Profile for Grr > Reviews

Grr "Gumbo" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
ACE Breathalyzer one black, TU-Vienna-measurement accuracy: 98.60%, UK-Version
ACE Breathalyzer one black, TU-Vienna-measurement accuracy: 98.60%, UK-Version

2.0 out of 5 stars Not brilliantly designed and poor value for money, 20 Oct. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The major problem that I have with this breathalyser is that it has been calibrated against the US blood alcohol limit which is 0.05% where as in England it is 0.08% and limits vary across the UK. Now although this does mean that a safe result on this will mean that you are safe to drive in England it clearly is not tailored to the UK market (despite saying it is on the Amazon page) and shows a distinct lack of thought about where this will be sold. For a device that costs so much I am sure there must be a way to ensure that the device you purchase is tailored to your country of choice.

My second problem with the device is that is comes with a pretty paltry 3 mouthpieces and as you are meant to use them only once this means you do not exactly get value for money from the outset. Almost as soon as you buy the product you will need to look at making an additional purchase in order to ensure you can keep using it – though I am sure if you thoroughly cleaned the ones that come with the unit they could have more than one use. If the breathalyser was available at a lower cost the cost of additional mouthpieces would be more palatable but at the time of writing it is £70.28 to buy the main unit and £12.00 for 25 additional mouthpieces which is a pretty high investment.

Another problem I have found with this product is that the instructions are badly put together. They are not well translated and need carefully scrutiny to ensure you understand what they are asking you to do.

When you turn the device on to use you need to wait for it to finish a countdown which is displayed on the screen, when this reaches zero you need to blow into the mouthpiece steadily until the until you hear a click (which was not easily identifiable) at this point the device will display a reading on screen showing your blood alcohol % and a light in either red or green to indicate that you have successfully completed the test. The big issues here is that a green light does not indicate you are safe to drive simply that you have completed the test ok and a red light does not indicate a failed test simply that it has not completed correctly. This means you have to completely rely on interpreting the figures on screen for your result and ensure you do not get the wrong impression that a green light means a good test. Although this should be a fairly simple task it would be far preferable to have a clearer way of interpreting results.

Overall I found that although this arrives well packaged and with nice looking features, it has been designed fairly poorly and does not display results in the most intuitive way. There is also a serious lack of thought given to the country where it is to be sold. I had high hopes for this but have been left pretty let down.

Command HOM-18Q-ES Key Rail Quartz with 1 Rail/4 Strips
Command HOM-18Q-ES Key Rail Quartz with 1 Rail/4 Strips

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install, neutral looking and does exactly what you need it to do!, 7 Oct. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First off this key rail looks really good, yes it is made of plastic with no metal on the hooks or the rail, but it is clean, bright and neutral which is really what you want from a key rail - there to do a job but not obtrusive or garish.

Secondly this rail is really easy to install - no screws, rawl plus or drills in sight. you simply take three of the six adhesive pads supplied and adhere them to the clear plastic rack on the back of the rail. Once in place you chose your area of wall and ensure that this is completely clean and free of any dust - surgical spirirt does this really well. Once your wall has been cleared you remove the second set of covers from the pads on the back of the rail and place it into position on the wall. At this point it can be a little tricky - you need to lift the front rail and slide it out of the plastic backing that is now stuck to the wall - take your time, you don't want to pull the sticky bits off the wall. At this point you need to press the adhesive pads firmly to the wall to ensure they have struck firmly and leave this in place for about an hour in order to achieve the best adhesion possible. After this you can slide the plate and hooks back into position and voila, one key rack!

This has been a great addition to our house and it supports weight well - although we are only using it for two sets of keys I have tested it out with slightly heavier items and it seem to have no problem with them at all. I wouldn't want to go too crazy though!

To remove the rack you should slide the hooks and plate off the base and then pull the tabs on the advehice strips down so they come off the wall - we have used this technique with other Command products and it is very simple and has left no damage at all - we have not tried this with the key hanger as we want it where it is but as it is the same system I have previously used I can't see it causing problems.

