Profile for David Jackson > Reviews

Content by David Jackson

David Jackson (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The railway history of Lincoln (Second edition)
The railway history of Lincoln (Second edition)
by J.G. & Pearson, R.E. Ruddock

5.0 out of 5 stars Very detailed account of railways in Lincoln, good for rail enthusiasts and more general readers with an interest in the area., 26 Mar. 2017
My father had the original version of this book, but it fell apart hence my brother buying this edition which I came across when we cleared his house after his sudden and unexpected passing. Somehow we lost the book, so I sought it out on the 'net and have received a copy in an "off the shelf" condition, with the dealer accurately describing each mark, though they total up to effectively "new" condition. Reading through, the book is full of detail, probably more appreciated by a bigger railway "fan" than me, but better too much than too litle information. The book stops at 1985, but the railway in Lincoln hasn't changed that much since then so it's still a worthy read for anyone with an interest in the area and it's railways.
Book arrived well packed and earlier than expected and, as I said, in almost "as new" condition (the small scuff on the dust jacket is no worse than many books I have bought as new) so I'm well impressed with the service.

Parker Urban Ballpoint Pen, Night Sky Blue with Medium Point Blue Ink Refill, 1931581

3.0 out of 5 stars What have you done Parker ???, 5 Jan. 2017
This seems top be the first review from someone who wasn't provided with this pen for free so please bear that in mind if my opinions don't match those.

I bought this to replace a lost Urban pen (of the old design), not realising just how much Parker had changed the design. The old Urban used to be a chunky, heavy pen, made of laquer coted brass and chrome/steel, with some having etchings directly into the metal barrel. It was pretty well made for a budget pen and the bullet type shape sat nicely in the hand. They cost £10 - £15 and were good value for money.

This one is somewhat different - it seems to be all plastic (though the barrel might be laquer coated brass - it doesn't really feel it). It's replaced the twist mechanism with a pressed metal button (i.e. cheap) and the previous metalic nose section is now black plastic. The curves are still there, but it's not as curvy as the old model. You can tell there's far less metal as it weights much less than the original pen. The finish isn't to Parker's usual standard (there's gaps round the clip for example) and signs of cost cutting abound.

This wouldn't be so bad, but, along with a reduction in the metal content (or increase in plastic content if you prefer), Parker have moved this definitely away from budget pricing as it's now doubled to around £30.

While the blue is a nice colour and the feel is okay I feel this would be over priced at half the price - it's very similar to the old (budget) Vector range and appears to be made of less costly materials than the much cheaper IM range.

So, a big thumbs down all round. My advice would be to look at other pens - there are many that'll give the same writing experience, of equal or better material quality and a lower price.

3 Stars as it writes well and looks pretty in blue. 2 Stars for the more dreary colours.

Anker® USB 3.0 Card Reader 8-in-1 for SDXC, SDHC, SD, MMC, RS-MMC, Micro SDXC, Micro SD, Micro SDHC Card, Support UHS-I Cards, 18 Months Warranty
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Well finished, fast USB 3.0 SD card reader with no fuss., 18 Sept. 2015
It's small, neat, looks good and does what it says on the packet !
The Anker USB 3 card reader plugs into a USB 3.0 port (or 2.0, but you'll only get USB 2 speeds) and provides one micro SD card slot and one SD card slot (also suitable for SD varients such as SDHC). It's around the size of a man's thumb so isn't too big to take with you wherever you take your laptop/tablet, or it can be left inserted into a USB hub or port on a desktop PC, though, depending on the design of the machine, it may partially block the adjacent socket - using an Anker 4 port hub with the reader in the right most slot leaves 3 free ports; using a Belkin equivalent blocks the adjacent port so leaves only 2 available ports.
Data transfer is noticably much faster than with USB 2 (I don't have reliable data rate measuring tools to give figures), loading 300 raw files (24MBish) in less than a minute, verses over 5 on USB 2.
The device works well, looks smart in a piano-black finish (far smarter than the price suggests) and is low cost for the perceived quality. Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 pick it up quickly - it adds two drives in Windows (File) Explorer. I haven't tried it with other operating systems.

5 Stars.

Expert Shield *Lifetime Guarantee* - THE Crystal Clear Screen Protector for: Pentax K-3
Offered by Expert Shield

