Profile for S. R. Llwyd > Reviews

S. R. Llwyd "S.R. Llwyd"

Justification - God's Plan & Paul's Vision
Justification - God's Plan & Paul's Vision
by Tom Wright

5.0 out of 5 stars There is more to the cross than "sin management theology", 22 May 2009
I have been very much influenced by Mark Driscoll's sermons since I first listened in 18 months ago. But if I think about it he doesn't introduce any different ideas or emphasis from the emphasis I was taught growing up in a Conservative Evangelical Church here in Wales. He does it in a more cool/hip/rad/street-cred/cussing way, but content and emphasis wise it's nothing new for me. Tom Wright on the other hand balances me off nicely from an emphasis that was missing in my conservative evangelical upbringing. I became a Christian around the age of 14 I think - but for many years after that I didn't grow in the faith because the only thing I was taught was sin management theology - I already got that and what I needed was a deeper understanding of the Cross, a deeper understanding of the restoration through Jesus, a deeper understanding of His Kingdom. From the age of 18 onwards I saw that there was more to Christianity than sin management theology and by the age of 23 when I first got hold of books by people like Brian McLaren, Rob Bell and now Tom Wright I discovered that there were other Christians out there who had been through the same journey as me!

The emphasis of atonement for our personal sin is important, very important, perhaps the most important angle to get right but it is only half the story, the half I had been over fed with in the tradition I was bought up. Carrots and peas are good for you but eating only carrots and peas and nothing else is not good! It's not that I find the reformed evangelical account wrong; only that it tells half the story. There is another half to the story of the Cross and to the story of redemption and restoration. Perhaps Rob Bell and Brian McLaren over compensate a little at times (in the same way as some reformed evangelicals over compensate the other way) so we can look at Tom Wright as someone who gets the balance better to bring the discussion back to the centre. This is a'n important book.