Profile for Packidge > Reviews

Content by Packidge

Packidge

SanDisk Mobile Ultra microSDXC 64 GB UHS-I Class 10 Memory Card 30 MB/s + SD Adapter + Memory Zone App (SDSDQU-032G-U46A)
Offered by UkMobileAccessories

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read speed but write speed is below par, 25 Mar. 2013
I bought this card for my Acer Iconia W510, it is the largest and fastest micro SDHC and it works fine on the Iconia.

That said the performance of the Sandisk is not exactly scintillating so I tested it against a Transcend JetFlash USB 16GB key I have which is currently one of the fastest USB flash drives around:-

Reading on the Sandisk is performed at around 21mb/sec - this about 20% faster than the Transcend
Writing on the Sandisk is performed at around 8mb/sec - this is about 25% slower than the Transcend

The Sandisk is formatted in ExFAT whereas the same card in 32GB guise is formatted in FAT32. Therefore if you want to be able to read the drive on an older Windows machine (XP) for example you need to download and install ExFAT drivers (available from Microsoft).

Samsung SE-208AB/Tsrs Slim External DVD Writer - Glossy Red
Samsung SE-208AB/Tsrs Slim External DVD Writer - Glossy Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Very quiet, 15 Mar. 2013
I was looking for a quiet, external USB, self-powered DVD writer for my Acer Iconia W510. The Samsung SE-208AB meets these requirements and also provides Nero 12 on DVD. For a limited time, a free upgrade to Windows 8 is included although the download and installation of the Windows 8 software (250MB) takes rather a long time.

Poetic Flexbook 2in1 Keyboard Portfolio Case for Acer Iconia W510 10.1-Inch Tablet Black (3 Year Manufacturer Warranty From Poetic)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits like hand-made shoes, 15 Mar. 2013
This is a really well thought-out and well-made custom case for the Acer Iconia W510 which also looks extremely attractive. Access to all the ports is provided and there are cut-outs for the camera and flash. The case can be used with the screen docked to the keyboard or with screen only in which event the case can be folded back to provide a form of support.

Both the leather on the outside and suede on the inside look and feel like the real thing although apparently both are synthetic.

The whole thing is a little on the heavy side and the tablet tends to tip backwards as a result. Also removing the screen to use on its own becomes more complicated than just sliding the lock as it is a very snug fit in the cover.

Poetic have their own website and shop but for some reason their prices are considerably higher than the Amazon UK price of £16.95.

Acer Iconia W510 10.1-inch Tablet with Keyboard-Silver (Intel Atom Z2760, 2Gb RAM, 64Gb SSD, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the future, 15 Mar. 2013
The Iconia W510 is the future and a short trip in the past will help explain:-

I am an expert computer user who started out in computing in 1971, I have no fear of technology and enjoy change nevertheless, my main computer is still a trusty 10-year old Dell Dimension 4600 running Windows XP. This desktop machine has been updated with everything I can get to work under XP, both software and hardware - but it can literally go no further!

I (and apparently there are millions like me) have stuck with XP because neither Vista nor Windows 7 delivered enough benefit to justify the investment of money and effort to upgrade. I have also gone (several times) down the laptop road which is much-littered with my not-so-old but very dead or at least very redundant machines.

My only other "computing" companions are my Apple iPhone 4 and iPad 2. The iPhone has become an essential tool for me but the iPad is really just an iPhone with a bigger screen (but without the phone). Nevertheless, despite its lack of storage and connectivity, it is the machine I take on holiday to keep in touch with the world.

The Iconia W510 with Windows 8 is a game-changer - you see, it is a fusion of my Dell desktop and my iPad.

It (and machines like it) are the future because they bring the power of real computing to an iPad-like device.

Firstly let's look at what it can do that an iPad simply can't:-

1. You can store your stuff on it - if you get a microSD card then you can store a lot of stuff on it
2. You can get your stuff on and off it very easily (it has a thing called a USB)
3. You can use a Bluetooth mouse
4. You can easily print stuff from it to any printer
5. Your stuff can be secure (passwords, encryption, hidden folders)
6. It has a battery that can last at least as long as the fuel in an A380
7. Its battery is good enough for self-powered hard drives, DVD drives etc

Add to all this the fact that you can run real business applications and the iPad becomes yet another piece of redundant technology (I can't bear to consign my trusty Dell to the scrapheap just yet!)

As well as the Iconia W510, I bought some other equipment to create a complete solution to my needs which others may find of interest.

First, I got a Western Digital My Passport 1TB hard drive. This is self-powered either by the USB port on the keyboard or the micro USB port on the screen. I've used smaller My Passport drives and they are 100% reliable. 1TB is far bigger than I need but these disks is so cheap now there's no point in going smaller.

Second, I bought a Samsung SE-208AB DVD Writer. Again this is self-powered via either USB and gives me easy access to all the stuff that I still have on DVD. I could have got a Blue-ray version but couldn't really justify the extra cost

Third, I added a couple of Sandisk 32GB micro SD cards to my order - they are cheaper than a single 64GB and give me more flexibility. They are darned small, easy to lose and you look like a secret agent when you use them though.

Fourthly, a micro HDMI to HDMI cable because that way you can watch any movies or TV programs you have stored on a your micro SD card on a full size TV, alternatively you could work on the bigger screen if necessary.

Finally, I bought the Poetic Flexbook case which fits the W510 like a hand-made glove and looks really good. It certainly protects the machine very well while allowing access to all the ports etc. I could have done with a user manual as it not immediately obvious how to fit it on. The only downside is it quite heavy and tends to make the Iconia tip back when angling the screen.

I had the Bluetooth mouse already (it's a Trust laser model) and for me it's essential because I use CAD software which needs more precision than a podgy finger can provide.

Do I have any criticisms of the Iconia W510?

Sure, a faster processor would be nice but with that would come heat, the need for a fan, lower reliability and less battery life. If Intel could make a 3GHz Atom with the same power consumption as the 1.8GHz no-one would be complaining.

The mix of plastics looks slightly cheap (although I quite like the look) but the engineering overall seems very sturdy - time will tell.

There's a few things about Windows 8 I could criticise but this is a product which is going to evolve very rapidly so anything I say risks being out-of-date in no time at all. Without doubt it is a worthwhile replacement for XP and, in my view, will soon become the de facto operating system and remain so for some considerable time.

Finally, I should just say that unpacking the Iconia W510 is a wonderful experience and the delivery from Amazon was within 3 days.
Comment Comments (22) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2013 2:08 PM BST