Profile for Fizzr > Reviews

In Search of Rex Whistler: His Life and His Work
In Search of Rex Whistler: His Life and His Work
by Mirabel Cecil

5.0 out of 5 stars Best recent Rex Whistler book, 10 Aug. 2013
If you have never heard of Rex Whistler, now is the time to correct that omission. Covering every? piece of work, from sketches to trompe l'oeil murals, this is well researched and produced. His tragic early death during WW2 makes one wonder what else he could have produced. As an insight into the thirties lifestyle of the well to do artistes of the time, it reveals something of another era.

The Prince Of Mist
The Prince Of Mist

4.0 out of 5 stars Spooky horror for teenagers, 10 Aug. 2013
This is a lovely tense book of horror for teenagers, although as an oldie and a fan of Carlos Ruis Zaphon I couldn't put it down. Exciting and revealing family relationships. Full of intrigue.

Travels with Charley in Search of America
Travels with Charley in Search of America

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of great images, 10 Aug. 2013
Whatever your age, if you've ever felt like roaming around America with your dog (not in his first flush of youth) then this is the book. I learnt so much about the US and his relationship with Charley is full of values and caring that could easily be applied to humans. Another Steinbeck lesser known classic

Cannery Row (Penguin Modern Classics)
Cannery Row (Penguin Modern Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best John Steinbeck novel, 10 Aug. 2013
I have read every one of Steinbeck's books, and whereas many books have gone to the charity shops over the years - to make space- I would never part with any of my books by Steinbeck. On choosing which one to put on my new kindle, I chose this as I love the characters and know I can read it many times and never get bored

Le Petit Prince (Folio) (French Edition)
Le Petit Prince (Folio) (French Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars French or English - the best, 10 Aug. 2013
I was given this book as a teenager in France learning French. It has remained my all time favourite and is a great way to learn some words that can not be fully translated. There are so many quotable lines that seem to fit so many occasions. I have given a copy to all my young friends, although it is NOT a children's book. Buy, read, believe and be forever in love with le Petit Prince.

69 for 1
69 for 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness - a prolific writer - one of the best, 10 Aug. 2013
This review is from: 69 for 1 (Kindle Edition)
All Alan Coren books are brilliant. They always have been. It was very difficult to choose one above the rest to put on my Kindle. Reading this one (which I have read before) kept me laughing during a long nearly sleepless night awaiting a minor operation the following morning. Just the right book to read, as although there are short 'chapters', it is impossible not to continue to the next one. I recommend any of his books to anyone who understands irony and who is not afraid of laughing out loud.

Watching the Dark: The 20th DCI Banks Mystery (Dci Banks 20)
Watching the Dark: The 20th DCI Banks Mystery (Dci Banks 20)
by Peter Robinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Robinson's Banks the Best, 23 Mar. 2013
I have read every book Peter Robinson has written and I am always waiting impatiently for the next Inspector Banks Mystery.
In my opinion he is the best crime writer and has not had all the praise and admiration he rightly deserves. If you have never read any of his Inspector Banks Mysteries, start now. Pick any one, enjoy, and then start at the beginning and read your way through them all until you catch up with this latest, No 20.