Profile for Lee > Reviews

Lee "leebooo82"

Absolution
Absolution

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 10 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Absolution (Audio CD)
I bought this album on the strength of 'Origin of Symmetry'. I had high hopes and wasn't disappointed - I didn't think it was possible, but 'Absolution' is actually an improvement.
The instrumentation and vocals are completely over the top, which some may not like at first. But give it time and you'll realise how amazing this album really is.
I love how Bellamy's straining voice manages to get away with singing "This is the end. This is the end of the world..." in 'Apocalypse Please' and "You've got to be the best. You've got to change the world..." in 'Butterflies And Hurricanes'. He does it with such conviction that you can't help but be affected, and I can't think of anyone else who'd get away with those lyrics (not that they're bad, but they're pretty OTT)
Definately a contender for Album of the Year.

Kish Kash
Kish Kash
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost Too Cool, 10 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Kish Kash (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of the Jaxx since the day 'Remedy' was released.
But for me, this album's much more of a grower than the previous two – I couldn't get into it for several listens. Some songs grab you straight away ('Right here’s The Spot', 'Lucky Star' and 'Plug It In') but others just sound like crazy random noise (esp. 'Supersonic', 'Tonight' and 'Living Room'). For this reason, I couldn’t make my mind up.
After a few listens, however, I was hooked and I now love this album to pieces!
The first few tracks give a great start to the album and ‘Good Luck’ will makes a great single. But then 'Supersonic' is a slight departure, although it picks up towards the end. 'Plug It In' is amazing, but leads on to the weakest track of the album, 'If I Ever Recover' – it’s just too slow! Don't worry though, as its only 3 minutes long and creates great contrast with the next song, 'Cish Cash'. This leads on to the end section which is very cool, esp. 'Hot 'N Cold' and 'Living Room'.
All in all, 'Kish Kash' is an amazingly cool fusion of funk, rock and house with some pumping tracks that'll be stuck in your head for the rest of the day. Great grooves, top vocals and beats you MUST crank up the volume to fully appreciate.
Give it time, it will pay off.