Profile for AER1 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Epicloud
Epicloud

5.0 out of 5 stars Bonkers approach to music but so refreshing!, 22 April 2017
This review is from: Epicloud (Audio CD)
The usual full variety of music styles from DT, from operatic voice to metal growls and the addition of Anneke's vocals makes a huge difference. Not really a bad track for me. I'm a relatively new convert to DT via Anneke but I find him to be an acceptable face of metal, which hitherto I've not really liked so much, as a Prog fan of 40+ years. His bonkers approach to music is refreshing and at times mind blowing. A great listen.

Addicted
Addicted

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh how pleased am I to have discovered this man !, 22 Mar. 2017
This review is from: Addicted (Audio CD)
Only just purchased this CD having got into DTP in the past 6 months courtesy of the two live Blue Rays. Both are a visual and sonic fest! As a long time Prog Rock fan and not really into Metal as much, certainly not the growling vocals, I was sceptical when told to view/listen.
Fabulous melodic metal, rock, pop, prog, song writing, thought provoking and above all fun! Vocals which cover from the growls to opera tones and don't get me started on the sublime Anneke, who I've listened to since hearing her backing vocals on John Wetton's Icon project. Decided to purchase some of the CDs to see how they transpose from the live stage setting and they don't disappoint. I'm gradually catching up on the back catalogue but don't think I'll buy them all, as You tube experiments reveal some better than others but over all a great new find for me. Even at 57, it's good to hear there's good stuff about, Haken, Frost, Riverside etc. Keep it up Devin you are a breath of fresh air to a money orientated industry and i bet your sons so proud of his Dad, the look on his face at the end of the RAH live concert says it all!

The Retinal Circus [Blu-ray]
The Retinal Circus [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Devin Townsend Project

5.0 out of 5 stars A great watch!, 28 Jan. 2017
This live DVD is just an audio and visual assault on the senses. It shows Devins fun but serious approach to music and his intention to put on a show. As a Prog rock fan more than a metal fan I wasn't sure if I'd like it but his music transcends many genres and whilst heavy in the main , it retains melody. Personally I feel the addition of Anneke's voice to the music is sensational! To hear those angelic tones over a soaring metal riff is wonderful. A great watch and impressed me so much that I bought the Royal Albert Hall Blue ray and intend to add much more DTP to my collection.

Southern Empire (CD/DVD pack)
Southern Empire (CD/DVD pack)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not of Unitopian standard but okay overall., 6 April 2016
Being a long time Unitopia fan, I was looking forward to this CD/DVD. Having also got the UPF album I hoped it wouldn't disappoint. The writing whilst good is not of the same consistent calibre as Unitopia albums, in my humble opinion. There are stand out parts but it has a distinctly more American AOR flavour, with some jazz, world themes dotted about. Think Toto and on the whole that's the flavour, not that theres anything wrong with it but not as strong as previous Timms efforts. The UPF album is more consistent. In general I think I feel Timms writing is completely suited to Trueys vocals and whilst there's nothing inherently wrong with the vocals on this CD , it's more musical theatre'ish than rock. However, some of the stand out sections are the guitar solos which are excellent and help to make an average track into a better one, How Long's intro being a prime example. Speaking of which, if a true comparison between UPF and SE were needed then this track shows the UPF version to be far superior, guitar intro excepted. Sorry to be downbeat about this album but it just doesn't do it for me like the Unitopia back catalogue. Having said all that, if you haven't heard Unitopia or UPF then this is a good album overall and may give you the encouragement to do so, rest assured you won't be disappointed that way round, as I was this way round. Sorry but Timms and Truey need to put their differences aside and work together again and produce more of what they did hitherto. The DVD is good value and gives a nice insight into the bands recording process and also shows the intricacies of their playing, often missed in the purely audio versions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 25 Feb. 2016
This review is from: 25 (Audio CD)
Fab, Adele does it again!

House Number Sign/Plaque Brushed Aluminium & Acrylic by Custom GOS6569 (Made in UK)
Offered by UK Sign Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 25 Feb. 2016
Didn't really know what to expect but when it arrived the quality was great and certainly good value for the money. Ours is fixed outside our apartment door so it isn't open to the elements.

What We Ask Is Where We Begin: The Songs For Days Sessions
What We Ask Is Where We Begin: The Songs For Days Sessions

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a useful addition to appreciate the gradual evolution of their music, 22 Feb. 2016
I bought this CD to complete my recently acquired SH collection, together with the live DVD . It's a useful addition to appreciate the gradual evolution of their music. The first CD is older music and as such is much less complex and interesting as more recent material but still pleases in its own right. The second CD is more akin to recent music and far more progressive and interesting. Their more recent offerings are, in my humble opinion, much stronger musically and lyrically and some of my favourite stuff of recent years. It would be better for a new SH listener to hear these CDs first and move on to more recent ones, to fully appreciate how good their new stuff is. I too can't wait for more new material, having unfortunately been deprived of my first live taste of SH when the Mini tour gigs were cancelled, I need my SH fix! This older offering doesn't quite fulfil the need.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2016 10:04 PM GMT

Restoration EP
Restoration EP

5.0 out of 5 stars Future classic Prog, 1 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Restoration EP (Audio CD)
Haken go from strength to strength with this EP. Only three tracks but all well worth a listen, especially track 3 Crystallised which may prove to be a Prog classic. As a long time GG fan this track has more GG influences than you can shake a stick at. The musicianship from them is first class throughout. I thought that they may struggle to improve and even maintain the Mountains standard but they've done it. Will be watching out for future releases with anticipation. Great to see and hear that experimental Prog lives on. They deserve to become classic in their own right and on the basis of recent releases they're well in the way to doing so.

Nile Rogers Presents The Chic Organization: Up All Night: The Greatest Hits (Disco Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great CD for Chic fans of all ages., 2 Dec. 2015
As a long term Chic appreciator from the 70s I wanted to own a definitive collection of their work. This CD is it. The music speaks for itself and in my opinion epitomises Disco music but with a wider appeal. I am myself a prog rock fan (70s influenced again!) but that doesn't stop me appreciating the music of groups such as Chic, who in my humble opinion have the most unique take on this style of music and make me want to dance , an achievement in itself !!! Great CD! A must for Chic fans of all ages.

Live in America
Live in America

4.0 out of 5 stars No histrionics or showmanship just great music live!, 7 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Live in America (Audio CD)
Great live offering from SH who I recently got into via Prog mag. Now got all their back catalogue and before going to see them live I wanted to get a flavour of whether they can do the music justice live. No worries there after seeing this. Very tight and true to the originals and fab musicianship. There are some issues with clarity of images from some camera angles hence the 4 stars not 5 but as has been said, this doesn't detract from a great live DVD. These guys seem so unassuming but very driven in the music which comes across in their performance level. It's all about the music, no histrionics or showmanship here! Talent will always prevail and SH are super talented. Can't wait for their next offering.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3