All in all this has provided the solution we needed without us having to get the drill out and it looks great!

OriginalMineral Project Sukuroi 100 ml
OriginalMineral Project Sukuroi 100 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely locks for those who blow dry their tresses!, 7 Oct. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When you first see this product you can clearly tell a lot of work has gone into the design and packaging of it. There is gold shine everywhere. It’s a bit blingy for me personally but at the same time I can appreciate that a strong product design will make this stand out from your average hair product.

This is an interesting product, it’s something that seems to cross the line between a styling product and a hair treatment. The product itself is s a golden/honeycomb toned crème textured balm that’s a medium consistency – not runny as such but not too firm either. It has a warm, sweet fragrance that works well with on hair and linger enough to let you appreciate it but without being too strong. The product is designed to be used on wet hair before you blow dry and style. The instructions state that you apply a small amount to damp hair and then blow dry as normal. After this they promise you’ll be left with super soft, shiny looking hair that feels like you haven’t got any product on it.

I am not great at blowing drying my hair and so I have had to make an extra effort to try this out in accordance to the instructions – I have also tried it on my hair normally without blow drying so I have been able to see the difference the heat makes. Firstly I want to say that if you do blow dry your hair on a regular basis this is a great product. You don’t need a huge amount when you apply it so this 100ml tub should last a good while. When you do put it on your damp hair it applies well and once dry it will give your locks a lovely feel and sheen. It doesn’t leave any feeling of residue and does really feel as though it is helping to repair damaged ends and lengths. When I have applied this to my hair whilst damp and not blow dried it I have noticed there is an effect on the texture and look of my hair but it is nowhere near as pronounced as if I have blow dried it. For me this product will probably only get used when I have an event as I don’t want to waste it day to day as the effect is not that great.

I have also looked up this product online using google and it does seem to be available at lower prices than the current £30 price on Amazon. That is not to say that £30 is not a good price for a quality product but that you may well want to shop about to get the best deal.

In all this is an extremely effective product for those people who regularly blow dry their hair and want a product that will make their hair feel light and protect from styleing heat. For those of us who don’t dry their hair often it is a nice treat to be used now and again and is a great pick me up to improve self esteem and make you feel a little pampered (two children under 5, working full time – anything that makes me feel like I am giving myself a little ‘me time’ gets a big thumbs up). It does seem fairly pricey but shop about and you may find it at a lower price – although I don’t think £30 is too expensive for the effect it has.

Hasbro Cranium Dark Game
Hasbro Cranium Dark Game

2.0 out of 5 stars Who is this aimed at?, 2 Oct. 2016
This review is from: Hasbro Cranium Dark Game (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This game has been met with a resounding 'Meh' accompanied with an non-committal shrug of the shoulders.

Don't be taken in by the packaging etc, this is not an 'adult' version of Cranium, certainly it's a million miles away from 'Cards Against Humanity' and other games which its design is clearly attempting to ape. You can happily plays this game with your granny and tweens. It is, at best, mildly controversial or risqué.

Which begs the question - what was the point? It's not a bad game per se, just a bit tired and pointless. It's ok to play with a few wines down you but it doesn't promise longevity.

Cranium proper is a great game and one we all enjoy playing in this house and i'd urge anyone eyeing this to check that out instead. This? I don't really know who it's for.

Levivo Set 20020000132 Drinking Bottle with Straw and Exclusive GU Booklet Sommerdrinks at Home (Set of 4, Glass, Nude, 18.9 x 6.5 x 6.5 cm 4 Units

2.0 out of 5 stars I like these lidded, 20 Sept. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like these lidded, straw drinks bottles that have become popular recently. Especially living in a house with children running around, lids mean minor spills rather than big ones.

I've picked up a few sets of these from a local supermarket - all glass, one lot shaped like Teddy bears, all coming with little crates- for very reasonable prices - around the £10 mark.

These are priced a lot higher - over £20 at time of writing - so I anticipated a higher quality product to be honest. There is nothing wrong with them as such but the glass, the lid and straw seem no better quality than the cheaper ones out there. They also don't have any crate or anything whch seems standard for this sort of item elsewhere.

