limited size to price beyond the ordinary pocket.

What would be more useful as Its installed 64bit os would be to have true 64 bit versions of my software. As it is I have no problems multitasking, but as to individual processing times for my image work, most of my hardware is redundant due to said limitations imposed by software. Something to bear in mind before lashing out on multicores, ram, and solidstate drives, thinking it will increase your workflow.

George Grosz: The Artist in His Society (Barrons Pocket Size Art Series)
George Grosz: The Artist in His Society (Barrons Pocket Size Art Series)
by Uwe M. Schneede

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkably good little book., 18 Jan. 2011
For the price and size I was very pleasantly surprised, not only with the written coverage but with the illustrations on just about every other page, mostly line drawings which I am particularly interested in.

I admit as an artist I mostly like looking at the pictures of other artists work, more than reading about them. With this you have both.

All round a surprisingly good little book well worth getting for anyone interested in Grosz, and with illustrations of line work I had not seen elsewhere in other books I'd looked at. Also has six colour plates.

Recommend as one to refer back to and browse often, even after having read it through.

Franz Xaver Messerschmidt
Franz Xaver Messerschmidt
by Antonia Bostrom

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book rich in illustrations., 17 Jan. 2011
As a connoisseur of quality art books, I rate this 5 star for all round quality, replete with excellent high quality photographic images on most of its 200+ pages, many full page size. This book is probably the best example of this artists work, concentrating mainly on his character heads.

I am well pleased. This is a very good quality, highly cherished addition, to my art book collection.

If you find this artists work interesting, (there are some good sites online for research), then you will like this book.

Microsoft Windows 7 In Depth
Microsoft Windows 7 In Depth
by Robert Cowart

2.0 out of 5 stars not much cop, 17 Jan. 2011
Got this as moved from XP straight to Win 7 ultimate and went on reviews. Should have waited for the reserved copy of windows 7 for dummies from the local library, which is much more to the point with stuff you want to know.

W7 in deapth seems to cover in deapth all the basic stuff that is largely irelevent to anyone familiar with xp, but when it comes to other information like libraries you barely get a confusung chapter, to explain how it functions relevant to your existing files.

Save your money and just search online for clearer answers to those areas unfamiliar to you, if you are already familiar with previous windows operating systems.