Profile for John E. Davidson > Reviews

Content by John E. Davidson

John E. Davidson (Purley)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
USN BCAA Power Punch Amino Acid Plus Blend, Tangerine, 400 g
USN BCAA Power Punch Amino Acid Plus Blend, Tangerine, 400 g

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Product, 22 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Product delivered in a large tub which appears to be only half-full. The powder is very fine so I suspect that there has been some settling during transport. There does not appear to be a measuring scoop included (I guess it could be buried deep in the powder); not a problem I have numerous others.

The product mixes quickly and easily producing a rather garish orange(ish) liquid. I cannot say that is looks particularly appealing nor that I am particularly keen on the taste. A little too synthetic for me.

My usage is neither systematic nor scientific enough to make many meaningful comment about it’s effectiveness. However, subjectively I feel it is having some positive impact.

Rapesco Display Book - A4 Poly View, 40 Pocket (Red)
Rapesco Display Book - A4 Poly View, 40 Pocket (Red)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Pocket Display, 20 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The outer cover is robust - the inner sleeves are perhaps a little flimsy but not flimsy enough to cause problems. Overall it is well constructed.

To some extent one’s opinion about document holder/display pouches is determined by requirements. I happen to have a requirement for which this folder is ideally suited (my wife teaches woodwork at a local primary school and this folder is perfect for holding designs and drawings); consequently I think it is great.

Salter 513 SSCR Stainless Steel Oven Thermometer, Silver
Salter 513 SSCR Stainless Steel Oven Thermometer, Silver
Offered by HoMedics Group

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat, Simple, Effective, 20 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a neat & simple oven thermometer. It is large enough and clear enough to be visible through the oven door. Simply place it in the oven (hang it or place on a shelf) and away you go.

We have had some issues with inconsistent oven temperature and this has proved very useful in confirming the actual temperature. My older son is using it for his cookery at school. There is massive variation between different ovens at school and consequently he has had problems with oven temperature and timings. This thermometer has already proved very useful and helped him produce more consistent results.

Rapesco X5-25ps Stapler, Less Effort, 25 Sheet Capacity - White
Rapesco X5-25ps Stapler, Less Effort, 25 Sheet Capacity - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice small stapler, 15 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very nice, small (white in my case) stapler.

The staples are top loaded & simple add.

The major selling point is how easy it is to staple (i.e. how little effort is required to depress the arm and apply a staple); the stapler delivers.

Overall - a good stapler.

USN Diet Whey Isolean Protein, Vanilla - 1 kg
USN Diet Whey Isolean Protein, Vanilla - 1 kg

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Protein, 11 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have the Vanilla flavour Protein Powder; it seems to be a good product. It has a more than decent flavour, certainly better than many other Protein powders I have used; most importantly it is clearly vanilla and not too sweet. It mixes well with both water and skimmed milk (I’m using a shaker with a wire ball - mixes quickly and easily). It makes a very drinkable shake.

The primary reason I use Protein powder is to try to reduce muscle soreness post-workout; this powder seems to do the job as well as others I’ve tried. My usage (of the powder) is neither systematic nor scientific enough to make many meaningful comment about the effectiveness of any of the specific ingredients.

The re seal-able pouch works well although it is initially very full.

Mitre Delta BRZ Goalkeeper Gloves - Yellow/Green/Black, Size 9
Mitre Delta BRZ Goalkeeper Gloves - Yellow/Green/Black, Size 9

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gloves, 11 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These a really nice goalkeeping gloves. Probably too good for anything other than match play.

The palm is thick and very well cushioned - initially I was concerned that the gloves would be too rigid and the thickness would reduce grip and/or feel - these fears were unfounded - they are nice and flexible and provide good feel and excellent grip.

The breathable finger panels and back panel both seem to work well. Overall they are very comfortable. I must admit I thought that the Punch Zone was a bit of a gimmick but having used it I rather like it.

Only issue - I found the fit a little on the tight side. However, it is a minor issue - excellent

Street Dance: The Best Moves
Street Dance: The Best Moves
by DJ Hooch
Edition: Flexibound

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Constructed, 10 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A really well constructed guide.

There are sections on B-Boy, Popping, Locking, Hip Hop & House. Each section covers a series of moves, 10 suggested tracks and some fashion hints. The meat of the book is the moves. Each move is described in a series of pictures (with a short commentary).

The format works... An excellent book.

101 Cocktails to try before you die (101 to Try Before You Die)
101 Cocktails to try before you die (101 to Try Before You Die)
by François Monti

4.0 out of 5 stars Packed with useful information, 4 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is my second 101 Things To Do… book and I’ve been very impressed with both of them. This is very similar is style, look and feel to my other 101 book (I guess the brand managers have been hard at work).

The book devotes a double page spread to each of the 101 cocktails.

Each double page includes: a colour picture, the ingredients, preparation (including an assessment of difficulty), style (of cocktail), presentation and type of glass, taste & finish, along with,a couple of paragraphs of background and other information. Much of the information provided is interesting; some is fascinating.

The book finishes with an overview of some of the techniques and a glossary.

Recommended.

Jam Audio 2.0 Classic Speaker - Black
Jam Audio 2.0 Classic Speaker - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little speaker, 1 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very nice little Bluetooth speaker. I think it looks good; it is roughly the size of a clenched fist and highly portable. The most impressive thing is the sound - it is nice and loud, very good for a budget speaker. We own similar products (in roughly the same price range) and this one is clearly the best.

Unfortunately when I turned it on my teenage son won the Bluetooth pairing race and I was forced to listen to some of his music selections. I think he turned it down (in terms of the selection) but he didn’t turn down the volume. Nirvana sounded great at almost full volume.

Unfortunately he believes the speaker is his (some sort of dibs etiquette) and has removed it to his room. When I summon up the nerve, find the appropriate protective wear and have a particularly bad cold I will attempt to retrieve it.

Driving Test Success Theory Test
Driving Test Success Theory Test
Offered by Book Depository

4.0 out of 5 stars Triumph of content over style and delivery, 1 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This DVD is packed with some excellent content but I have some serious reservations about the style and delivery.

The content really is very good and will definitely be of assistance for those attempting to pass the theory test.

However, it is designed to “play with DVD player & TV’ rather than for a PC or tablet. This seems old fashioned and more than a little inconvenient. Furthermore the overall style feels rather dated (maybe that is due to the delivery format) and to put it mildly the music is not my cup of tea.

I waver between 3 & 4 stars - the content is good making the DVD genuinely useful however I have problems with a number of other aspects. I've gone for 4 but it could have been so much better and be warned there are things not to like.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2016 11:13 AM BST