Profile for Gazza Pocket > Reviews

Gazza Pocket

The Gloaming
The Gloaming

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Joy, 2 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Gloaming (Audio CD)
I often struggle to fully embrace the idea of 'folk' music. Recently, a friend and I were discussing the idea of a piece of music in that general genre that could really surprise and unexpectedly capture our imaginations...and as if by magic, he presented this extraordinary piece of work. I often struggle to describe the nature of this to people who have never heard it...it seems to beautifully refuse to fit into any particular musical pigeon hole. All I know is that it is pure joy...breathtakingly crafted and refined to an unimaginable level (the piano playing particularly melts me every time). As an English language speaker, I particularly love that the songs are sung in Irish- for me, it offers an otherworldliness.

I'm completely ensnared by this...and it may take quite some time to escape!

Free All the Monsters
Free All the Monsters
Offered by SmokeCDs

5.0 out of 5 stars Free All the Monsters, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Free All the Monsters (Audio CD)
My first Amazon review...and as far as I'm concerned, this piece of work all the way from New Zealand's south island demands reviews all over the place. I've been an engaged fan of the band and their music for many years...and 'Free All the Monsters' seems to bring all their history, craft and passion together so utterly perfectly. For me, it all sprung from taking my eye off the Bats scene for a wee while and suddenly being presented with the title track of the album...just about melting me with pop joy!
The rest of the album has reached places I couldn't possibly have dreamt about. I can't even identify specific tracks, so seamlessly it knits into an overall artistic creation.
I don't know if it's an age thing, but what the Bats and this album represents in today's world is very clear to me...it's a message that in the world of pop music, if you have some basic lovely ingredients and a little bit of faith, you don't need to necessarily keep re-inventing yourself. They have been totally uncompromising in developing their own spirit over time...and with application, resolve, intelligence, experience, they eventually produce a total masterpiece! Within such a seemingly simple musical structure, I can hear a whole expansive universe of sound and nuance...and beyond the input of Robert, Paul, Kaye and Malcolm, the album has been put together with such craft- it all sounds so luscious, bright and bristling with emotion. I've been listening to the story of its recording (as told by Paul) recently and even that's deliciously poetic- in an old asylum near the coast...with unique (and often disconcerting) memories and feelings feeding their art!

I strongly urge anyone with a feeling for crafted pop music to get involved with this....and I dare you to be as moved as myself!