So, look, they are perfectly fine but there are comparable - and better - options out there for much less.

Raw Organic Virgin Coconut Oil 500ml Tub
Raw Organic Virgin Coconut Oil 500ml Tub

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but costly, 20 Sept. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The health benefits of coconut oil have been much publicised of late and have been well repeated in the majority of reviews here already so I shall spare you all another run down of these claimed benefits and crack on with my experiences of using this product for cooking.
I am suspicious whenever things are labelled as superfoods, a term that I dislike, but was happy to try this product as coconut already featured fairly often in our cooking and anything that may make our mealtimes that bit healthier has to be worth exploring.
Thus far I have used this oil solely for savoury dishes so can only comment on these but, overall my experiences have been positive. Perhaps it’s a sign of caution but I have primarily used this for Asian, Indian etc meals and have had decent results here. Whether stir frying some chicken and veg in a sticky sauce, or frying some fish with greens and chilli or throwing together a Madras or Thai Green Curry, this has done well. It doesn’t smoke quickly and melts from its solid form faster than butter and is not especially runny or greasy.
My sole experiment outside of the above cuisines was to roast some Potatoes in the oil for a side dish. This was not such a success as I could taste the coconut flavour quite strongly. (Others in my house hold said they could not or barely noticed it so who knows – it may depend on how sensitive your taste buds are!)
Overall, I have used this in making a good 10 meals over the last three weeks and have barely used any of the tub so it certainly should last a fair while.
Whilst my wife has yet to slather the stuff al over her face and try it as a beauty product, she has expressed an interest in trying this. I may well revise this review depending on the results of this.
Overall, I have enjoyed using this oil in the kitchen and have found it has worked well. The price would probably put me off buying more but if it was on offer, I’d snap it up no problems.

NERF N-Strike Elite Hyper Fire Blaster
NERF N-Strike Elite Hyper Fire Blaster

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but a fiddle, 7 Sept. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Now this is fun - LOT of fun! It's rapid firing, target destroying chaos and enormously satisfying to mess about with! The kids like to play with it as well. When I let them that is!

Despite the above comment, the three stars are all I can give it. There are a few reasons for this - the blaster does fire all the foam darts at an impressive rate but it takes an age to reload it which clearly leads to some pretty big drops in play momentum and can be quite patience stretching for the littler folk. It also needs big old batteries - not a problem in itself obviously - but it does seem to drain them very quickly which does make this quite an expensive toy to run.

Overall this is lots of fun to play with but t can also be a tad frustrating, so a positive but not ecstatic three stars from me.

Bee Good Youth Enhancing Moisturiser, Plump and Firm 50 ml
Bee Good Youth Enhancing Moisturiser, Plump and Firm 50 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely moisturiser with a slightly high price tag., 2 Sept. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This moisturiser is a lightly fragranced medium thick facial cream. The bottle is a pump action dispenser and I usually use two pumps for each application.

The cream smoothes well into my skin and doesn't leave a residue, however I do find that for the first 10 minutes or so after application my skin can feel a little 'blocked' kind of like when you have applied a high SPF sun cream. This doesn't seem to last long though and afterwards my skin is left feeling soft and hydrated throughout the day - with no sign of any adverse reaction at any time. I have only been using this cream for a short time but my skin does seem a little brighter than it has done - I don't tend to wear foundation regularly so any changes in my skin are quite easily noticeable.

The fragrance in the cream is really lovely and gentle and not at all overpowering which is something I really appreciate. I find that many moisturisers are a little over the top scent wise and so to find one that has the right level of scent for me is great.

I am usually a huge fan of Burts Bees products and so this moisturiser is exactly the sort of product I like however I do think that it is a little pricey. I know you can pay far far more for skin products but a comparable Burts Bees product is around £8 cheaper hence my 4 stars instead of 5.

