Profile for Mr. A. Peters > Reviews

Content by Mr. A. Peters

Mr. A. Peters (Shropshire)

A Thousand Laurie Lees: The Centenary Celebration of a Man and a Valley
A Thousand Laurie Lees: The Centenary Celebration of a Man and a Valley
by Adam Horovitz

5.0 out of 5 stars All that distillation of his great poet mother Frances and his father Michael, 12 July 2014
So, have just finished reading the superb Adam Horovitz book about growing up in the Slad Valley http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thousand-Laurie-Lees-Centenary-Celebration/dp/0750953764 which completely blew me away. I knew Adam back in the 1990s when I did some schools based writer in ed work in Stroud and I sensed a young man who had been through a lot {loss of his mother among much else - read the book} and who was trying to find his way. He has. All that distillation of his great poet mother Frances and his father Michael, and the Slad Valley itself with its lyrical veneer still of Cider With Rosie has led to this fully fledged, lyrical memoir. In this book, that is both honest and nostalgic autobiog and intense nature writing combined, Adam has found his own voice, utterly. I started reading it one day, finished it the next and did not want it to end. Yes, there is homage to the past, to his encounters with Laurie, and plenty to learn along the way but this is a tale about a young man and his relationship to a hidden valley. It should be up there with Edward Thomas and Richard Jefferies. Thank you. And my teacher friend Angela, back then, said I should go the pub where Laurie Lee still held court at night, still in residence and I did not. So this is the closest I get to Laurie and I am glad of it.

Innova Clip Frames A4 Pack of 10 Clear - Color: Clear
Innova Clip Frames A4 Pack of 10 Clear - Color: Clear
Offered by Elex

1.0 out of 5 stars not A4, 11 Sept. 2013
Furious. Should have read one of the previous reviews. If you print borderless A4 photos on professional paper, you expect the frames you buy to fit. These don't. They are slightly longer {probably about 300 rather than 297mm}. It makes photos look terrible as they do not fit. I am now trying to return them.

Mockingjay: 3/3 (Hunger Games Trilogy)
Mockingjay: 3/3 (Hunger Games Trilogy)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 29 Dec. 2012
This is a review from a teenager, in my consideration this is one of the most thrilling, superbly written and gripping book I have ever read! Highly recommended

Ground Of Its Own
Ground Of Its Own

5.0 out of 5 stars Remaking folk music for 21st Century, 18 July 2012
This review is from: Ground Of Its Own (Audio CD)
Heard an interview with Sam on Front Row and was intrigued. I have moved away from folk music in the last decade but the snippets I heard made the hairs on the back of my hand stand up. I don't say this lightly. Here is a great new voice reinterpreting the folk tradition for modern times. His voice is exquisite, carrying all the emotional lament for the past within its nuance. The arrangements are out there, using Jaw harp and other instruments to build up incredible layers of sound. Buy this album. Be blown away and thank the gods of old there are still people out there making music for music's sake and not just the mindless pap of ages or the froth of reality tv. Well done Sam, more please.

Lloytron B7501BK Wireless Mains Plug-In Door Chime
Lloytron B7501BK Wireless Mains Plug-In Door Chime
Offered by Guilty Gadgets

1.0 out of 5 stars rubbish, 3 May 2012
I am furious about this and should have read the reviews. Nearly missed several deliveries and one important appointment as the bell simply didn't work or only worked intermittently. Bought it because it looks funky. But looks aren't everything. I have asked for a refund.

Rockoholic
Rockoholic
by C.J. Skuse

5.0 out of 5 stars I laughed and was moved, 9 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Rockoholic (Paperback)
Just finished this amazing book, which I read in under two days, skiving off work because I couldnt't put it down. Such funny moments - the idea of a rockstar being kidnapped by the underhand use of a Curly Wurly to lines such as 'looking so sheepish, you could knit a jumper from me.' and when the hero of the book Jody is falling out with her sister 'Halley and I couldn't reach an understanding if it was a centimetre away. What a delight - a book that is filled with both tons of great writing and a story that absolutely makes you want to know what happens next and really plays out that fantasy 'what would happen if' moment which in this case involves a teenage girl and her number one obsession, rock star legend Jackson from a band called the Regulators. Have to absolutely recommend this for YA and adults who remember their own teenage music obsessions.

Covent Garden: The Fruit, Vegetable and Flower Markets: Images from Fruit, Vegetable and Flower Markets
by Peter Ackroyd

5.0 out of 5 stars the perfume of the past, 5 Oct. 2009
These photos are incredible - an alladin's cave of carved faces, light and shadow, echoes of the past, of a London that Clive was able to capture before it was overlaid with the tourist purgatory that is Covent Garden today. We shall never see this world again, but thanks to this incredible book at least we have a hint of it.