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Protector which installs as described - quickly, easily and no air bubbles., 18 Sept. 2015
I bought a new camera just before going on holiday so improvised a screen protector by cutting down one I had for an iPhone - which worked well, but wouldn't stay stuck down at the edges. On return I saw this Expert Shield protector, which cost less than the iPhone one, and several cheaper ones. My experience with cheaper protectors hasn't been good so I ordered the Expert Shield.
The product comes in minimal packaging (good!) with comprehensive instructions, which are written with a degree of humour (so you might actually take in the detail) and stress the importance of having a dust free surface and practising placing the protector first to give a better chance of attaching it correctly first time.
The protector itself has protective layers on top and bottom - you remove the lower layer, exposing the sticky surface, apply, smooth out the bubbles with a credit card, then, when happy, remove the top protective surface. Sounds easy and it was ! I gave the screen a good clean with a microfibre cloth, then did as instructed - in around 20 seconds I had the protector attached, with no dust trapped underneath and no air bubbles. Unlike my improvised protector it was firmly attached right to the edges. Also provided is a protector for the LCD display on the top of the camera - this took around another 10 seconds to fit.
The Expert Shield protector is difficult to detect when in place - it seems to have a minimal effect (if any) on viewing of the screen - the colours are still bright, the picture, and text, clear, just as you'd want. Optically it's a big step up from the improvised protector (which was a "premium" iPhone protector cut down) which I hadn't expected, so it's a big thumbs up for Expert Shield from me.
Expert Shield tell you that if you get dust under the protector when applying it to remove it with sticky tape - this works (on all protectors) and is a tip well worth remembering.
There is a comprehensive guarantee on the protector, which I haven't had to test out and Expert Shield claim a high level of customer service. While I haven't had to contact them with a problem, they did email me to see if I'd got problems with the shield's installation, so it's a claim I am happy to believe.

All in all £7.95 well spent and a happy customer. 5 stars.

(Pentax K3 II camera - uses same shield as K3)

Seagate ST2000DM001 2TB SATA III Performance Hard Disk Drive
Seagate ST2000DM001 2TB SATA III Performance Hard Disk Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Good disk, poor packaging, 23 Dec. 2013
Along with many other reviewers, I found the packaging of this disk to be barely adequate - the disk was wrapped in a layer of bubble wrap and placed in a cardboard box (with the brand name "Optimum Packaging" - which it certainly wasn't in this case). This was then held in a larger Amazon box by crushed brown paper - this absorbs more shock than many think so it isn't as bad as it looks - providing that the product can't roll around in the box. Luckily this one didn't.

As to the disk - it's standard Seagate fare - it's mostly quite in operation, with the over-riding noise being a mains harmonic hum and it seems reasonably fast to very fast, depending on what it's doing (and, most likely, whether the cache contains the next data it is asked for). As usual with a 2GB disk formatted free space is around 1.8TB.

I cloned my previous disk to it with Acronis True Image in around 30 minutes and fitting took another 30 seconds. For those without a cloning tool, a Seagate custom version of True Image is available from Seagate's web site.

I loaded up the Seagate tools, which showed no errors (and, nearly two weeks later, still don't, neither do I expect them to) and revealed a firmware update was available, which I applied. I can't say that I've noticed any change with the new firmware, but the process was simple enough. There are some who say that this disk needs its firmware updating to stop a clicking noise (when retracting the head and going into power saving mode I think). I can't comment on that as I wasn't experiencing any clicking.

All in all a good drive at a good price, with disappointing packaging. The 5 star rating is for the disk only as packaging may vary.

Cable Matters Gold Plated DisplayPort to DisplayPort Cable 2 Metres
Cable Matters Gold Plated DisplayPort to DisplayPort Cable 2 Metres
Offered by Cable Matters

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value cable., 23 Dec. 2013
As others have said this is a good value, well made cable.

This has replaced a DVI connection between my PC and monitor and I have had no issues. In fact, better than that, it is sturdy, but doesn't remember the coil it had in the pocket - it straightened out immediately which I wish all cables would do. The plugs are of the locking variety (this is mentioned in the cable spec, but at the bottom) meaning the plugs won't accidentally come loose when moving the monitor, but, being a push type lock they are much easier to remove than the screw in DVI (and VGA) plugs on their respective cables.

I can't think of a reason to remove any stars, so it's also a five star review from me.

Inateck Mini Portable 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub with 5V 4A Power Adapter - Support Windows XP 7/8, Mac OS X 10.8.4 or above, Linux [4ft USB 3.0 Cable]

3.0 out of 5 stars Sits in the middle, 18 Dec. 2013
This USB 3.0 hub is an oddity - it's compact, but not compact enough to throw in a bag (with it's heavy power supply) without missing the space and noticing the weight; it looks space saving, but with 6 plugs in it (including the input cable and power supply) it actually requires a lot of desk space and it's neither very good nor bad as a result.

Positively, it's a USB 3.0 hub and does achieve the transfer speeds associated with the standard when connected to relevant devices; it looks well made and well finished; it has a light per input to show when they are in use and the sockets hold inserted plugs firmly.

The bad: it's quite lightweight so tends to tip up when the physical socket load isn't "balanced" - you end up removing plugs and trying a different socket to try to prevent this and my biggest grumble - the design looks as though it's space saving, but with all ports in use it takes up a lot of space with plugs sticking out of every side, and their associated cables snaking across the desk. A device using the more conventional line up of ports on one side takes up less overall space.

