Profile for Louise > Reviews

Louise (Surrey, UK)

In Two Minds: a Biography of Jonathan Miller
In Two Minds: a Biography of Jonathan Miller

4.0 out of 5 stars fascinating man, well told story, 9 Sept. 2013
I read this last year in hardback, and really enjoyed. A relative newbie to the world of Miller, I found this book to be very well written biography and a chance to get to know a thoroughly fascinating man. Was quite thrilled to, soon after reading this book, meet the man himself, and he did not disappoint. I especially loved some of the anecdotes in the book, and have to say, what a sneaky man Alan Bennett is! LOVED the tale of how he likes to wind up Miller, it amused me mightily (you'll have to read it for yourself).

I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue: The Best of Forty Years: Foreword by Stephen Fry
I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue: The Best of Forty Years: Foreword by Stephen Fry
by Barry Cryer

3.0 out of 5 stars Thought would be more than it was...., 30 Jan. 2013
Am a big fan of the show, and while this isn't a BAD book by any stretch of the imagination, it really is just a rehashing of best bits (which definitely lose something in written form, just not as funny, but then again, that's why its a radio art form!). Now that's no bad thing if that's what you were expecting, and indeed wanting, but I kinda felt like it coulda/shoulda been more than it was.... and to be perfectly honest, I kinda feel glad I won a free copy rather than bought it.... Still, I will treasure it (is signed by members of the cast so that's a joy if nowt else), and enjoy it when I do occasionally need my ISIHAC fix, but worth 20 quid? Only for the die hards methinks.

Cushtie - Original Pink
Cushtie - Original Pink
Offered by Prezzies

4.0 out of 5 stars I never fly without it, 30 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Cushtie - Original Pink (Toy)
Long haul flights can be a pain at the best of times, even when you're going somewhere so tropical and lovely it takes yer mind off the state of the weather back in Blighty. However, even the most trying of 'stuck in economy for 12 hours with a small child kicking the back of your seat' flights can be improved by a cushtie. Way better than those annoying, sucky, get yer neck in a cramp, inflatable neck pillows, I never fly without it. I love it. Even if it does make you look like your head is being nestled in Lola Ferraris bazongas...

Desert Island Discs: 70 years of castaways
Desert Island Discs: 70 years of castaways
by Sean Magee

4.0 out of 5 stars Bang on for Christmas, 30 Jan. 2013
Got this for the mother for Christmas, luckily she hadn't been near a bookshop in ages and hadn't noticed any of the publicity so didn't even know it was published. Thus when it arrived on Christmas day she was suitably thrilled and set to reading it post Christmas dinner. She was thrilled, and loves it. I want to nick it off her already. Job done.

Gielgoodies! The Wit and Wisdom of John Gielgud
Gielgoodies! The Wit and Wisdom of John Gielgud
by Jonathan Croall

5.0 out of 5 stars Chuckle marathon, 30 Nov. 2012
I read this book on an arduous train journey (arduous due to the train, not the book I hasten to add) to the North recently, and chuckled all my way into Scotland. Pithy, chuckle inducing, and gives you a real flavour of the man - a perfect Christmas gift for theatre lovers!

An Essential Medical Miscellany
An Essential Medical Miscellany
by Ayan Panja

5.0 out of 5 stars A little gem!, 24 Sept. 2006
What a little cracker of a book, I bought my mum a copy for her birthday and now the rest of the family have asked about it too (I know what I'm getting them for Christmas then!). I even saw one of the facts contained within these pages mentioned on Question Time! Funny, informative and perfect for pulling out random facts when you need to amuse or astound, I loved it.

Mother and Child Care in Art
Mother and Child Care in Art
by Alan EH Emery

5.0 out of 5 stars Another beautiful book, 24 Sept. 2006
I already have the two previous volumes and so cherished the news that a third was due to be published. The previous two have pride of place in my library and this one doesn't let the side down. A truly beautiful book featuring a wonderful collection of images. Finished at a very high quality this book is well worth every penny.