Profile for ED Farr > Reviews

On Cats
On Cats
by Doris Lessing

5.0 out of 5 stars Meiow!, 16 Jun. 2015
This review is from: On Cats (Paperback)
This book was brilliant. I loved it, the stories are enticing and page turning even for someone who isnt really a cat lover. The imagery in the writing encourages you to read on. You can picture the scenes as they happen, you can imagine the glares from the cats when she does things to them that they really don't like (taking them to the vets for instance).

i have lent this book to three people so far and i am sure they will be many more. It would be a great read for a book club and even suitable for teenagers.

Dolcis Womens OLS247 Loafers Black 4 UK, 37 EU
Dolcis Womens OLS247 Loafers Black 4 UK, 37 EU

3.0 out of 5 stars shiny shoes, 16 Jun. 2015
bit disappointed with these, they are quite a tight fit with no real give to them and after a couple of weeks, the soles are starting to disintegrate already.

Rocket Dog Womens Tori Ramones Patent PU Loafers Black 4 UK, 37 EU
Rocket Dog Womens Tori Ramones Patent PU Loafers Black 4 UK, 37 EU
Offered by SOLETRADER-OUTLET
Price: Click here to see our price

3.0 out of 5 stars new shoes, 16 Jun. 2015
they look smart and i like them, but probably a bit expensive for what they are

Queen Camilla
Queen Camilla
by Sue Townsend

2.0 out of 5 stars Queen Who?, 16 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Queen Camilla (Paperback)
Hard to define this book really. It is the second Sue Townsend book I have read recently and found disappointing. There are are mild sections of amusement in the book, but no laugh out loud parts, which I would have expected. The plotline is very similar to the Queen and I, but not as good. The Royal Family have been banished to an exclusion zone by the reigning Parliament, an exclusion zone which also includes any other character that the Government feel not appropriate for the country want to live in. The residents are tagged, tattooed and hold ID cards that are checked at regular intervals. Not happy with that the Primeminister now wants to banish dogs from all existence. The ending seems hurried and, well odd.

The plotline isnt particularly good, it is not a page turner and i found it boring to say the least. I read to the end but only out of curiosity to see if, at any stage it got better, it doesnt. Im not sure who I would recommend it to if I had to, probably no one, even as a holiday read, there isnt enough in it for a book club to discuss, other than has Sue Townsend lost it since the demise of Adrian Mole?

Hell's Gate (Mollel 2)
Hell's Gate (Mollel 2)
by Richard Crompton

2.0 out of 5 stars Just buy a Guide Book!, 28 May 2015
This review is from: Hell's Gate (Mollel 2) (Paperback)
Detective Mollel has been stationed in a beaten-up town on the edge of Hell's Gate National Park. He hasn't been there long before he senses his new colleagues might have something to hide. Hells Gate is the second of the Massai detective Mollel series, and too be fair to the author I think you will benefit from reading “The Honey Guide” to fully appreciate this novel.
The description of the AFraican countryside is stunning and graphic, there are times where you can feel yourself there, the dust running over your feet and the heat of the midday sun hot upon your face. Even the evening scenery of the novel gives you shivers with a clear hint of greed and sheer evil. But, there is nothing of that kind for Mollel. Every now and again you get an inside glimpse into his background as a Massai and the life he would have lived, but no more.
Hells Gate as a storyline is quite confusing. There are bits of story dotted in amongst other story lines within the book and although some of them add up and have an ending there are other bits I am still wondering about. Possibly they are waiting for the next Mollel novel to complete them. Mollel at one stage (who is, we have been told at the beginning of the book, well out of favour with the Nairobi Police Force) is given an “initiation” test by his new colleagues, this is very creepy, the dust is there the evil in voices is there, the reader all ready to find out what happens…and then, oh, we’ve moved on. I am not inclined to go and look for The Honey Guide (Mollel 1) and wont be holding my breath for the publication of Mollel 3.
There is not much in the book for a reading group to benefit from, there isn’t an awful lot to talk about in the sense of a crime novel. They would perhaps be better looking through a Guide to Kenya.

Dear Thief
Dear Thief
by Samantha Harvey

5.0 out of 5 stars A love lost and gap to fill, 30 April 2015
This review is from: Dear Thief (Hardcover)
This is the first Samantha Harvey novel I have read, found by sheer chance at the public library. A letter we all probably wish we could write to someone who we have been close to and lost touch with. Its openness talks about the love you shared together, the angst such a close friendship brings and the hate that comes when you love something you cherish. A thoroughly engrossing book with enough detail to transport you on your own little journey and dreams of writing the same kind of letter to someone you have known.

Elizabeth is Missing
Elizabeth is Missing
by Emma Healey

5.0 out of 5 stars A blessing for the world of life with Dementia, 30 April 2015
This review is from: Elizabeth is Missing (Paperback)
What a stunning book. Well writing, enticing and a real reflection of what I think someone living with Dementia really goes through. It was hard to know who ly empathy laid with, the mother who had dementia or her daughter, Helen has a severe lack of insight into what is a vile disease Dementia can be without the right support. I wouldnt want to write too much more, because I wont do it any justice.

Don Quixote (Wordsworth Classics)
Don Quixote (Wordsworth Classics)
by Miguel De Cervantes Saavedra

1.0 out of 5 stars No need for sleeping tablets!, 28 April 2015
Goodness me, talk about lose the will to live! I got to page 100, I didnt know who was talking, what was happening and why it was happening. We read this at book club, there are 7 of us in our group and the only person who had finished it had used their initiative and bought the abridged version!!!

100 Wisdom Stories: From Around the World
100 Wisdom Stories: From Around the World
by Margaret Silf

4.0 out of 5 stars Full of wisdom, 28 April 2015
I was recommended to buy this book by my curate. I use it for preaching at family services and have also used it as short stories for my son. The tales are easy to read and imaginative. Some of them are known from other versions but the writing is dramatic and imaginative and suitable for all. The cover isnt the most original in the world...but we shouldnt judge a book by its cover!

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Just for information, 27 April 2015
Not sure whether we are a stand alone case, but after giving this to my 12 year old cocker spaniel for 4 days, it made her incontinent. Never has "leaked" before and she wasnt aware of it even when it was happening. There was no information on the box about side effects and nothing mentioned on the website. So this is just an FYI rather than anything else.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12