Summing up, if you have the desk space for this, it'll serve you well (try a little blue tac (or similar) to hold it down) and is reasonable value. If you want a portable hub, this almost fits the bill - it's pretty lightweight, however the power unit is too big and heavy to make you want to carry it everywhere.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2014 4:31 PM GMT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, shiney and marvelous, 16 Dec. 2013
I bought an Ankher unpowered hub to connect my PC to an external Seagate 2TB drive and a couple of other devices. As the other devices had a low power requirement and the Seagate disk has its own power supply I initially went for an unpowered hub as I thought that would be sufficient. I was wrong; it seems that my PC was unable to provide enough current to drive the hub with a high powered device connected (even though, as I said, that device has its own power supply).

Anker recommended that I should use a powered hub and supplied me with one of these 4 port units. It's small, with a good quality gloss black finish with a blue LED to show when a port is in use. The ports feel substantial and grip inserted plugs well (they also have the USB 3.0 standard blue tongue for easy identification). The ports are lined up on the front edge of the unit, with the rear having sockets for the USB 3.0 input (cable supplied - around 1 meter long) and for power - to this end a small power supply unit is supplied, which feels sturdy enough to survive being carted around in a bag with a laptop, etc.

Windows 8.1 picked up the device within a few seconds and the Seagate disk, when connected also took a few seconds to be recognised first time around. This time, unlike with the unpowered hub, the drive was correctly identified. I performed a full disk backup (using True Image 2013), which took around 1 hour 55. Previously, with USB 2.0, this had taken around 5 hours so I am much impressed by the extra turn of speed USB 3.0 gives, and that this hub correctly identifies the relevant standard and switches accordingly.

All in all, a very good buy which does what it says on the box.

My experience with Anker's customer service was exemplary so I'm happy to recommend this, and their other devices to friends, and give it a good review here.

To sum up - if you need a USB 3.0 hub, think carefully before buying an unpowered one - if you are connecting higher powered devices, even if they have their own power supply, buy a powered hub. If you only need 4 ports, this hub is an excellent choice.

kenable USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Extension Cable Type A Male to Female BLUE 1m Short
kenable USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Extension Cable Type A Male to Female BLUE 1m Short

5.0 out of 5 stars It's USB 3 and it's blue !, 9 Dec. 2013
USB 3.0 sockets have a blue "tongue" to distinguish them from USB 2.0 sockets, hence having a blue cable for an external USB 3.0 device seemed a good idea so I could easily spot it round the back of the PC in the gloom, preventing me from wasting a USB 3.0 socket on a USB 2.0 device.

This one wasn't expensive, feels well made, grips attached plugs tightly and works as expected. What more is there to say ? Excellent value.

Anker USB 3.0 4-Port Hub with a Built-in 1ft USB 3.0 Cable for Laptops, Ultrabooks and Tablet PCs with USB Ports Backward Compatible with USB 2.0 & Support Windows 8/ 7/ Vista/ XP, Mac OS X 10.8.4

4.0 out of 5 stars Smart looking device - not compatible with my PC/peripherals, 9 Dec. 2013
This hub looks smart and well made, with a piano style gloss black finish and a (very short) captive lead for connection to a laptop - if using with a desktop you'll probably need an extension cable unless you're happy to let it dangle behind the PC. There's a light confirming it's powered up in the latest favourite colour of blue. It's fairly bright.

The hub was instantly detected by my Windows 8.1 PC and the relevant driver loaded, however when connecting a Seagate Backup Plus drive the drive was detected in device manager, but the contents couldn't be accessed. The event log is full of related errors and warnings about user mode driver crashes. This also prevented access to all external drives, not just those connected to this hub; the driver crash wasn't just affecting the Seagate USB disk.

Following the advice on the vendor's website didn't help so I can only assume it's incompatible with either the Seagate USB circuit or the Intel chipset on my motherboard, whichever I don't care - it's not working for me so I returned it for a refund.

So, the bottom line is that you may find this works for you and meets your needs, in which case you'll probably rate it as 4 or 5 stars, or you'll find it incompatible, like me. If you do, my advice is to return it rather than try messing around trying to get it to work.

UPDATE: Since returning the hub, Anker have been in contact with me, suggesting I use a powered hub - one of which they provided me with [Anker® Uspeed USB 3.0 4-Port Hub with 12V 2A Power Adapter and 3ft USB 3.0 Cable [VIA VL812 Chipset]. I can confirm that the Seagate drive was able to work correctly with the powered hub, suggesting that my PC can't deliver enough power via it's USB 3.0 ports to drive a non-powered hub when it has a higher powered device connected, even though that device has it's own power supply.

I've amended the score on this review to reflect my thoughts on this hub bearing in mind that it wasn't suitable for my requirements. I will reiterate my comment that, if in doubt about what you are connecting, buy a powered hub. If you don't need a powered hub, this one appears to be of good quality and worth recommending. Updated score, 4 stars (it loses one for the short cable). Anker customer service - 5 stars !!!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2013 9:08 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2