Bright Starts kaleidoscope safari portable swing
Bright Starts kaleidoscope safari portable swing

5.0 out of 5 stars Brightly coloured, user friendly, safe and quiet baby swing!, 2 Sept. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This baby swing is one of the really useful baby products out there – and there are a LOT that are very much NOT useful! It is a well-made, simple to assemble swing that does exactly what it is meant to.

When you take the swing out of the box you have to assemble the parts by pushing the springloaded pin locks on the poles together – these ensure that you can take the seat apart but they also hold the structure securely in place. The poles themselves are plastic coated tubular steel so extremely sturdy and strong. They are also nice and easy to clean which is always a bit of a bonus. It also has non slip feet which is really useful on floors that are not carpeted – we have tended to move swings with us through the house so the baby has been wherever we are and this is not always on a carpeted surface – there has been lino and wood and the extra grip of the feet mean the swing won’t start ‘walking’ itself over the floor when it is in use.

The swing motor has several different speeds which you can set meaning there should be a perfect soothing setting for any baby and it’s also important to note that the motor on this is extremely quiet. I wouldn’t say completely silent but it’s not something that isn’t going to disturb a baby or drive a parent crazy with incessant background humming – something that suddenly becomes very important when you have lots of electronic toys and equipment about.

The seat for the baby is adjustable depending on the size of the baby you want to put into it and there is a 5 point harness so that babies are secure in the swing – this is pretty essential – newborns cannot do much but they soon learn to wriggle themselves about and sometimes lead with their head if they really exert themselves – you don’t want a baby plummeting out of this head first and as long as you fit these straps correctly you don’t have much chance of this happening.

The seat itself is wonderfully bright and colourful and the hanging toys are soft but interesting for little hands to pull at. It is certainly nice to look at for parents as well as children.

It is easy for fold the seat up so you can tuck it away when it is not in use – this is a feature which many more products really should have. To be able to fold up and put away is so important in most homes where space is usually at a premium it makes it high on my priority list whenever I am looking for a baby product. Folding the swing up does require two hands and quite a bit of co-ordination so it is unlikely that anyone other than an adult could do it meaning no trapped fingers if siblings try to ‘help’ at any point.

Sadly this baby swing does not come with batteries so if you are buying as a gift you may want to include these. It’s a bit of a shame these are not in the box as for the price it’s the sort of thing I would expect as standard but then it’s not a major hardship to buy some and fit them – 4x C size 1.5V - if you are anything like us you will already have drawers full of different sizes of batteries just in case some of the toys or small person paraphernalia needs a new power source – better an excess of batteries than the wrath of a toddler! Like most toys or equipment for children now, the batteries are housed in a compartment which requires a small screw to be loosened to take the lid off so be aware that you will need a small Philips screwdriver for this.

Overall it’s hard to fault this product and it’s something we really enjoy using and hope to continue using for a while yet.

Purina Pro Plan Medium Puppy for Sensitive Digestion with Optidigest Dry Dog Food Rich in Chicken, 3 Kg

5.0 out of 5 stars Great food for a fussy puppy!, 25 Aug. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We got this product to help try to feed an extremely fussy puppy. He was not eating full meals and was picking at bits and pieces but not actually eating much. The vet recommended the Purina brand so it was really great when we were offered this on Amazon Vine. At the time we also ordered the standard Purina Pro plan puppy food in the hope that at least one would be a hit. As we soon discovered both of these foods proved to be a success! Our little dude first tried the standard food and within half an hour he had slowly but surely eaten more in one session than ever before and the trend continued with this food. The small pellets are easy for them to chew and swallow and they smell good (even to my human nose) so our pup was immediately attracted to them.

As these are designed for a sensitive stomach we kept an eye out for anything suspicious emerging from the other end after he had eaten this and we were pleased to note that there was nothing notable and no noxious smells at any point either – something which can be a problem from time to time.

Overall finding these foods has really helped to give us peace of mind about our pup as he is now eating a reasonable amount and it also seems to be helping his energy levels. Yes this pet food is a bit more expensive than many out there but in this instance I believe you get what you pay for. If you have a puppy that is not eating well or that seems to have a bit of a sensitive tummy then I heartily suggest trying this food out. Highly recommended

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20